- Choice of design style: options and their features
- Country style
- High tech
- Modern style
- Loft style
- Classic style
Choice of design style: options and their features
Deciding on the design style of a small kitchen is the beginning of the beginning, the starting point of all actions. It is impossible to get a great option without armed with thoughtful blanks regarding the style of the room.
You should not try to delve into the deep essence of each style and “try on” it in your kitchen. Be guided first by the parameter “LIKE”.
Leaf through magazines, catalogs, browse sites with the necessary information. And try to understand – what you like, what style is more comfortable perceived, which corresponds to personal ideas about comfort and convenience. Below are examples of popular styles that can be applied in kitchen design..
A style that has well-defined features.
- rough ceiling decoration
- floral patterns
- light furniture
- overall impression of carelessness and comfort
To issue Provence style kitchen appropriate in a private house. If we are talking about a city apartment – this can be an additional advantage of your home. After all, how pleasant it will be in an atmosphere of rustic simplicity after a difficult working day!
Great for those who want to achieve an atmosphere of comfort and simplicity in the kitchen. Wood furniture (necessarily – muted dim colors!), A low hanging lamp over the dining table, range hood in its traditional form, the absence of stained-glass windows on the doors of cabinets – all these are characteristic features of the style. The main thing – everything should be seemingly simple, not artsy. NO PAPHOS, no glamor!
Country is a village style, a style of simple home comfort and warmth. Colors for the walls should be chosen from beige, white, sand, olive, light blue. Paul will look advantageous with imitation stone. For this, matte ceramic is best suited. tile.
This style is suitable for you if you do not plan to load an already small kitchen with an abundance of objects.
High tech features
|Utility principle||The whole design is subordinated to practicality and functionality..|
|Spaciousness||Yes, yes, this can be achieved even in a small kitchen! Modular furniture will make the kitchen ergonomic, and the abundance of glass, metal and light will visually expand the space.|
|Conciseness||For the high-tech style, the use of trifles, jewelry is unacceptable. Only rigor, only clean lines! In the case of a small space, this is only beneficial – it is not loaded with unnecessary items and visually preserves the precious volume of the room|
|Angles||The entire interior in this style is subject to simplicity and rationalism. Straight lines intersect at an angle, nothing scratches your eyes.|
|Technological equipment||High-tech is the most suitable style for lovers of modern technological innovations. It is in this style that kitchen appliances according to the latest progress are most appropriate. Naturally, all this should be harmoniously integrated into the overall kitchen design..|
We can say that this style does not have strictly defined features in its characteristics, but is subject to certain principles inherently. The kitchen will look modern if you follow some rules in its design.
- Severity. Decorative load should be minimal (or completely absent).
- Well-thought lines. No, no, this does not mean a lack of imagination and boring rectangular cabinets! But we must remember – the whole look of the room should be logically built, subject to functionality and simplicity.
- Modern technology. Perhaps this is the most obvious point, because we are talking about a kitchen in a modern style. The main thing is that the equipment successfully and harmoniously fit into the overall design.
- Innovative finishes. Glass, metal, wood in special processing, composite materials – all this is welcomed in the design of a modern kitchen.
This is where the most daring ideas can be realized, combining them with individual needs.!
Unusual layout, colors and unexpected finishes – all this is possible when choosing a kitchen in the loft style. But, as in any other style, you must adhere to certain rules. Otherwise, there is a risk of “messing up” in one room a lot of elements that interfere with each other and turn the design into chaos.
IMPORTANT! A LOFT-style kitchen is appropriate in those houses and apartments where the design of the entire dwelling is subordinate to this direction!
Zoning is one of the hallmarks of the loft style. If technical capabilities allow – it is better to remove the wall between the kitchen and the dining room. It will be replaced by a partition, bar counter or dividing a room into zones. The decor should be absent, its role is played by brick ledges, plastered walls, plank floor.
Having a small-sized kitchen, you should be very careful about its design, choosing a classic design option. The following are the hallmarks of style and space requirements. Consider combining them with a modest footage..
Having chosen a classic style, it is also worth choosing its option at the very beginning. It should be either a modest (restrained) design, or “rich” (with many decorative elements).
