Choosing a chain saw for wood
Saw is indispensable in a country house. Since the manual version of this tool requires considerable effort from its owner, the appearance of automatic chain saws was received with enthusiasm. The source of energy for work can be gasoline or electricity, and the second option is more popular among non-professionals. Therefore, the question of how to choose a chain saw is of great importance.
- What is a chain saw for?.
- Electric or gasoline model.
- Features of using chain saws.
- What to look for when buying a chain saw.
- How to care for a chain saw.
What is a chain saw for?
When performing various woodwork, an electric saw is practically indispensable. This can be sawing small logs, boards, battens, carpentry. In fact, a chain saw in its functions occupies an intermediate position between garden and construction tools. It is unlikely to be able to build a house with its help, but it is indispensable in sanitary and molding pruning, furniture manufacturing, firewood preparation.
Electric or gasoline model
Each of the options for a chain saw has its advantages and disadvantages. Obviously, a gasoline saw has a lot of autonomy because it does not need a cable. And what else are the nuances of using these tools?
- A chain saw is much easier to handle than a gasoline one. The engine requires certain skills and techniques, and in the case of electric power, everything is much simpler.
- An electric saw, unlike a gasoline one, does not emit exhaust gases. This not only increases its safety, but also makes it suitable for indoor use. But a gas saw in a confined space is better not to use.
- The use of a gasoline saw involves the purchase of fuel, which immediately significantly increases the cost of operation. In addition, the initial price of gasoline saws is much higher than that of electric.
- The electric chain saw is lighter than gasoline and produces much less noise..
Features of using chain saws
Electric chainsaws can be used successfully for years, but some rules must be followed. The weak point of chain saws is instability to voltage fluctuations. The most common cause of a breakdown of this tool is overload..
- In an electric motor, the anchor is rigidly connected to the gearbox, so in case of overload the motor breaks easily.
- The main cause of overloads is the insufficient sharpness of the saw. Therefore, the condition of the teeth should be closely monitored and sharpened regularly.
- The load on the engine also increases with a voltage drop in the network, which, unfortunately, is not uncommon in country houses. In this case, the engine temperature begins to rise. Automatic overheating protection solves this problem, but the shutdown that carries out this protection gives a lot of inconvenience if voltage fluctuations occur frequently.
- Professional saws differ from amateur ones at a significantly higher price. However, the potential service life is twice as much.
- The device of an electric saw assumes its timely lubrication. Lack of lubricant leads to engine breakdown, therefore it is necessary to carefully monitor the oil level and add it in time. A sufficient amount of oil is evidenced by a strip of microscopic drops, which should appear when the chain is accelerated on the working surface. If there is no such trace – urgently need to be added lubricant.
- Lubricant quality also matters. It is advisable to use special oils for chain saws. Usually they are made on a plant basis, adding polymers to them. Such compositions have better qualities and at the same time lower consumption..
- When working with any electrical appliance, safety rules require the avoidance of open water. Therefore, these saws are not used in the rain or near open water..
What to look for when buying a chain saw
The choice of any tool is determined, first of all, by the expected conditions of its operation. The price of electric chainsaws varies in the range from 2 to 25 thousand rubles, but the real range of quality is not so wide. The cheapest options from an unknown manufacturer, besides bought on hand or in the market, often turn out to be, literally, disposable. On the other hand, paying exorbitant prices for a professional option, the potential of which will never be needed, also does not make much sense. The main differences between household and professional saws are reduced to durability and the maximum duration of continuous operation. Usually, a household chain saw is sufficient if it is planned to be used no more than 3-4 hours a day. At the same time, the duration of continuous operation for most tools of this class is several minutes. In order to understand how to choose an electric saw, you need to consider the following points.
- Engine position
This part may be transverse or longitudinal. The second option is much better, because it allows you to operate instruments in different planes, which gives greater freedom of activity, such a saw is universal. Models with a similar arrangement are usually more expensive, but the price difference is small, and the resulting advantage is worth it..
- Engine power
It should be noted that the higher this indicator, the larger the dimensions, weight and price. Therefore, if the tool is needed in order to sometimes saw off a piece of the board in the country, chasing this indicator is probably not worth it. However, the power must necessarily be not only sufficient, but also have a margin in order to avoid engine overloads. The higher such a margin, the greater the fluctuations in the network the tool is able to withstand without damage. This is useful to keep in mind when choosing a saw for a summer cottage..
- The maximum current falls at the time of switching on, so it is better to choose models with a soft start. They have a priori a greater margin of safety and a lifetime.
- A chain saw is dangerous; it is easy to get injured when working with it. Therefore, it is necessary to protect yourself and your loved ones from possible troubles. A random lock system is required for this tool.
- Chain saw developers are trying to solve the problem of overheating, and one of these solutions was a special thermal relay that cuts off power when the engine reaches a critical temperature.
- Another nuance that represents an increased danger for working with a chain saw is the moment the saw touches the work surface. The resistance of the material produces the so-called “back strike”, which can lead to unpredictable consequences. Therefore, on good models there is such a device as a chain brake. Having slipped from the return blow, the hand presses on a small shield located below, and the movement of the chain stops.
- When choosing an electric saw, it is important to pay attention to the presence of a chain tension system. It should consist of a lamb – a large nut securing the tire. In order to pull the chain, the lamb is loosened, after which the tire can be moved.
- The best electric saws are equipped with an automatic lubrication system consisting of a pump that is switched on simultaneously with the engine. Using a pump, oil escapes from the tank through openings and is evenly distributed over the cutting surface..
How to care for a chain saw
Ideally, check the oil level and grind the chain every time after work. If the model does not have an automatic pump, then the saw bar must be lowered regularly in a bucket of oil. In addition, it is necessary to check the reliability of the fastening of parts and the condition of the wiring. A good criterion for tool quality control is ease of use. In a normal state, a chain saw practically does not require physical effort. Upon completion of the work, the chain is removed, the discharges are removed, the box is cleaned and stacked..
Often during the cold season, the tool is stored in an unheated room. In the case of an electric saw, this can lead to a short circuit, as condensation will accumulate inside. In order to avoid this trouble, it is necessary to withstand the saw after a couple of days in a warm, dry room after winter. Battery models cannot be overheated; if the storage temperature reaches 50 ° C, they may fail. Direct sunlight is strictly contraindicated for this instrument..
Thus, a chain saw is a convenient, relatively low-cost tool, requiring, however, strict adherence to safety regulations. With relatively simple care, it can last several years, practically without requiring additional costs. The choice of a specific model of a chain saw is determined by the purposes for which it is purchased and the intended mode of operation.