- The choice of curtains depending on the style of the kitchen
- Modern style
- Classic style
- East style
- High tech
The design of kitchen curtains should differ not only in its beauty, but also in practicality: their main function is to protect the room from prying eyes, but not to interfere with the penetration of light and the implementation of the cooking process. Therefore, traditional curtains with many decorative elements will not be appropriate here. They should emphasize the shape of the window opening and profitably brighten up all the flaws in the room. With the right choice of textile design, even the smallest kitchen will be filled with sunlight and will sparkle with new colors.
Curtains allow you to favorably present furniture or other decorative elements in the interior. They always attract all attention to themselves, and, using this fact, it is possible to emphasize favorably or, on the contrary, darken the desired subject.
Beautiful, tastefully selected curtains can affect our mood, increase efficiency, create an atmosphere of warmth, love, endless celebration of life in the kitchen. Here, women spend a significant part of their time creating culinary masterpieces for the joy of the whole family. So it’s especially important to create a space where the cooking process will be as comfortable as possible..
The choice of curtains depending on the style of the kitchen
If your kitchen is made in the Art Nouveau style, then you should choose standard curtains from synthetic, slightly shiny fabrics that are easy to care for. For such an interior, modern panel or roll varieties are also well suited: Roman curtains, Japanese and even ordinary blinds. But original, carelessly decorated draperies made of light translucent fabric will look especially impressive: they will emphasize the airiness of the kitchen and add light to it.
In the modern interior of the kitchen, photo curtains will look stylish and extravagant. As a rule, a photo is selected for a photo completely unexpected for the overall design of the room. For example, it can be an image of the Brooklyn Bridge on curtains in a kitchen in the Provence style, and a kitchen decorated in the style of a French cafe can be effectively complemented by photocurtains with views of the Eiffel Tower.
Serenity and coziness, grace of forms and furnishings – these are characteristic features of design in a classic style. Classic curtains will complete the look of such an interior, present expensive furniture favorably and bring the very zest that will make the atmosphere truly unforgettable. In a classic kitchen, try to avoid bright accents, rich and deep colors that can make the atmosphere difficult and uncomfortable..
Exotic kitchen interior with its motley multicolor and accentuated luxury is perfect for lovers of exquisite sophistication. The mysterious oriental atmosphere is perfectly complemented and emphasized by photocurtains with a calligraphic ornament or an exquisite pattern applied to them. Feel free to choose multi-level curtains with jabots, swagas, lambrequins, cascades. Shiny fabrics embroidered with gold, bright colors, fringe and tassels, intricate patterns of arabesques – all the highlight in the details!
Another interesting option for an oriental-style kitchen is an organza veil embroidered with oriental or floral motifs..
For such a kitchen it is very easy to pick up curtains, because almost any curtains are suitable here! The main condition is that they should not have complicated drapery, elaborate details, excessive splendor. The classic version is light curtains and thin curtains with English, Austrian, Roman themes. Curtains of French style must be complemented with ties, loops, drawstring. Choose textiles from light, light, maximum translucent fabrics to let maximum light into your colorful kitchen!
Please note that the cornice in your kitchen is not massive, otherwise all the lightness and simplicity of the Provence style interior will be lost. It should not stand out, but only exquisitely emphasize and complement the design of the window.
Of particular importance in the kitchen with a country design is the textile: it should be a lot, and it is he who sets the whole style of the room. The rustic interior is characterized by the use of the same fabric to decorate all the details: curtains, napkins, tablecloths, chair covers – they are all made of the same material, bribing the audience with its modest simplicity and creating an atmosphere of quiet home comfort. Also a great option for designing country-style kitchens can be jalousie.
For curtains in a country-style kitchen, light shades are most often chosen, for example, fabrics of white or cream colors, but always with a pattern! The colors of curtains typical for country are striped, in a cage, in a flower, farm-themed images (pets, village houses, ears, garden fruits). Among curtains of non-bright colors, variations of red, pinkish, yellow, orange, red, orange, light green or pale blue are also acceptable.
In Western kitchens, country-style windows are usually decorated with a simple lambrequin, marquise or shuttlecock. For example, you can sew a lush pelmet of bright fabric in a flower or a cage.
High-tech kitchen design is not only fashionable and original, but also practical. Stylish chrome surfaces will be beautifully combined with models of modern curtains, or the window can be left unchanged without decorating it with textiles.
A characteristic feature of such a kitchen is the maximum of free space, light, air. For the successful implementation of this task, it is good to use natural lighting. The window can be visually expanded with lightweight fabric blinds or roller blinds, which are easy to hide in a cassette if necessary. If the window is small, it is better to choose translucent roller blinds, which will let in more light and make the space even more free.
