A beautiful country cottage, built according to a modern design and ennobled by expensive finishes, can easily lose its gloss due to a dull, untidy territory. Indeed, a tidy lawn and evenly trimmed bushes are often the best decor than a presentable facade. To put the area in order, a grass trimmer is needed, or more simply, a scythe, which allows you to trim the grass in places inaccessible to lawn mowers.
- An important detail of the trimmer is the cutting mechanism
- Types of trimmers for gardening
- Electric motor: pros and cons
- Advantages and disadvantages of a gasoline engine
- Cordless Electric Braids
- Universal trimmers: types of nozzles
An important detail of the trimmer is the cutting mechanism
The purpose of the trimmer is understandable without explanation: it can be used to mow grass; some models are also designed for cutting bushes. The main detail of the scythe used to be a metal blade, which had to be sharpened two to three times a day. Modern garden equipment has several options for a cutting mechanism:
- durable metal knife;
- cord string (fishing line);
- interchangeable option (knife and fishing line).
The knife is of two types: plastic, cheaper, and iron – expensive, but able to cope with hard grass and shoots of shrubs. A knife haircut will come in handy when the time comes for autumn harvesting and you need to cut thickets of woody stems up to 5 mm thick. To understand how to choose a trimmer for a neat, even mowing, you need to pay attention to the number of teeth: the more they are, the better the treated area will look. Knives with 6-8 teeth guarantee a good result.
For the purity of the analysis, consider the disadvantages of metal knives. They quickly become dull if work is carried out on rocky grounds. This implies the second minus – regular sharpening. We should not forget about the weight of metal parts: they are much heavier than plastic. Light weight is achieved by using modified alloys that are not so heavy and more reliable. Tools with this type of knife have the designation “heavy duty” and a higher cost. If you need to carefully trim the lawn or mow the thickets between the trees without damaging their bark, you need another trimmer – how to choose and not miscalculate? Feel free to buy a scythe with fishing line. It captures the overgrown plot half a meter wide, gently removing the top layer of grass. Braids with a cord string are indispensable for heterogeneous terrain and for cutting grass in the garden between trees.
Types of trimmers for gardening
The market is clogged with a variety of models of electric and gasoline braids, and the electric tool can be powered either from the network or from a mobile battery.
Electric motor: pros and cons
Not every cottage is equipped with electric communications, but if available, many choose electric braids, as they have the following advantages.
- Noise is much quieter than gas mowers – any vacation can be ruined by a loud morning noise.
- Consumables are not required for the operation of the electric braid – fuel, therefore, there will be no additional expenses.
- There are no gas exhausts, which is also nice.
- The weight of the tool is small, even a woman can handle it. With light braids it is better to maneuver in the garden, among fruit trees.
- With the upper engine type, even wet grass from dew or rain can be mowed..
The disadvantages include fast overheating, so the process itself must be interrupted to cool the equipment. You also need to get used to the wire, which will constantly reach for the mower. Sometimes, if the work area is far from home, this becomes a problem, and then it is better to use a cordless tool. Do not forget to take into account the money spent on electricity, although in rural areas, as you know, tariffs are low.
Advantages and disadvantages of a gasoline engine
Many do not wonder which trimmer is better, but boldly purchase gasoline, and that’s why. A powerful four-cylinder engine allows you to mow hard grass and shoots without much effort, and this is important for gardeners who, for example, grow berry bushes. In addition, thanks to autonomous power, the brushcutters are mobile, not tied to a house or a power source. Most models have universal fasteners for various mechanisms, not only cutting.
However, popular petrol scythes have not entirely positive nuances. For example, the owner of such a trimmer should always have a spare canister with gasoline, which from time to time has a habit of running out. Mowing wet grass with a gasoline tool is not recommended – this is harmful to equipment and dangerous to humans. Comfort lovers will not like the loud noise that a gas engine produces. Crackling is such that ear plugs are required for operation. Emissions with an unpleasant chemical smell also upset. We summarize: if power comes first, then the choice falls on the brushcutters, despite all the shortcomings listed.
Cordless Electric Braids
For far-flung sites and garden plantings, cordless braids are an ideal tool. Lack of fuel and a cord stretching behind the cord, minimal noise level, freedom of movement make them preferred for those who like to work in comfort. Many people choose this small trimmer: which is better for mowing soft, silky grass around trees or along a path?
The cutting mechanism is a plastic knife, which is easy to sheathe, and if broken, replace with a new one. It is mounted on a cutting head, the rotation angle of which reaches 90 degrees. The battery is located at the top of the instrument and is a battery. They are of two types: lithium-ion (more expensive) and nickel-cadmium (cheaper, but having a fast discharge). It usually takes 3-4 hours to charge the batteries..
For a light mowing of the lawn or the boundary between the beds, light electric mowers are usually enough, the weight of which does not exceed 2 kg. The average processing area is 140 m ?. To regularly mow grass, you should purchase more powerful models that weigh just over 3 kg and provide work on an area of up to 250 m ?. Cordless trimmers are equipped with a convenient D-shaped handle that adjusts the cutting angle. Some heavier models have a set of interchangeable wheels.
Universal trimmers: types of nozzles
It is possible to save on the purchase of a whole set of garden tools by purchasing a single universal type trimmer, that is, having a whole set of interchangeable nozzles. They are mounted using a specially designed connector, are quickly removed and do not cause difficulties in use. Each nozzle has a specific purpose, while the number of profile heads is different – on average, from 2 to 10. Consider the types of additional nozzles most needed for gardening:
- Many mowers are equipped with a removable mechanism for snow removal. It is enough to install a gripper in the form of a spiral instead of a cutting part, as the trimmer turns into a compact snow blower. The spiral rotates, throwing snow to the side. To clean large areas of power and capture the trimmer is not enough, but to remove the area in front of the house or clear the path to the gate using such a mechanism is quite realistic. This is, in fact, the best trimmer in the winter-summer category..
- For processing small sections, beds and flower beds, cultivator tips in the form of small mills are used, which are used for grinding and loosening the soil. The diameter of the nozzles is on average from 12 to 24 cm. These are not elementary knives, but a complex mechanism, so its weight is quite high – up to 4-5 kg.
- A number of mowers are equipped with delimbers – practical nozzles for forming crowns of trees and shrubs, removing diseased and dry branches. Devices are distinguished by a large length (up to 3 m), which is necessary to reach the top of the tree.
Nozzles can be purchased both with a scythe, or separately. The main parameter when buying is the diameter of the connector, which must match. The standard diameters are 20 mm and 24 mm.
Thus, choosing a tool for a garden plot, it is necessary to take into account many factors: weight, power, type of engine, the ability to change nozzles, as well as the availability of power supply, the location of the territory and the area of the cultivated plots. And don’t forget: trimmed lawns and formed crowns ennoble the summer cottage no less than a luxurious fountain or intricate paths.