How to make a plasterboard ceiling with backlight
What gives the interior a unique atmosphere of warmth and comfort? Professional design approach, exquisite decor, well-chosen color scheme and, of course, room lighting. Do you want to radically change the familiar atmosphere or add some zest to the previously created look of the house? Drywall Ceiling with backlight – this is the best way to implement your plan.
- Choosing a backlight for the ceiling
- Used types of backlight
- LED backlight advantages
- LED Strip Selection Criteria
- Useful tips from specialists
- How to calculate backlight power
Choosing a backlight for the ceiling
False ceilings – a universal type of decor that can transform the home beyond recognition. And if you provide for illumination, then a bright and original atmosphere is provided.
Used types of backlight
Depending on the purpose and methods of organization, the following types of backlighting are distinguished:
- General lighting. As a rule, it does not imply special frills: enough ceiling tires with lamps and pendant lights;
- Target backlighting is used when zoning is required. Then in the working area the lighting will be bright, and in the recreation area – dim.
- Highlight “for comfort” provides an endless field for imagination. Someone is impressed by the effect of the starry sky, and someone like the “northern lights”.
LED backlight advantages
LEDs are the most common backlight material plasterboard ceiling.
This fact is explained by the numerous advantages of this element, bearing beauty and light..
- LEDs are practical, unique and inexpensive (10 meters of tape costs about $ 20);
- consume little energy (compared to other light sources they use energy 60% less);
- easy to install. LED strips are available with a self-adhesive base, which is easily attached to drywall;
- control units allow you to coordinate the operation of LEDs remotely.
LED Strip Selection Criteria
The modern market offers LED strip in different versions. In order not to get confused in the wealth of choice, you should know how such products differ from each other.
- The kind of LED. The most popular tapes are SMD 5050 and SMD 3528, where SMD is the type of mounting, and the numerical value is the type of LED. 5050 diodes are more powerful and therefore more expensive.
- The density of the diodes. The most popular are LED strips with a density of 30, 60, 120 diodes per 1 meter. The higher the density, the more intense the brightness..
- Degree of security. Distinguish between moisture and moisture proof tapes. Protection class indicated by IP.
- Flowers. There are single color tapes (blue, white, red, yellow and green), and there is an RGB tape that can change colors.
Useful tips from specialists
The main guideline when choosing a backlight is the price of the issue. If the budget is limited, you can pay attention to the monochrome tape SMD 3528 (without moisture protection) with 19 diodes per meter. The question may arise, why not buy an RGB tape at a similar price? The fact is that for such a tape you need a special controller – without it you will not see bright colors.
In the case when money is not a problem, you can look at the SMD 3528 with a density of 120 / meter or SMD 5050 with a frequency of 30 diodes per meter. It is not necessary to purchase a tape with a high density, because It is used for functional lighting, and our goal is contour lighting. Whether or not to buy waterproof tape is up to you again. If you are afraid that the neighbors will flood, then choose a backlight with silicone insulation.
It is important! Choose a ribbon based on the primary color of the glow. It is imperative which color you will use more often. Green shades are best perceived by the eye, while blue, even on a very powerful tape, seems a little dull.
It is also not recommended to take too cheap a tape – diode degradation and color balance shift are possible.
How to calculate backlight power
After the choice in favor of a particular type of tape is made, you should determine its quantity. We measure the perimeter of the required area, calculate the total backlight power. To do this, multiply the footage of the tape by the recommended power of 1 meter (do not forget to check this parameter with the seller).
Based on the information received, we select a power controller and a power supply. Typical power looks like this: SMD 3028 – 60 diodes / meter (4.8 W); SMD 3028 – 120 diodes / meter (7.2 W); SMD 5050 – 30 diodes / meter (7.8 W); SMD 5050 – 60 diodes / meter (14 W).
DIY plasterboard ceiling
A line of the starting base is planned around the perimeter of the room, to which other components of the structure will be fixed. The distance from the ceiling is 20 cm. The profile guides are fixed with dowels (across the width of the room). Further, suspensions are mounted along the marked lines. The main (bearing) guides are inserted into the starting drywall frame and attached to the suspensions with self-tapping screws (2 on each side of the profile). The subsequent device is made after marking along the length of the room. Longitudinal profiles need to be fixed with “crabs”, which are bought with self-tapping screws.
You need to know! The step between the guides should be at least half a meter. It is highly advisable to duplicate the fastening of the longitudinal directions.
After the complete frame is ready, you need to fix the drywall sheets with screws.
Hats should neither protrude nor sink, but should be flush. Between the sheets, you need to provide for the gaps that will be needed with the possible expansion of drywall.
It is important! The gaps are putty with the entire surface of the sheet, and then sanded. Experts advise to cover the sheets with a primer, on top of which any paint can be applied..
LED Strip Mounting
The process of mounting the tape is not complicated. The main thing is to properly cut and connect it. LED strip sold in baboons of 5 meters. It is necessary to cut it into specially marked places into smaller parts. Then the parts are soldered. Make sure that overheating does not occur. A single-color tape requires the soldering of 2 contacts “+” and “-”, and an RGB tape requires the same name V + “R”, “G”, “B”.
Connect more than 3 baboons is not worth it. Current-conducting tracks may not be able to withstand this power. If the perimeter of the area for illumination is more than 15 meters, you should connect the sections parallel to each other.
How to connect a tape
Connection must be carried out in the following order:
- Connecting the cord to the L and N terminals of the power supply (if connected to the power cord).
- Connecting the controller (when using RGB tape) observing polarity.
- Connecting the tape to the controller or to the power supply (if the backlight is monochrome).
It is important! Carefully observe the polarity and double-check the coincidence of the voltage of the power supply tape and the controller.
The work is completed. Now you can with a sense of accomplishment enjoy the splendor of the radiant overflows that turn the room into a corner where magic reigns.
The bunk ceiling design with spotlights looks original. A unique solution supports the stylistic tonality of the interior picture.