Harvesting on their site, gardeners believe that they have grown an absolutely clean (ecologically) product. But where did all the chemical fertilizers evaporate? But with the right approach, you can completely abandon them and fertilize the land with garbage. A garden shredder for grass and branches will help to process it, and a compost pit to prepare for fertilizing the soil.
- What tasks does the garden assistant solve?
- Garden Technology Overview
- Engine differences
- Differences in grinding systems
- The effect of power on the chopper
- Such important “little things”
What tasks does the garden assistant solve?
This equipment first appeared a little over 10 years ago and made the work of “vacationers” outside the city much easier. After all, even in a small area you have to cope with tons of garbage. In addition, a garden shredder not only reduces its volume, but also helps to use it with great benefit..
Leaves, tops, grass, fallen apples are all potential fertilizers. But first you need to properly process it and “give an exposure.” After passing through a garden shredder, composting time is significantly reduced..
But this is not the only solution. You can use the resulting material for mulching, falling asleep pits and ravines, in landscape design. No less pleasant moment is saving money that would have to be spent on garbage collection and fertilizer purchase.
Garden Technology Overview
Garden shredders resemble a huge meat grinder, which has a funnel for feeding raw materials and knives for processing. The priorities and dimensions of the site (respectively, and the amount of garbage) are different, so manufacturers offer a wide range of equipment. All she copes with its functions, the main thing is to correctly determine the “terms of reference”.
In order not to overpay for a powerful unit that one owner does not need at all, and to take into account the possibility of performing serious tasks for another, it is worth understanding the equipment models. They differ in power, type of engine, ability to process all garbage or only certain categories, the size of the funnel, the degree of automation of the process.
By the type of engine, the garden shredder is electric and gasoline. Before choosing equipment, it is worth exploring all the “charms” of each and finding the perfect option for your territory.
Compact and almost silent units with power up to 2.6 kW. They can easily cope with grass, foliage, branches with a diameter of up to 2.5 cm, but mobility is limited by the length of the cord. Also, his work depends on voltage drops in the network, and in summer cottages such a problem is not uncommon.
If the cord is not enough, you can connect an extension cord. So for a small plot where the garden consists of a pair of young trees and several shrubs, a garden electric shredder is ideal.
Sufficiently powerful and mobile device. It can work anywhere in the garden. And it will help in the forest if such a need arises. Gasoline garden shredder recycles almost all material with a diameter of up to 6 cm due to the complex design of the knives.
Among the shortcomings can be identified very noisy functioning. And if you use it without warning, it’s easy to ruin your relationship with your neighbors. After all, the cottage is a quiet and paradise.
Important! For long-term operation without loss of quality, it is necessary to fill the fuel in a certain proportion (oil and gasoline). Two-stroke units are especially sensitive.
And harmful emissions into the atmosphere are another “minus” of gasoline equipment.
Differences in grinding systems
Different mechanisms are used to process garbage depending on the type. Some are better at handling “light” material; for others it’s easier to grind large bark.
- Knife system
It happens with simple knives and a more complex design. It looks like a disk. When turned on, it rotates, chopping the feed debris. Great for processing grass, leaves and thin branches. He will also cope with larger material, but he will have to sharpen knives much more often..
It is worth paying attention: it would be nice to have a spare set of knives in the kit; if there is a sharpening on the other side of the knife, then you can simply turn it over.
- Milling system
She is much more reliable. A solid gear gear is involved in the work, which can easily cope with material up to 6 cm in diameter. Only it must be dry or at least dried.
Most models have a special mechanism for independently promoting the branches. So at this time you can do other things.
Important! If priority is given to grass processing, it is best to choose a disk shredder. In milling, it often gets stuck.
There is a universal option – combined models, but their cost is much higher.
The effect of power on the chopper
Depending on the size of the plot and the age of the garden, you need to choose equipment of suitable capacity.
- Equipment for an amateur gardener with a small plot
These are electrical equipment weighing up to 20 kg and power up to 1.6 kW. It processes leaves, grass, leaves, branches up to 3 cm. Due to the small wheels, it is not very convenient to move around the site. But this is not particularly necessary, because the unit is “tied” to a power outlet.
- “Golden mean”
These are electric and gasoline units with power up to 2.5 kW. Their processing capabilities are higher (material with a diameter of up to 4.5 cm). Equipped with comfortable cushioning wheels, so they can easily move around the site. They can be supplemented by a retraction system and a funnel for collecting mulch. Suitable for a small but not young garden.
- Professional approach
This is a large-sized equipment that works with high power (up to 8 kW). It is equipped with a large mill for chopping branches, a funnel and a retraction mechanism, work does not require additional pushing of the material. The engine can be a gasoline or three-phase electric.
A big advantage of this equipment is the pressing function. The result is a great mulch. Suitable for large area gardens, farms.
Such important “little things”
Before choosing a garden shredder, you need to pay attention to some nuances.
- Even in the simplest model, knives must be made of hardened steel..
- It is easier to work if there is an inclined conical funnel.
- Garbage pusher increases productivity and, most importantly, safety.
- The ability to switch the operating mode for grinding different materials. This will allow not to make unnecessary energy or fuel consumption without loss of quality..
- The presence of pre-cutting knives increases the life of the equipment.
- Self-protection feature enhances security. This is especially true of an electric device, which stopped working due to a drop in voltage in the network, and after adjustment it abruptly turned on itself. With this feature, children and pets will be safe..
- The reverse function will allow you to stop the mechanism and direct the movement in the opposite direction. It will be needed if the grass is wound on a knife or a branch gets stuck.
- The ability to adjust the height makes the work more convenient and increases the safety of children.
- Very convenient model with several holes for receiving debris. You can feed grass and branches at the same time.
- The noise level must not exceed 84 dB, otherwise conflicts cannot be avoided.
- It is worth considering that with the chopper you need to buy safety glasses.
Clear-out of a garden site
Vacuum cleaners for cleaning the territory of the garden were also a remarkable innovation. They are also electric and gasoline. But the big advantage is that this equipment is also a grinder and reduces the amount of garbage by 10 times.
- Hand models cope with material with a diameter of up to 2.5 cm. They can be in the form of satchels, weigh up to 11 kg. Garbage is collected in a bag of 30 l.
- Non-self-propelled models look like lawn mowers and weigh up to 40 kg. They are moved in front of them like a cart. They are more powerful than manual ones, they can process branches with a diameter of up to 4 cm, which they collect in a bag up to 35 l.
- A self-propelled garden grinder weighs about 80 kg and collects garbage in a 160-liter bag. To simplify rear wheel drive control.
Whatever model is chosen, it will make the site well-groomed, and stay in the country comfortable. The money spent will pay off very quickly, then the account will go about saving them. And this is a very pleasant experience..