How to glue wallpaper for painting
The main difference between wallpaper for painting is the ability to quickly change boring colors. At the same time, a minimum of effort and money is expended, because to modernize the interior, it is enough to re-paint the previously pasted wallpaper in a completely new color. Also, this option of wall decoration is convenient for families with small children who love to paint in inappropriate places. Hide traces of children’s wall painting is not difficult. All who are interested in this finishing material are concerned about the question of how to glue the wallpaper for painting so that they withstand repeated staining in the future. The process is not complicated.
- Materials and tools
- Types of wallpaper for painting
- How to glue wallpaper for painting: stages of work
Materials and tools
- wallpaper for painting;
- glue for this type of wallpaper;
- special rubber roller;
- glue brush;
- putty knife;
- stationery knife.
Types of wallpaper for painting
There are three main types of wallpaper suitable for multiple staining..
- Wallpaper, having a paper base, consists of two layers impregnated with a water-repellent composition. It is this impregnation that allows this finishing material to maintain water resistance even after several applications of water dispersion paint. Painting paper wallpapers can hide not very carefully aligned surfaces.
- Wallpaper made on a non-woven basis has excellent masking properties that allow them to hide small cracks and small irregularities on the walls. Non-woven wallpaper for painting is ideal for use in new buildings.
- Cullets for painting, having increased wear resistance and strength, are used most often in offices, hotels, as well as in other public places. Although they are also used in apartments.
Wallpaper for painting is sold in rolls, the width of which is one meter.
Meter width reduces the number of joints. There can be 10 m or 25 m in a roll. It is more economical to purchase 25-meter rolls, as the number of unnecessary cuts is reduced. Also, the cost of repair is reduced.
How to glue wallpaper for painting: stages of work
1. At the initial stage, the preparation of the wall surface is carried out. This removes the old wallpaper. Hard-to-remove pieces of cloth are moistened with water, after which they are easily removed with a metal spatula. If necessary, the walls are puttied and primed. Wallpaper glue diluted in accordance with the instructions may also act as a primer..
2. Next, the height of the walls is measured. Wallpaper is cut into panels according to the measurement, while experts recommend adding a couple of centimeters on both sides for stock. When decal for wallpaper on a non-woven basis, some masters skip this step. Wallpaper is unwound to the required length, glued to the wall and trimmed with a clerical knife on the baseboard.
3. The glue purchased in a hardware store for the selected type of wallpaper for painting is bred in accordance with the instructions. At the same time, the required amount of water is measured, into which, with vigorous stirring, the contents of the package are added. After a few minutes, the glue is ready for use..
4. All wallpaper for gluing is glued butt, as they have a dense structure. If they are dealing with paper-based wallpapers, then glue is first applied to the canvas, then to the wall. The edge of the canvas is tucked for ease of movement. Stick to the wall, aligning the edge along a plumb line. Using a special rubber roller, the wallpaper is leveled, removing air bubbles. It is much easier to work with non-woven wallpaper and with glass wallpaper, since in this case the adhesive is applied only to the walls..
5. Excess wallpaper is cut off with a clerical knife, and excess glue is removed with a damp sponge.
Before proceeding with staining, the glued wallpaper is allowed to dry for a day. The desired shade of color is obtained using a tint, which is added to the water dispersion paint in the right amount.