How to color slate
Many roofs of buildings and structures are covered with slate. Currently, this roofing material has many competitors, but slate has its own niche in the construction market. New materials intended for roofing look much more attractive, primarily due to the bright colors. However, this advantage can be easily leveled by painting the slate roof. At the same time, it is possible to extend the life of the roofing material. But not every paint is suitable for this procedure. So what is the best way to color the slate? What paint products are intended for these purposes, and how to apply it on the surface of slate?
- Reasons to Paint Slate
- Paint and primer for slate: Shikril
- Application of Shikril paint
Reasons to Paint Slate
Manufacturers produce asbestos-cement slate in the form of:
- profiled sheets;
- roofing panels;
- flat plates.
The coloring of slate sheets having a wavy shape is carried out with acrylic paints designed specifically for this roofing material. At the same time, the decorative qualities of the roof are improved, and its service life is also significantly increased. Weather-resistant acrylic paint forms a strong protective layer that improves the operational characteristics of the material, namely:
- protects sheets from destruction;
- increases their frost resistance;
- reduces the degree of water absorption;
- reduces the amount of emissions of asbestos in the environment;
- extends the life of slate sheets by 1.5-2 times;
- prevents the growth of mosses and lichens.
If for some reason the paint layer is broken in a separate section of the roof, then restoration work is carried out immediately, without waiting for the moment of the next general repainting of the roof. After all, slate, being a porous material, quickly becomes contaminated by atmospheric precipitation and takes on a very unsightly appearance.
Paint and primer for slate: Shikril
Among the special paints and varnishes produced to protect slate, there is also Shikril acrylic paint, which is based on organic solvents. This paint is used to finish not only asbestos-cement slate, but also concrete plinths, cement-sand tiles and other external surfaces requiring alkali-resistant staining..
With the help of Shikril paint, damaged areas of previously painted surfaces that need urgent repair are updated. The basic line of colors includes:
- gray RAL 7040;
- burgundy RAL 3011;
- brown RAL 3009;
- green RAL 6032.
Customization of a different shade of paint is possible..
Shikril paint can be used for coloring both old and new roofs. The paint coating has:
- water-repellent properties, otherwise called hydrophobic;
- high rates of opacity and light fastness;
- special elasticity when exposed to low temperatures.
Application of Shikril paint
1. The surface of the slate roof is cleaned of dirt, dust, residues of previously applied paint.
2. Apply a preparatory layer of the same name primer Shikril-Grunt, which is also intended for work on a slate. For application, use a brush, roller or spray gun. The roof is primed in one or two layers, while the subsequent layer is applied after the previous one has completely dried. Usually, an hour and a half is enough for this. Work is carried out at a plus temperature of 15 ° C and above. The surface of the roof must be dry before treatment.
Important! Using a primer reduces the cost of painting slate by saving paint.
3. Thoroughly mix the roofing paint, if necessary, dilute to working viscosity with solvents, which can be used as butyl acetate or white spirit.
4. Shikril paint is applied in two layers with the same tools used for priming the surface.
Important! When carrying out work, it is necessary to use personal protective equipment.
Other slate paints
1. “KILPI” is a Finnish acrylic roof covering, which is produced by the well-known company Tikkurila. Applied for coloring tiles, slate, roofing felt, tarred fibrous slabs and other materials. Appreciated for its special elasticity at very low temperatures. One liter of coloring solution is enough to paint no more than two square meters of the surface.
2. “DACHBESCHICHTUNG” – German roof covering, which is produced by the company “DUFA”. This semi-gloss paint is suitable for full painting and partial repair of painted surfaces made of clay, concrete or slate roof tiles. The paint coating freely passes water vapor, while protecting the roofing material from the effects of precipitation. It has a high degree of adhesion. During the training of the base, the paint layer can remain for many years. One liter of coloring mixture is enough for 7 square meters of roof.
3. POLIFARB – AKROFARB is produced by the Polish manufacturer of paint coatings “Debiza”. The paint is made on the basis of acrylic dispersion. It is used to paint not only the roof, but also the facade, trimmed with clay cement slabs or slate. The coating dries in three hours. A liter of paint is enough to paint 5-7 square meters of the roof surface.
4. “ACRYLACMA-SLATE” – Ukrainian water-dispersed acrylic paint intended for slate works. It is produced by LACMA in two color options: red-brown and brown. After staining, an even, uniform matte film is obtained, drying in just one hour. One liter is enough to paint 6 square meters of slate surface.
5. “UNISAL” – Slovak water dispersion paint for slate roofs, which is manufactured in Russia by the company “Quil”, located in the city of Belgorod. During production, the technology of the HELIOS company operating in Slovenia is adhered to.
It is appreciated for a high degree of hiding power, weather and light resistance. They are used for household and industrial painting of slate, as well as other asbestos-cement products. It can be applied manually or by machine. In the color scheme of paint, there are such shades as:
- oxide red;
- the black;
The time required to dry the coating is no more than one hour.
One liter of paint is enough for five square meters.
6. “POLIFAN” is produced in the city of Kolomna by the company “Polifan-L”. Universal paint, which is used not only for painting slate, but also for painting reinforced concrete, plastered surfaces, brick, chipboard, chipboard, curbs and other materials intended for external decoration. Paint consumption is one liter per three square meters of surface.
In addition to the listed varnish and paint products for slate, there are other brands on the market, which allows the buyer to choose the best option, taking into account the price and quality. Now there should not be questions about how to paint flat slate or wavy, because they are basically the same asbestos-cement base. Now you know that you can make stylish the old slate roof. In this case, the whole appearance of the house will change for the better..