How to glue non-woven wallpaper
Non-woven wallpaper, despite its higher cost, is crowding out its paper counterparts from the market. More and more buyers when choosing wallpapers prefer them. This happens due to the unique qualities of this decorative finishing material, the gluing process of which is quite simple. If you already have experience with paper wallpaper, then you can feel the difference. Everyone knows how to choose non-woven wallpaper, but how to glue and what to look for at the same time, you can read below.
- Properties of non-woven wallpaper
- Necessary tools and accessories
- How to glue non-woven wallpaper
- Fixing material in corners
- How to glue wallpaper around outlets
Properties of non-woven wallpaper
Manufacturers use non-woven fabric as the basis of this finishing material. So called non-woven fabric, widely used in sewing. Clothing parts glued with non-woven fabric hold their shape and are not subject to stretching. After all, non-woven fabric is strong, durable, able to maintain its size. Therefore, non-woven wallpaper have the same qualities, namely they:
- wear resistant;
- fire resistant;
- resistant to stretching;
- do not shrink;
- do not exude substances harmful to health;
- resistant to fading.
Having a meter wide, non-woven wallpaper allows you to halve the number of joints that, after properly glued panels become invisible.
The thickness of the wallpaper on a non-woven basis allows you to hide small irregularities in the wall.
Necessary tools and accessories
- brush for applying wallpaper glue;
- a bucket for glue;
- special roller for smoothing wallpaper;
- narrow roller for processing joints at the joints;
- building level or plumb;
- a rag or sponge to remove excess glue;
- scissors and knife;
How to glue non-woven wallpaper
1. Work is underway to prepare the room for repairs. All small pieces of furniture are taken out to other rooms. Oversized products, pushing away from the walls, carefully cover with a protective film.
2. The walls are cleaned of old paper wallpaper or other coatings. Do not forget to moisten the old wallpaper that does not separate from the surface of the wall with water. This saves time and nerve cells. Dampened wallpapers are easily left behind and cleaned with a spatula. If the walls have painted areas, then they are washed with water and sanded. A rough surface will provide better adhesion to the adhesive solution..
3. Do not forget! The next step is to finish the ceiling.
4. Immediately before the process of wallpapering, we spread glue, which is intended for non-woven wallpaper. For this, a clean bucket is taken, into which then cold water is poured in the required volume, which is indicated in the instructions. Then a whirlpool is created and dry glue is poured out of the box along the edge of the bucket in a thin stream. The glue solution is left alone for 15 minutes, after which it is thoroughly mixed again. The glue is ready, you can get to work.
5. Non-woven wallpaper glues butt, so you can start from where it is more convenient and more rational, in terms of material consumption. For even bonding of the first canvas, it is required to draw a straight vertical line with a plumb line, which will serve as a guide for placing the side line of the wallpaper.
6. The web is measured. To do this, the roll is unwound, and non-woven wallpaper is applied to the wall. Top and bottom marks are made with a simple pencil, according to which the wallpaper is folded. Then an incision is made along the bend with scissors or a sharp knife. Some masters prefer to leave a small supply of wallpaper, both above and below. This is motivated by the fact that it is better to let it remain than not enough. After gluing, the excess is cut off.
7. Wallpaper glue with a brush or roller is applied only to the wall. This is the main difference between the process of pasting a room with non-woven wallpaper. A dry canvas is laid on the wall, leveled along the marked vertical and rolled with a rubber roller. Some craftsmen prefer to use wide brushes or special plastic spatulas instead of a roller. In this case, the remnants of the glue squeezed out from under the canvas are removed with a damp cloth.
8. The next sheet is cut taking into account the picture, if any. Butt glued.
9. Leave the glued wallpaper for full drying for a day. At the same time, the degree of absorption of walls and the temperature in the room affect the drying rate.
Fixing material in corners
All masters like to paste smooth walls with wallpaper, which can not be said about the corners. After all, experts know that they will have to work hard, as perfectly even angles are rarely found in rooms. Beginners in general are at a loss, not knowing how to paste non-woven wallpaper in the inner corners. Professionals-finishers do it this way: 1. Glue the canvas so that its edge slightly protrudes onto an adjacent wall around the corner.
2. The next strip is glued with an overlap, that is, it enters the canvas glued in the corner, a few centimeters. Use a plumb line to position the edge evenly..
3. Use a ruler along which a cut is made with a breadboard knife of two layers of glued wallpaper at once. The cut edge is removed, while the wallpaper is pressed with a ruler. This will prevent them from breaking..
4. Raise the edge of the wallpaper to remove the second cut edge from under it. After that, glue is additionally applied and the joint is smoothed. Excess wallpaper glue is removed with a damp cloth..
How to glue wallpaper around outlets
The covers from sockets, as well as from the switches, must be removed, first remembering to turn off the electricity in the apartment. Stick wallpaper and make an incision in the form of a cross at the installation site of outlets and switches. The edges are cut off or bent. The removed covers are put in place. Some try to make holes in the wallpaper and glue the sockets without removing the cover. However, it’s difficult to achieve perfect accuracy..
Now all the secrets about how to properly paste non-woven wallpaper are revealed. You can safely get down to business, coming up with the most incredible ways to decorate the interior with this unique material. You can combine different colors, stick contrasting borders or make bright panel inserts. Your house is waiting for changes, and now you can make them with your own hands. Mistresses will appreciate the ease of care for non-woven wallpaper. Their surface can be cleaned of dust with a soft broom, vacuum cleaner and even a damp cloth. When heavily soiled, the wallpaper is painted and literally become new.