There are also options for minimalist kitchens, where the curtains of rich colors are combined in an ensemble with a modern apron and ceramic tiles and are bright fashionable accents in the interior.
How to choose the color of curtains
The color palette is a chic tool for implementing any design ideas and creating a dream interior. In addition, it is an indispensable assistant that helps visually expand the space, brighten up all the bumps and emphasize the advantages of the layout. For a small kitchen, this is especially true, so designers advise you to choose light curtains for it in lavender, blue, light green or pearl colors..
Textile decoration and dark colors are acceptable, but only for curtain lambrequins or Roman curtains so that the window decor does not interfere with the penetration of light into the room.
The choice of color can also be dictated by the style of the room. For a kitchen, a country is usually light-colored fabric with pastel stripes or bright colors; for a high-tech, all colors are cold, in a classic style, plain curtains or an ensemble of two or three colors are acceptable.
Here are a couple of recommendations for choosing the color resolution of the textile design of the window:
- If the kitchen windows face the sunny side and illuminate the room well – you can choose curtains of darker shades, if not – the curtains can only be made from light translucent fabrics.
- If your kitchen is done in bright colors, it is better to prefer simple monochrome curtains to balance the balance..
- You can not think of anything extreme and just pick up curtains of the same color as the facades of the kitchen or wallpaper.
- Curtains of neutral colors or creamy colors will look equally good in any style kitchen..
- Combine curtains from different colors and textures to create an additional visual effect..
When choosing a palette for the color scheme of the window, also do not forget about the meaning of the color and its effect on the mood and atmosphere in the room.
The color scheme of curtains. Psychological influence.
|Red shades||They cause mild aggression, bloodthirstiness. In such kitchens, food is often overloaded and overdone with pepper.|
|Acid bright colors (salad, lemon, purple)||Give cheerfulness and activity. Such a gamma in the interior contributes to long gatherings over a cup of tea..|
|Pastel colors (pink, turquoise, pale green)||Calm and pacify the owners of the apartment, stop the hustle and bustle.|
|Blue colors||They will bring freshness to the interior of the kitchen, give the owners harmony.|
|Green colors||Also soothe and pacify|
|Orange tones||Help improve mood and create a cozy atmosphere.|
Trendy colors of 2020
In this season, all kinds of gray are especially popular, ranging from silver, smoky “metallic” and ending with saturated tones of the color of wet asphalt. A wide range of different shades of gray provides many opportunities for experimentation..
The eco-theme in interior design, including kitchen design, has remained popular for several seasons. If this topic is close to you, feel free to choose curtains soft shades of white, beige, brown. At the peak of popularity is the gamut of forest flowers: muted brown, the colors of fresh greenery, autumn foliage and soft moss. Proponents of eco-movement prefer naturalness in everything: this applies not only to color, but also to texture.
Another fashionable color option for curtains is rich purple. It’s not always easy to choose a suitable background for this mysterious shade, but in an interior with a dominant light color scheme, it will always look spectacular!
Unusual textures and materials for curtains, the use of non-standard combinations and high-quality fabrics are popular. Designers advise choosing materials with a pronounced texture and original weaving, richly decorated with sequins, embroidery, lurex. As much sparkle and chic as possible! In the trend, the so-called “squeezed” fabrics and fabrics – “chameleons”, shimmering in different colors.
The kitchen is a great place to experiment with the color and decor of the curtains! Where else can I hang curtains with catchy bright spots and unusual applications? Here, fantasy ornaments and ethnic motifs that are fashionable this season can look equally good. According to decorators, now is the time to create and express yourself in design without any restrictions. So try and experiment!
Curtains for a small kitchen
The main function of curtains in such a narrow space is to let in as much sunlight as possible into the room. Therefore, the best choice for a small kitchen, regardless of its style, are translucent curtains of plain light fabrics that will literally fill the room with air. Forget about the complex shapes and pretentiousness of details: curtains with lambrequins, rich draperies – all this is certainly beautiful, but it will only pile up the interior.
So, the basic rules for choosing curtains for small kitchens:
- The material of the textile should be light and weightless, ideally – tulle or plain plain fabric. Say no to large drawings; discreet ornaments or small patterns are acceptable, but nothing more. Vertical stripes on the curtains will visually increase the height of the ceilings.
- In addition to traditional curtain models, Roman, French, Austrian, roller blinds, blinds and their various variations are also well suited..
