How to work with a chainsaw
Before we get down to business and specific recommendations, we note that all the instructions and tips that you will find in our article are general in nature. In the region in which you live, in addition to generalized standards, specific rules may apply that you must adhere to. Working with a chainsaw is a simple task, if you get used to it, but never lose your vigilance, this steel roaring beast can be capricious even in the hands of experienced craftsmen.
- Equipment for working with a chainsaw.
- How to use a chainsaw.
- Safe Felling Rules
- How to service a chainsaw
Also, the algorithm of your actions may vary depending on the model used, the manufacturer of the equipment. We will give you a general idea of what and how to do, how to work with a chainsaw, without fear of harming yourself or someone else. At first, it may seem that there is too much of this information, but practice plus the necessary minimum of sanity – and you will master all the wisdom of interacting with the instrument, feel confident.
Tip: if you are a beginner, try to start working with an experienced partner.
Equipment for working with a chainsaw
Before you saw with a chainsaw, or even take it in hand, you need to familiarize yourself with the instructions, and most importantly – take care of the safety of your life and health. The main point in this business is dexterity and overalls. Even if you just need to cut a couple of firewood for a fireplace, you should have protective equipment-uniforms on you.
- Hands and head – a protective helmet with a mask covering his face and headphones, thick gauntlets made of hard material (suddenly what?).
- The body – special pants with a lining to prevent cuts (such tabs in case of accident will stop the movement of the chain), a “breathing” jacket of bright color also with linings.
- Feet – shoes must be durable. It is better if this one will be tight boots with steel plates and also with inserts to protect against cuts in the ankle area.
How to use a chainsaw
With the equipment sorted out. About how to properly saw with a chainsaw, you will not know anywhere better than in the instructions. Take the time to familiarize yourself with the principles of operation of the main mechanisms of your tool. Our tips will help you work safely with a chainsaw, however, carefully read the user manual, controls and precautions provided in the instructions before starting work. We will not enumerate the components – their list may vary slightly depending on the manufacturer, model and purpose.
Basic rules: you need to hold the saw firmly with both hands, tightly gripping the handle with all your fingers (the thumb of the left hand should be under the front handle).
- Equilibrium. Keep the saw closer to the case – so your hands will get tired less, you do not need to be afraid of the tool. In addition, it will be easier to maintain balance and control the process..
- Foot position. Arrange them widely, bending at the knees for stability, but keep your back straight.
- Movement. If you need to change the angle, turn off the engine by activating the chain brake, make sure that it does not rotate before moving. When traveling long distances, use the tire cover. Safe Felling Rules
Before cutting a tree, think not only about your safety, but also about whether surrounding objects and structures will suffer from the saw. Take a look: is there a highway, railway road, power lines, buildings nearby? If yes, think twice before starting work, maybe in this case it’s worth passing it on to professionals if you doubt your skills.
If the place is crowded, use warning signs – you don’t want to harm someone by negligence, right?
Before you start felling, make sure you have enough fuel and lubrication.
- Determine the direction of the roll. Inspect the saw cut object, the terrain: the tree grows evenly or not, is there a slope of the soil where the wind blows – it will be easier to calculate the direction in which the tree will fall. Based on these data, you can facilitate further work. Numerous online chainsaw videos posted on the Internet will help you at this point..
- We leave right: clear the earth around the tree from bushes, undergrowth and undergrowth, foreign objects. Nothing should impede your safe departure during felling. You need to clear the area at an angle of 45 degrees behind and on the sides from the direction of the fall of the tree.
- Safe distance – two lengths of the sawn tree in any direction. There should not be anyone and nothing at this distance, including you during felling.
- We work with legs spread wide, remember? We lean against the trunk with our shoulder, we make the guide file as low as possible – it will be easier to tumble the tree, plus there will not be too high a stump.
There are many obstacles that can make your dreams of perfect chainsaw work “no.” Sometimes something can go wrong, but in the case of felling trees, this “not right” can cost you or someone else’s life.
Therefore, remember your enemies in person:
- Rot. A rotten tree can behave unpredictably and fall not quite there or not at all where you assume. It is better to leave a professional to fight such an opponent. But once you’ve taken it yourself, remember: the tree looks unnatural, the trunk looks damaged, the bark is soft to the touch or discolored in places, most likely these are signs of decay. In this case, I need to increase.
- Stuck driftwood and trees. If a tree is stuck catching another trunk while felling, you need professional help. Do not try to fix the situation yourself, call a specialist, but you can’t leave the tree unattended.
- Stuck Saw. If the tire is stuck in the trunk, do not rip it off, especially when it is running. Stop the engine, catch your breath and tilt the trunk until the chainsaw slides.
- Rebound. In the hands of an unprofessional worker, a rebound can occur in almost any situation. Typically, the saw is fed up and back when a moving chain in the sprocket area of the driven tire is in contact with another surface. In this situation, the chain brake should work, if this did not happen, do it manually – move the handle forward, you’re done, you’re safe. The order of launching the instrument on the video
A procedure such as starting a chainsaw is not difficult if you are consistent and careful. The algorithm is as follows:
- Set the saw on a flat, stable surface so that the chain does not come into contact with anything.
- Activate the chain brake by turning the handle away from you, otherwise, when starting, the chain will immediately begin to rotate.
- If your instrument model has a decompression valve, activate it as well..
- Pull out the choke lever.
- Place the toe of the right foot in the back handle, holding the front with your left hand. Quickly pull out the starter cord several times until the engine sneezes. Sneezed? – So the thing has gone.
- Return the choke lever to its initial position and start the saw while continuing to pull out the starter cord.
After starting the saw and heating the engine, do not remove the fuse (brake) until you are ready to start sawing.
How to service a chainsaw
After work, make sure that the chainsaw is not damaged, all components are in good condition. If necessary, lubricate the chain, replenish the fuel supply so that the tool can be used at any time. Pay special attention to the chain brake, catcher and control levers, inspect the tool for damage, the degree of wear of parts, and the integrity of the mechanisms. Make sure that all the nuts, bolts and screws fit well, are tightly tightened – not only the success of your work, but also your safety depends on it. These questions are covered in more detail in the manual, which should be your desktop manual while you study..
Take care of your chainsaw regularly, ideally it should be inspected, cleaned after each use. For cleaning, you will need to dig into the insides of the chainsaw:
- open the cover and clean the brake band;
- inspect and clean the tire;
- wash the air filter from sawdust and dust;
- wipe cooling fins, ventilation holes;
- check flywheel blades.
Here are the main points that you should keep in mind when getting started with a chainsaw. If you observe safety precautions and safety during operation, the results of the work will only please you, and there will be no excesses. Be vigilant and prudent – and everything will be fine.