The principles of the design of the kitchen in a classic style
|Expensive furniture and accessories||The style of the classics will not tolerate cheapness. Therefore – choose high-quality materials for decoration and expensive solid furniture. In general, classic kitchens are made for many years; this style is not subordinate to fashion and trends. Therefore, do not save on furniture when planning a kitchen design for many years..|
|Good lighting||A large chandelier and additional lighting – perfectly suited for this design option.|
|Veiling work items||The facade of the headset, among other functions, must perform another important function – to “hide” the equipment. There are many design solutions in which the refrigerator and gas stove are almost invisible in the interior.|
|Functionality||To arrange furniture is so that it does not interfere with movement. A comfortable dining area is a must for a classic-style kitchen. To do this, the kitchen is often combined with a dining room, if we are talking about a small apartment.|
|Soft colors||Glitter of metal and flashy shades are taboo in this version. All colors (and their shades) should be unobtrusive, pleasant, “lively”.|
Read more about choosing a kitchen design.
How to equip a small kitchen
Small kitchen – THIS IS NOT A SENTENCE. The small size of the room should not be embarrassing and force you to abandon anything. The main thing is to correctly plan all your wishes in specific square meters, and the result will surely please.
- Services of specialists. The abundance of sites with options for interiors, a bunch of browsed magazines – that’s not all. There is nothing better than specific advice on exactly your kitchen. A competent designer will not only help determine the design of the kitchen as a whole, but also tell you a lot of tricks and unexpected ideas. After all, this is his specialization. Thinking through the idea yourself, you can miss some points due to your lack of competence. It’s not every day that each of us has to develop design!
- Fitting options. A large dining table does not fit into the modest footage of the room, and a multi-level ceiling will hang over your head if the height of the walls is small. Try to think of exactly those ideas that are acceptable for small kitchens..
- Castling. This may apply to either a particular piece of furniture or an entire area. For example: move the dining area to the living room if it is an adjoining room. Or: reduce the number of storage lockers in order to save space, and store some supplies in the pantry.
Read about the options for decorating the kitchen on the loggia here.
Features of kitchen projects according to the size of the room
Kitchen 6 sq m
The main principle in the design of such a kitchen is minimalism. You should not load precious meters with an abundance of decor and small details. Only necessary and functional pieces of furniture and appliances must be present
Kitchens 8-9 sq m
This footage allows you to more boldly plan the whole look of the kitchen. If the room is elongated, then 2 options are possible: the breakdown of the room into 2 zones or the arrangement of all furniture along one wall (with the opposite wall free).
Read more about kitchen design 9 sq m.
Kitchen 10 sq m
This size will fully satisfy the claims of the owners who want to combine the cooking zone and the dining area. At the same time, the kitchen can look quite spacious if you choose high-tech or classic.
More options kitchen interior 10 sq m.
Kitchen design in Khrushchev
At first glance, 5, 6 square meters exclude any opportunity to make the kitchen comfortable and beautiful at the same time. But this is a mistake! Use simple, but very effective design techniques:
- A lot of brilliance. Mirror surfaces and lacquered furniture facades will come to the rescue. Gender can also be chosen with a glossy effect. Reflecting surfaces, it will visually increase the room.
- Compact equipment. It is not necessary to put a standard gas stove with an oven in such a kitchen. The choice of equipment allows you to solve the problem of a small kitchen without problems. The hob can be small, conveniently fitting into the area of the worktop (the oven, by the way, can be placed separately).
- Custom solutions. Plan your kitchen so that the window sill can serve as a dining table. This will significantly save the square of the room and allow you to arrange everything you need in the kitchen.
Small kitchen in a private house
Most often, the size of the kitchen in a private house is much larger than in an ordinary apartment. Also, an undoubted advantage can be large (and sometimes very large) windows. Undoubtedly, in this case there can be an unlimited number of room decoration options. It’s important not to lose the atmosphere of free space, wanting to use every meter.
Almost any style is suitable for the kitchen in your own home. Provence, country and classic styles will be appropriate. In any of them, unobtrusive accents can emphasize unity with nature, suburban romance.
It’s important not to get carried away with the embodiment of the chosen “pure” style.
A modern high-tech kitchen will be somewhat inappropriate if the whole house has a romantic style. Also, one does not need to diligently promote the idea of rustic simplicity if the general style of the house is strict classic or modern.
The nuances of the design of the corner kitchen
The most important rule is to BEAT ANGLE! It may seem that corner kitchen carries a lot of problems both in design and in everyday use. But why not turn a disadvantage into an advantage, but inconvenience into a “highlight”? Make the corner “work”, let the kitchen be the most interesting room in the house.
How to choose kitchen furniture
First you need to decide which parameters are most important. If it is longevity, then the choice will be one. If – the original design, then the other. Of course, if you wish, you can combine all the wishes. It is important to determine the specific requirements for specific components of the interior of the kitchen.