Home blinds with a photo-pattern applied to them will transform any kitchen, as well as give its interior depth and expressiveness. Tulle blinds will look great in a classic interior, and for ethnic cuisine best suited, for example, bamboo blinds.
- In a small kitchen, every free place is worth its weight in gold! And the windowsill is no exception: curtains should provide free access to it, and not always get in the way at hand. Ideal – short curtains or roller blinds, Roman, French curtains that are easy to lift if necessary
- If the window is very small, you can visually enlarge it by hanging curtains that are wider than the opening itself.
Curtains in the kitchen with balcony
If your kitchen has balcony, you can be congratulated on this – this is a great addition to the kitchen space, which can be designed as a cozy sitting area or used for storing supplies.
You need to choose curtains that will not block access to the balcony. Neither lambrequins from above, nor additional veils on the side, nor shuttlecocks from below should interfere with the door opening. It is also important to consider that when you open the balcony door, the air from the stove will fly towards the curtains, which means that they must be made of durable, wear-resistant, non-shedding materials. If the gas stove is located near the window – it is better to choose fireproof fabrics.
Here are a few options for kitchen models with balconies that take these features into account:
- Roller blinds that can be combined to close the window exactly to the window sill, and the door to the floor.
- Vertical blinds – practical and fashionable – for a kitchen with a balcony in a modern style.
- Combined curtains. For example, on the window you can hang Roman curtains, and close the balcony door with a “Japanese” panel. When making them, you need to use one fabric in order to preserve the harmony of the composition.
- Lambrequin will perfectly combine window and door curtains, and in addition it will mask the cornice and beautifully decorate the balcony. True, such a lambrequin should be high so as not to interfere with the free opening of the door.
And if two windows
Designers are unanimous that the best solution for a kitchen where windows eat up most of the space is to leave them without a textile finish, just picking up bright frames. As an option, Roman curtains are acceptable, which are easily cleaned for full lighting of the room. If the kitchen is spacious and there are no problems with the area, feel free to place large decorative curtains on the windows.
Curtains for the kitchen in Khrushchev
The biggest problem in such kitchens is a critical lack of space. Therefore, the curtains in Khrushchev should not clutter up the space and block access to the windowsill, but at the same time their function is to close the room from prying eyes and adjust the quality of the room’s lighting. To solve these interior problems, the following varieties are best suited:
- Roller blinds. They are compact and easy to maintain; they are easily rolled up if necessary..
- Roman curtains. Elegant, easy to care for, combine minimalism and functionality. When raising the bottom edge, they easily gather in beautiful undulating folds. The only drawback is that the shape of such curtains does not allow to open windows completely.
- Pleated curtains are a curtain made of special pleated fabric, which is fixed on both sides in a single design. They can separately cover the upper or lower half of the window, which helps regulate the lighting of the kitchen. Easy to clean: a simple vacuum cleaner is suitable for their cleaning..
- Transparent curtain hanging on hinges, hooks, eyelets. If desired, it can also be supplemented with sun shades on the window frame..
- Lambrequin as a full-fledged window decor, either in combination with blinds or blackout curtains.
A tangible drawback of a small room is the quickly annoying interior. An easy way to prevent this problem is to regularly add kitchen Design diversity. Get several curtain options and periodically change models depending on your mood or season.
What to choose for a kitchen-living room
Recently, studio apartments have become very popular, where the kitchen and living room are combined into one room. In one part, they prepare food, and in the other, they rest – this difference should be emphasized with the help of textile window decoration. For example, in the living room curtains can be made ceremonial, and in the kitchen – simple and practical. Professional decorators advise you to choose companion fabrics from collections sewn in the same color and style. Add fabric from the first window to the curtain trim for the second – and you get a great composition.
What are the curtains?
Curtains with pelmet
Lambrequin is a beautiful ruffles, special fabric finishes that serve as a decoration of the cornice. This almost the most beautiful of all decorative elements for curtains solemnly decorates the window, making it more expressive, and gives the whole interior a rich and luxurious look.
When choosing curtains with a lambrequin, always consider the size and shape of the window, and also make sure that they are successfully combined with the style of the room and other items of the kitchen decor. It is better to give preference to fabrics that are simple in everyday life, will not accumulate a lot of dust, dirt and absorb all the kitchen odors. There are also special fireproof lambrequins that are impregnated with substances that prevent inflammation of the fabric.
Short curtains in the kitchen, in addition to its main decorative function, have a huge number of advantages!
- This model allows you to use additional space near the window. Short curtains, even when curtained, do not interfere with free access to the windowsill.
- Ideal for window decoration in the kitchen with balcony.
