Autumn work in the garden
Winter is just around the corner, and there is still enough work on the plot. But experienced gardeners and gardeners know that your harvest next year depends on how you perform autumn work in the garden.
- Autumn work on a summer cottage
- Troubles in the garden
- Harvesting cuttings for vaccination
- Autumn works in the flower garden
Tips for conducting autumn work in the country
Autumn work on a summer cottage
- Do not remove berries and fruits from trees after rain or dew. It is best to immediately cool the fruits torn from trees to a temperature of 4-6 ° C, otherwise they quickly over-ripen and deteriorate. The walls of the room where you will store the harvest, treat with a solution of formaldehyde or soda, this will prevent the appearance of mold.
- Old branches and root shoots should be removed. In autumn, it’s time to do shaping or anti-aging pruning.
- Raspberry stalks that no longer bear fruit are cut off at ground level. In blackcurrant, you need to remove weak and old shoots (also at ground level). White and red currants, in contrast, produce berries on old branches. Gooseberries remove low-hanging, old shoots.
- Heat-loving fruit trees (for example, peach and apricot) cover for the winter.
- Thoroughly treat the inner surface of the hollow with a solution of 10% iron or 5% copper sulfate solution. The hollow hole is filled with broken brick or pebbles, then this place is cemented and coated with oil paint..
- Using wire brushes or scrapers, remove the diseased bark from the trees (lay a film under the tree), burn the resulting garbage outside the garden. If there are wounds on the tree, lubricate them with garden var. Choose a day with dry and calm weather, wear goggles and a bandage and treat large branches and mushrooms with a solution of iron sulfate (5%). This will save you from problems with pests and diseases..
- Around the fruit trees, make circles of glue so that the larvae of the winter moth do not crawl onto the trees. Glue recipe: pine resin 10 parts, petroleum jelly 1.5 parts, rosin 1.2 parts. Use the hunting belts on the trunks of trees to catch the moth (in September it lays eggs on the bark). At the end of November, these simple devices clean, bleach trunks, wrap trunks with coniferous branches and paper..
- For young trees, protect against mice. To do this, tie the tree trunks with burlap, then wrap with roofing material and aluminum wire. Top the roofing material with lime. A great material for tying is fiberglass or old nylon tights (the bark does not beneath them, and mice never gnaw such a strapping).
- To prevent trees from freezing in winter, water-recharge watering trees.
Make grooves 15-10 cm deep around the tree trunk (every 80 cm). It is necessary to water at the rate of 60 l / m2 for an adult apple tree, 40 l / m2 – for cherries, plums and young apple trees. At the last watering, it is good to apply mineral fertilizers, after that the grooves are covered with soil.
Troubles in the garden
- Plants with signs of disease and traces of pests need to be deeply buried outside the garden or burned.
- It is up to you to dig the garden in the fall or not, but all plant debris from the site needs to be removed.
- On vacant beds you can sow cilantro, radish, dill. From the first night frosts these crops will save a covering film.
- In the greenhouse, remove the top layer of the earth (5 cm), mix it with compost and mineral fertilizers, pour it into the compost pit.
- Peat, old fallen leaves, sawdust will protect the root system of plants from severe frosts. So strawberries are covered with a continuous layer (about 10 cm), and currant bushes are mulched in a radius of 80 cm.
- As a rule, autumn work in the garden is carried out, taking care of the future harvest. So, old strawberry leaves are cut off, nitroammophoska is introduced into the soil (2.5 tbsp. Per 10 l of water). In order to have more flower buds next year, in the beginning of September the soil is fertilized with urea (30 g per 10 l of water). Plants are treated for fungal diseases with phytosporin, for powdery mildew with colloidal sulfur, for rot and spotting with copper chloride.
- Collect and take away the old fallen fruits off the site.
- Plan your garden for crop rotation.
- If the soil on your site is acidic, liming is necessary. In ashes it is best to fertilize the earth in spring.
Harvesting cuttings for vaccination
These are obligatory and necessary autumn works in the garden. Vaccines are harvested in November. In healthy trees (apple trees, pears, stone fruits), cuttings should be cut from the western or southern upper part of the crown (their length is about 40 cm). Then the cuttings are collected in bundles and labeled. Bunches should be placed in wet sand or in sawdust vertically (immerse them in sand at 2/3 of the length). Small cuttings can be stored in the refrigerator, after wrapping them with a damp cloth. In the snowy winter, it is convenient to bury the cuttings in the snow on the north side of the house (do not forget to wrap the connected cuttings with roofing material and a rope to protect against mice).
Autumn works in the flower garden
- In September and October, perennials can be divided and planted. At this time, plant hyacinths, daffodils, small bulbous plants that need time to take root. Plant tulips just before the frost.
- Autumn varieties of garlic and onions are also planted in September-October. In order to save space, they can be planted in flower beds where roses grow (this will benefit both cultures).
- Cover fragile plants just before the frost.
- Do not fertilize or prune roses in the fall. Cut only dry branches. Spread roses on soil mixed with gravel or bark.
- After the first frost, dig up the dahlia tubers. They must be stored in a dry, warm and dark place..
For many gardeners and gardeners, autumn work in the country is a pleasant chore, thanks to the land for the harvest. Work on a summer cottage with love and pleasure, and the garden and vegetable garden will reward you handsomely for your efforts.