DIY Polycarbonate Pergolas
Pergolas are rightfully considered one of the most popular types of garden buildings. After all, these elements of landscape design combine two qualities: beauty and functionality. To decorate the site, you can purchase a finished design or make an original design element yourself. The best option for building a long-lasting, strong and also visually weightless architectural structure, which will become a favorite place for all family members to spend time, is to build a polycarbonate gazebo with your own hands.
- The undeniable advantages of the material
- Polycarbonate Arbor Steps
The undeniable advantages of the material
The basis for the manufacture of arbors can be a variety of materials: wood, metal, brick … But nevertheless, polycarbonate is most popular for arranging cozy openwork houses in the garden.
Cellular polycarbonate has a number of properties, thanks to which it successfully stands out from other building materials:
- Extraordinary lightness. Polycarbonate is 6 times lighter than acrylic plastic and 16 times lighter than glass. For the arrangement of lightweight translucent canopies, it is not necessary to erect expensive heavy supports with high bearing capacity.
- High impact resistance. Polycarbonate panels are 8 times stronger than acrylic sheets and almost 200 times stronger than glass. The special structure of the material prevents the formation of holes and chips during impacts.
- Superior performance. Polycarbonate is ideal for arranging the roof not only of garden arbors, but also of any light-transmitting structures, since it can have transparency up to 85%, providing excellent light transmission. It is able to easily withstand wind and snow loads. Polycarbonate has excellent noise and heat insulation characteristics. The temperature fluctuations from -40 to +120 degrees do not affect the quality of the roofing material..
- Easy handling and installation. Polycarbonate panels can be bent, giving the desired angle of inclination, they are quite simple to cut and drill.
Polycarbonate Arbor Steps
- Arrangement of the base for the design
Since the gazebo is an open building, conducive to pleasant communication and a relaxing holiday, a place for its arrangement is chosen not far from home, in the corner of a shady garden or on an open area in the garden.
Depending on the size and constructive solution, arbors are installed directly on the ground, or they are equipped on an erected base.
For the arrangement of capital structures intended for gathering friendly and noisy companies at the set table, it is necessary to lay the foundation.
Having decided on the location of the building structure, you should mark the territory, level the site, and then outline the places for laying the support pillars of the frame. At the marked places, using a scoop, dig holes with a depth of 50-70 cm. The diameter of the holes should be 2 times larger than the size of the supports themselves.
Along with the installation of poles, it is possible to fill the site itself.
- Arbor frame assembly
As frame elements of lightweight arbors it is better to use metal profiles or wooden bars. Wanting to create a durable structure that can withstand temperature extremes and adverse climatic conditions, it is better to use metal poles as supports.
Regardless of the material of manufacture, the technology for assembling the frame is quite simple, it is based on the principle of collecting designer parts. The elements of the metal frame are fastened by means of a welded joint, combined by fixing with screws and nuts, and wooden – by self-tapping screws and nails.
- Polycarbonate Roof Mounting
One of the advantages of polycarbonate is its versatility. It can act not only as a roofing material in the arrangement of the roof, but also serve as a wall coating. From polycarbonate panels, you can even cut various curly elements with a knife. Pergolas with translucent windows decorated with curly holes look unusually spectacular.
In advance, it is necessary to outline the places of attachment of the panels to the frame and drill holes at the designated places.
Polycarbonate panels are attached to the supporting posts by means of self-tapping screws, or they use special thermal washers for this. The main thing is to equip the roof at an angle to ensure water flow. For insulation of panel joints and corner joints, type-setting fasteners, cuffs, silicone-based sealants are used.
- Arrangement of the interior and decoration of the gazebo
To ensure comfort, the gazebo is equipped with comfortable seats with backs and tables. It all depends on the wishes of the owners: some prefer to use portable pieces of furniture that can be taken out to the open area at any time, others opt for fixed stationary elements.
To give the gazebo a special appeal, its exterior walls can be decorated with climbing plants..
Maintenance of the structure consists only in timely cleaning of the surface with a soap solution and wiping with a damp cloth.