Related article: Furniture for the kitchen (125 photos)
The strength and durability of the surface should be the main selection criteria. Especially if it is – dinner table, whose surface is used as a working one. Regarding the size of the table, everything is simple – consider the number of people who most often gather in the kitchen at the same time.
Read more about choosing a kitchen table in our separate article!
An experienced hostess knows the set of equipment necessary for her culinary concerns. Those who have to equip their kitchen for the first time may be at a standstill. What is an important necessity, and what is a tribute to the technical fashion and nothing more? In choosing household appliances, focus on your own preferences and habits. If you do not plan to bake, you can refuse the oven. This will save space and make it possible to place a more important element of everyday life in the kitchen. If you want to get rid of the need to wash dishes with your hands – the dishwasher will become a necessary and important part of the design.
Kitchen-living room. Pros, Cons, and Features
Most often, the question of combining the kitchen and the living room arises with a modest footage. By combining the two rooms, the hosts solve the problem of crowding. This decision is not always absolutely correct, because the kitchen-living room has not only advantages, but also some disadvantages.
The disadvantages include the following points:
- The rejection of the room. Combining the kitchen with another room, you reduce the number of rooms in your house (apartment). And if we are talking about “odnushka”, then we can assume that the whole apartment becomes almost a single room.
- The need for a unified design. When combining the kitchen with the living room, remember – the style of both zones should be common. Otherwise, a room with inconsistent style zones will look ridiculous.
But, of course, the kitchen-living room has obvious advantages. These include:
- Space. Combining the kitchen with the living room, you get a large free room. A nice bonus will be more light and improved ventilation. By the way, it is worth taking care of a good extract so that the smell of food during cooking does not spoil the air of the entire room.
- The original design. You can not refuse the dividing wall in principle. As an option – leave a large arch, formally delimiting the areas of the room. You can also “play” with the difference in gender level. The podium in the dining area visually separates part of the room without cutting it into parts.
Curtains in the kitchen
The choice of curtains is not the first question in the design of the kitchen. But no less important than everyone else! You need to start from the simplest moments.
If the passage to the window is clear, you can choose curtains to the floor. Long curtains are also great for options when the kitchen window belongs to the dining area of the room.
A small window should not be “hung up”. The best option is light translucent curtains or jalousie. A great solution in the design of a small kitchen can be roller blinds. Compactness is their main plus. Due to the fact that they do not go beyond the dimensions of the window itself, it is possible to arrange furniture in close proximity to the window opening.
Wallpaper in the kitchen: all the pros and cons
Choice question wallpaper in the kitchen very multifaceted. There may be many options, but each carries its own characteristics (both positive and not so).
When choosing a wallpaper, you need to try to take into account both practical properties and aesthetics. Simply put – the wallpaper should be resistant, resistant to wear and tear and at the same time fit into the overall design of the kitchen. The modern assortment will easily satisfy the needs of the most demanding customer. The difference in price will also please you when compared with the option of painting the walls. After all, preparing the walls for wallpapering is less expensive than in the case of using paint.
Having made your choice in favor of wallpaper, you should take into account some of their shortcomings. A kitchen is a room that is functionally used more than others. Therefore – the wallpaper in this room will wear out faster, no matter how high-quality they are.
Be prepared to have to change them more often than in other rooms.
Ceiling design in a small kitchen
In the design of the room, the appearance of the ceiling is not the last thing. Indeed, it is precisely due to some tricks with the ceiling that you can visually “open” the room, make it more voluminous, larger. The modern choice of ceiling option is pleasing and encouraging. After all, you can choose your own version that fits perfectly into the overall design concept.
Materials for ceilings and features of working with them
|Plaster||The material is simple and easy to use. An undoubted advantage is that the relief plaster hides the minor imperfections of the ceiling.|
|Wooden panels||As an option – the panels can be plastic. A wide range of colors and sizes makes panels a popular and convenient option. It is quite simple to arrange the ceiling with panels – they are mounted on a frame made of metal profile.|
|Ceiling tile (wooden, plastic, foam)||To decorate the ceiling with tiles, you must first level its surface and make a marking according to the size of the squares of the tile. Mirror or glossy tiles will make the room visually larger|
|Stretch ceiling||Undoubtedly, specialists should do such a ceiling. Stretch ceilings have many advantages: durability, resistance to dust, moisture, steam.|
|Drywall||A popular option having an army of fans. After all, this material gives room for imagination. The ceiling can be made curly, multi-level, different in texture and color.|