Over the past decade, metal has gained a well-deserved popularity, because it has a long service life and looks very beautiful. Today, this material is represented by a wide range, which means that it is difficult for a person who does not know the subtleties of construction to make a choice. For this reason, in the publication we will consider the types of metal tiles, highlighting this issue as informative as possible..
- Base material is an important aspect.
- Profile geometry
- Varieties of coatings – what to choose?
Base material is an important aspect.
As for the base, it can be aluminum or steel. Speaking about the first option, it must be said that this is a lighter material, covered with a protective shell and not amenable to corrosion. The second option, that is, steel sheet, is considered the most popular: it is covered with a protective shell or aluzinc, which significantly increases resistance to the external environment.
It is worth paying attention: the Belgian manufacturer Metrotile makes stamped metal tiles from copper sheets. This is a persistent material, eventually acquiring a green patina. It gives the roof a noble appearance and serves as protection.
According to the shape of the profile and the depth of the step, the metal tile is classified into several types. Let’s talk about each species in more detail..
“Monterrey” “is a modern roofing material that appeared in Russia in the nineties of the last century. It is made of galvanized steel and has a relief that imitates natural tiles. Choosing this type of metal tile, a person receives excellent material from both a technical and economic point of view. A few words need to be said about its advantages:
- resistance to capricious temperature changes – neither cold, nor snow, nor hail is afraid of the material. But in the summer he protects the house from the sun and heat;
- speed of installation – all works on laying sheets take a little time;
- durability – the service life of metal is more than 50 years;
- As a rule, the metal tile under consideration has the following dimensions: width – 1180 mm, height – 39 mm, wave pitch – 350 mm;
- environmental friendliness – safe, non-toxic components are used in the production of high-quality metal tiles;
- relatively low prices – an important advantage;
- a variety of colors – customers can choose the most suitable options, starting with a dark burgundy for homes of strict English classics and ending with bright shades for a memorable Art Nouveau. In a word, this metal tile has different colors, and this is a significant plus.
By the way, ceramic tiles weigh 38-40 kg, metal: weight 1 m2 – 4-5 kg. The difference is significant, so the lightness of the material is always appreciated.
Monterrey metal tile is produced by many companies, for example, Ruukki concern, which offers customers a good choice:
- “Monterrey Standard” is a wonderful solution for projects with high requirements in terms of durability, roof strength;
- “Monterrey Plus” – the material has an exclusive Purex coating and is made of Finnish steel. It is ideally suited for difficult climatic conditions and fully meets the requirements for building materials;
- “Monterrey Premium” – Pural matt coating compares favorably with a structured matte surface and enhanced resistance to the external environment. The metal tile has an elegant look and is selected when you need a perfect roof.
The metal cascade “Cascade” is a well-known profile resembling a chocolate bar in geometric shapes. But due to the largest installation width, it is considered a cost-effective material. Buildings with such a roof have clear rectilinear contours and a classic proportional look. It is impossible not to mention the advantages of the material:
- joint geometry accuracy;
- excellent parameters – the metal tile in question has the following dimensions: profile height – 25 mm, metal thickness – 1 mm, sheet width – 1000-1500 mm;
- the possibility of implementing bold architectural solutions;
- an excellent choice of shades – fans of traditions can give preference to a red-brown shade or a copper-green shade, and connoisseurs of modern trends can choose metallic shades;
- double capillary groove provides protection against moisture penetration.
In general, this metal tile has excellent characteristics, so it is widely used.
“Andalusia” is material that has not yet gained popularity, but possesses significant advantages. It is produced on high-tech western equipment, thanks to which the metal tile is made with hidden fastening. The advantages of this material include the following indicators:
- the main feature of the metal tile is horizontal installation, which provides freedom and convenience of action when installing the roof;
- tight fit of sheets to each other;
- stealth of the docking site;
- noble appearance, imitating the Romanesque style of the roof;
- tile weight – 5.15 kg / m2;
- two-step modules have a curved cornice edge.
In addition to the above types of profiles, it is necessary to name a few more types of metal:
- “Modern” – the main difference between this type of metal and “Monterrey” is the presence of angular faces, and not semicircular shapes;
- Joker ”- profile with classical geometry: regular wave with rounded contours of the crest and sole;
- “Banga” is a new species that appeared not so long ago. It is characterized by several features: bizarre profile geometry, high wave height, unique appearance. But due to the significant convexity of the forms, a three-dimensional visual effect is obtained. Such metal roofing also has good technical characteristics and is optimally suited for large buildings with a high roof;
- “Shanghai” – a fresh solution that came to Russia from China.
Varieties of coatings – what to choose?
The metal tile not only decorates the building, but also performs a very important function, protecting the roof from the negative effects of atmospheric phenomena. At this point, modern manufacturers pay increased attention, offering several types of coatings:
- polyester – a coating with a glossy surface, which has a high degree of flexibility. This coating behaves well at low temperatures and is used in various climatic zones. Sheets coated with polyester are resistant to the effects of organic solvents and are not affected by mold fungi, as well as other irritants. Polyester is famous for a good selection of colors, so roofs made of such metal tiles organically fit into any landscape, emphasizing the beauty of the facade;
It is worth paying attention: the low mechanical strength is a negative quality of polyester – falling branches, ice moving down, hail lead to a decrease in the service life, since corrosion spots form in the places of damage over time.
- matt polyester – in chemical composition it is similar to the previous version, but there are also differences: the velvety surface does not give glare and has an attractive texture. Matte polyester incorporates Teflon, which increases the protective properties of the coating;
- Pural – a coating based on polyurethane, which is absolutely not afraid of daily temperature drops. In addition, the pural protects the metal tile from UV radiation, and acrylic particles roughen the coating. The roof of a material with such a coating for a long time retains its original appearance, transfers surface damage and lasts a very long time. As for the price, the cost of metal is higher, but the quality is excellent;
- plastisol is the thickest coating with an embossed surface. Due to this thickness, the metal is reliably protected from mechanical damage. Plastisol has excellent characteristics, among which it should be noted anticorrosion resistance, durability, self-healing ability, strength. But there are certain disadvantages: the high intensity of UV radiation affects the color quality. Plastisol-coated roofs require periodic maintenance – this fact is explained by the fact that the porous surface absorbs dirt and dust..
From the foregoing, we can conclude that the metal tile is represented by a rich assortment, which means there are plenty to choose.