Proper installation of entrance metal doors with your own hands
Having planned the overhaul of an apartment or a private house, each of us involuntarily asks the question where to start. As a rule, any repair begins with the replacement of the front door. In recent years, the installation of metal doors has become the most popular – with your own hands it is quite simple to do. In addition, there are a number of reasons that make us prefer these doors..
- The advantages of metal doors
- Robust construction choice
- Installation rules, recommendations
- You will need tools and supplies
The advantages of metal doors
- The strength of the metal door allows you to be sure of the safety of your property.
- A variety of finishes allows you to choose the door in accordance with your wishes.
- A wide range of prices is designed for consumers with any income level..
- Durability – metal doors are not afraid of pests, fungus and mold, and a special anti-corrosion treatment will reliably protect it from rust.
- The use of modern insulating materials guarantees excellent heat and sound insulation.
- Multi-level locking mechanisms and additional security features will not allow crackers to open the lock or remove the door from the hinges.
Robust construction choice
Before installing a metal front door, consult your friends and acquaintances. Maybe one of them has replaced the door in recent months and will be able to advise you on a reliable manufacturer or seller. Before buying, ask to show you all the regulatory documents that guarantee product quality. Be sure to inspect the proposed door and pay attention to the following points:
- The thickness of the metal in the door trim should be at least 2 mm
- In the closed door on the hinge side there should be small gaps covered by the sealant. If there are no such gaps, after a few months of operation you will inevitably have problems closing the door.
- The lock must have locking pins on all four sides of the door. This will not allow you to cut the loop and squeeze it.
Important! Sometimes cheap door models are equipped with plastic imitations instead of steel pins. Be sure to check.
- Ask what anti-corrosion coating manufacturer uses.
Important! The most exposed part of the metal door is the threshold. Therefore, it is desirable that it be made of stainless steel.
Installation rules, recommendations
Even if you choose a quality front door, this is not a guarantee of security.
Equally important is how to install a metal door.
Interesting! According to law enforcement agencies, there were more cases when robbers, having failed to open a steel door equipped with high-quality locks, simply pulled it out of the wall along with the outer box. This becomes possible due to improper installation of the door..
The way out can be do-it-yourself installation of entrance doors. In case you have little experience with a drill and a hammer, this process will not be too complicated for you.
Important! Some sellers do not support the warranty on doors installed by the buyer on their own. In this case, it is better to pay for installation services or contact another outlet.
The only and main condition for achieving an excellent result is increased attention to detail – it is better to show patience and scrupulousness once than to redo the work several times.
Important! Before choosing a door, you must correctly measure the doorway. Remember that the gap between the box and the wall around the entire perimeter should be at least 25mm.
You will need tools and supplies
- Small crowbar or crowbar
- Hammer drill
- Big hammer
- Wooden wedges
- Polyurethane foam
Dismantling the old door
Before installing the entrance metal door, it is necessary to free the doorway from the old-age door. So let’s get started.
- First of all, it is necessary to remove the old door from the hinges. If the hinges are collapsible, it is enough to open the door wide and use the crowbar to lift it up until it is removed. If the loops are one-piece, you need to unscrew the screws with which they were attached to the loot.
- Now dismantle door frame. If it is wooden, you need to pull out or unscrew all the nails and anchors that secured the wall to the wall. Then, using a hacksaw, we cut the side posts in half and squeeze them from the wall with a crowbar. Now just take out the pieces of the door frame. If you removed all the fasteners, the loot will be removed quite easily..
- A metal door frame can give you a little more trouble. For its dismantling, it is necessary to cut the mounting rods with a grinder and only then remove the entire structure. This process, as a rule, leads to extensive destruction of the plaster around the door, but it is impossible to do without it.
- When the old door is removed, be sure to clean the opening of the remnants of old insulating materials and excess cement mortar.
Do-it-yourself ways to install entrance doors
Important! The process of installing a metal door is quite difficult to cope alone. This is due to the considerable weight of the structure and its dimensions. So, before starting work, look for an assistant.
Installation of entrance metal doors can be carried out in two ways. One of them is used when the door is flush with the wall, and the second is suitable when there are slopes around the door from the side of the apartment.
Method number 1 – mounting on metal plates
The most common way to install a steel door is to fasten it to the wall using metal plates. As a rule, such plates are located on the side profiles of the door frame, three fasteners on each side.
The use of this technology is only possible if the door on the side of the apartment is flush with the wall.
- In the pre-cleaned doorway, insert the door and align it with the level and plumb line. We fix the correct position of the door with wooden wedges and check again with a level.
- Using a manual puncher or drill, we make holes in the wall at the attachment points.
- In the prepared holes, hammer steel rods 10-15 cm long, the ends of which are riveted. Instead of rods, you can use anchor fasteners.
- At this stage, you must definitely check how freely the door closes and how tightly it fits on the box. In addition, improper position of the door can lead to jamming of the lock mechanism. Therefore, before using the mounting foam, it is worth checking whether the latch works easily and whether the locks close.
- Now we moisten the opening and fill the voids with foam.
Important! Stained with mounting foam, the visible parts of the door are quite difficult to clean. Therefore, it is advisable to protect them with masking tape before work..
After installing the door, the mounting foam should dry, during this period it is advisable not to open the door.
Method number 2 – mounting on bolts with anchors
As a rule, this method is used only if the door needs to be “drowned” in the wall thickness, which makes it impossible to use mounting plates.
In order to understand how to install an iron door in this case, you need to consider the door frame. In most cases, the manufacturer provides for special mounting holes in the box, and complete with the door are sold anchor bolts and plastic plugs of the same color with it. If you didn’t find anything like this in your door, you will need a welding machine to install it..
- After installing the door on the struts as described above, drill 3 holes on each side in the side racks of the door frame.
- Drive through the holes into the wall pieces of a steel bar with a length of at least 12 cm.
- Weld the ends of the rod to the door frame. Welding must be done through a hole in the side of the box. This is necessary in order to avoid the influx that may interfere with the closing of the door..
In the case when anchor fasteners are provided for by the door structure, it is enough to drill a hole in the wall through the fixing groove and secure the door with anchors. It remains only to blow out the gap between the wall and the door with mounting foam and wait for it to dry.
Now you know how to install the front door. The main thing in this process is not to neglect useful tips and not to rush. It is better to spend the whole day installing a door than to call a locksmith for help to cut out a jammed lock.