- Visually make the kitchen more spacious and airy, which is especially good for rooms with a small area.
- They serve as a bright color accent in the interior. If your “color experiment” fails, the curtains can be easily and quickly replaced with new ones..
- Bright curtains of small length are more comfortable perceived by the eye than the same long.
- Easy to maintain: short curtains are easy to remove, wash, dry, iron and hang again.
- A wide range of design solutions for short curtains allows you to choose the right option for a kitchen of any style.
Curtains on the rings
Such curtains, as a rule, are sewn from translucent light tissues. Their folds fall beautifully and sway from the wind, filling the kitchen space with freshness and purity. The rings are quite simply arranged, so all the attention goes to the fabric, which should be beautiful and original. Therefore, in the manufacture of such curtains, preference is given to expensive exclusive textiles.
Kitchen curtains on the rings look great in interiors of all styles. Wooden rings will blend nicely with country-style and provence kitchens, and metal ones will suit modern and minimalist kitchens.
Curtains with bay window
For such curtains, it is better to select lightweight fabrics so that the bay window does not resemble a theater curtain. In large kitchens, such a curtain design will be relevant. If you combine several different colors and textures competently, this will give the room extra depth. When decorating bay windows, choose short curtains up to the windowsill, or standard roller blinds, Roman, French curtains or blinds. Do not drape the entire window area with draperies, otherwise there will be no light in the room.
If your kitchen has several windows in a bay window, then it is worth ordering a separate curtain for each window. But if the bay window has a semicircular shape, then one large curtain will be enough.
Curtains on grommets
An interesting interior accent for the kitchen, which looks modern and stylish, and at the same time is easy to implement. The grommets themselves are rings of different diameters that hold the curtain on the ledge, forming beautiful folds from it. When choosing these original curtains, it is important to know a few points:
- The cloth. The heavier the fabric you choose, the larger the folds on the curtains will be. If you want large, beautiful waves, feel free to buy heavy, dense materials. But if you want transparency and lightness in the interior, tulle and nylon are more suitable for you..
- Practicality. Say no to loose fabrics like velor, velvet, double-sided tapestries.
- Length. In a small kitchen, long curtains are possible only with lightweight fabrics. Traditionally, for small kitchens, the length to the windowsill is chosen: it is both beautiful and practical. If the dimensions of your room allow you to experiment – feel free to choose curtains of any length, which you like.
- Combination. The classic combination is light tulle, and massive curtains on top. If, according to family tradition, you prefer this combination, complement the curtains on the grommets with Roman or rolled, sewn from a transparent fabric. So you save the necessary level of illumination in your kitchen.
Beautiful curtains with your own hands – easy!
For lovers of needlework, it’s not difficult to design a window in the kitchen on their own without resorting to the help of designers and decorators. In the presence of a sewing machine and a great desire, to sew a beautiful curtain for the model you need is not difficult.
First of all, you need to make some calculations:
- Measure the distance from the cornice down to the desired curtain length. Add 6 centimeters to the bottom turn and 3 centimeters to the top hem. In total, you get the length of the fabric necessary for the curtain.
- Measure the length of the cornice, multiply by one and a half and add 4 centimeters to the hem from the sides. This will be the width of the required fabric for a standard curtain. If you want to make the drapery more expressive, multiply the length of the cornice by 2.
The next step is to purchase a fabric cut. For the manufacture of curtains, tulle, organza and other synthetic materials are suitable, but it is still preferable to choose natural materials such as linen and cotton. Some retailers also offer interior textiles: these fabrics are made from natural fibers and impregnated with special dirt and dust repellents. They are resistant to fading, do not wrinkle and are easily erased. When choosing a color, remember that it should be in harmony in color and style with the design of the kitchen.
The simplest pattern for curtains is one or two rectangles. If you have a blended or cotton fabric, it is better to moisten and iron it before opening it. Measure along the edge the required length equal to the height of the curtain plus allowances for the seams. Pull one or two threads along the width of the cut, which will indicate the cut line. Pull also the threads in the place of the intended turn. This is the perfect layout for future curtains..
First, work on the machine with the top edge of the curtain: bend the upper allowance, notice it, and then sew the tape for the curtain. The stitch length is best taken from 4 to 6 mm. Tuck and process side sections, while hiding inward the edges from the curtain braid.
Attention! When turning the edges of the braid, be sure to leave the ends of the cords accessible! When the curtain is ready, pulling up these cords, you can easily pick it up to the width you need.
The next step is to bend and process the bottom of the curtain. Securely fix all the threads and iron the finished product. Secure the new beautiful curtain on the ledge with the help of special hooks.