We build a fireplace from drywall with our own hands
A fireplace is an interior decoration that brings comfort and peace. What could be nicer than a pleasure on a rainy autumn evening to sit by the light, enjoying the soft warmth? But building a real fireplace from natural stone is not so simple. The reasons can be different: from the impossibility of installing a massive base to a lack of funds. There are no hopeless situations. The way out of this situation will be a constructed fireplace made of drywall with your own hands, it can be done in the shortest possible time without acquiring expensive materials and contacting specialists.
- Decorative “hearth” made of drywall
- Benefits of Drywall Fireplaces
- Drywall Fireplaces: Varieties
- False fireplace in the interior of a modern apartment
Decorative “hearth” made of drywall
Decorative fireplace It is a structure of metal profiles sheathed with plasterboard sheets. It can be either a plain rectangular box or a rather complicated design with dampers and a chimney, decorated with lamps and burning candles.
Some will say: “But this is not a real fireplace!” And they will be wrong. If desired, by creating an imitation of firewood and lining the frame with brick, you can get a fireplace that is almost indistinguishable from the real one. In addition, you can give the design not only any shape, but also the purpose.
- a corner or hinged fireplace will decorate the library or a small room. It’s convenient to read near such a heat source, and bookshelves can be installed on top or bottom for convenience.
- made according to an individual project, a drywall fireplace can successfully fulfill the function of original supports for utensils, while illuminating them.
- decorative fireplaces – a great option for dividing a large room into functional areas.
Benefits of Drywall Fireplaces
False drywall fireplaces (the second name of decorative fireplaces) have a number of advantages that allow them to stand out against the background of such devices:
- affordable price, because you only need a profile, drywall, insulation, finishing materials;
- the ability to take any, even the most unimaginable forms;
- the fireplace can serve as shelves, coasters, giving a dim pleasant lighting;
- decorative fireplaces are mobile, quickly dismantled and rearranged to another place;
- false fireplaces are safe because there is no open source of heating.
Such a fireplace can be made in any, even very cramped room. Excitement about the fact that the child may get burned or hot coals will fall on the furniture and the floor lose their relevance, leaving room exclusively for pleasant emotions from transforming the room.
Drywall Fireplaces: Varieties
False fireplaces are divided into 3 groups: conditional, authentic and symbolic.
1. Conditional are characterized by the obligatory presence of a protruding from the portal wall. In this case, an ordinary electric fireplace can be installed in the furnace. In this case, the false fireplace turns into a kind of portal for an electric fireplace.
2. Reliable fireplaces are practically indistinguishable from real ones and fully correspond to them in design and size. Burners of biofireplaces are mounted in the furnace, which is, in essence, a complete copy of the burning hearth.
3. Symbolic fireplaces can be made of different materials, but they, as a rule, do not correspond to these fireplaces either in design or in size. It can be rather called a pattern on the wall with decorative elements..
False fireplace in the interior of a modern apartment
A feature of decorative fireplaces is versatility. They can be used for their intended purpose by creating an imitation of fire in a fireplace. And you can effectively emphasize that this is a false fireplace, slightly modifying the functional orientation. It all depends on how the styling is done..
There are many ways to decorate a portal. The most popular option is to install candles in the furnace. It is enough to just complete the design in a chaotic manner with exposed accessories and candles, and in the blink of an eye the fireplace transforms into an exquisite decoration for a romantic evening. It is important that this saves both space saving and the effect of a living flame.
Realism can be enhanced by filling logs to the top of the firebox. The method is particularly harmonious in the semicircular furnaces. Firewood laid out on a metal grate looks fascinating. The yellow-red backlight perfectly copies the wood-burning fireplace. The difference will not be noticeable at all.
For everyday use, a more rational option is suitable. The firebox plays the role of a shelf for books or other small things, without which coziness is impossible. Similarly, you can turn a false fireplace into a place to showcase exhibits from your favorite collection, such as sinks or figurines.
Especially attractive is the fireplace in the New Year’s decoration. It can be decorated with Christmas balls, garlands, traditional socks for presentations. A festive mood and a fabulous atmosphere are provided..
Additional decor options are presented below..
How to make a drywall fireplace
Drywall is an environmentally friendly material that does not cause difficulties in work. With it, you can give the interior a special chic.
The first step is to delve into the measurements and calculations. We need to draw a portal of the future fireplace on the wall and carefully measure the layout.
You need to know!
It is not necessary to design straight and even structures. Drywall, with appropriate preparation, can be bent to any radius.
First make a bend pattern. Then you need to cut out the strip of the required size from the drywall, and then put the resulting workpiece with the inner side of the future bend up on a flat surface. This part will have to be prepared for bending. We make many holes 5 mm deep.
Punctures are conveniently done using a special needle roller. Holes are needed in order to break the cardboard layer to reach the core. After which the workpiece must be abundantly moistened with water.
It is important!
Please note that water should not fall on a whole layer of cardboard. Otherwise, the product will break when bent..
After softening the gypsum core, the workpiece is fixed on the template and left to dry. After the gypsum core dries, the drywall will take on the desired shape..
Bending a metal profile is also not difficult. To do this, make cuts on the sides with a step of 1 cm. This will allow you to achieve a perfectly smooth bend for any cut.
Mounting the frame is a must
Any drywall construction involves the organization of a solid frame. The portal for a false fireplace is no exception. You can make a frame from metal profiles or wooden blocks.
You need to know!
The use of lumber requires precautions, otherwise you can spoil not only the decorative finish, but also drywall.
Metal profiles are preferable, because the tree is susceptible to harmful insects and moisture, which is detrimental to the structure.
The frame is made so that drywall blanks focus on it. This is necessary to obtain a strong and rigid structure..
After making the frame, we proceed to its lining.
Fireplace lining: rules
The inner lining is made of heat-resistant materials and is equipped with reflective elements (foil coating). The outer skin is made of plasterboard blanks.
At the end of the sheathing, it is necessary to putty the fastening points with screws. After the putty hardens, treat with a deep penetration primer and sand the structure.
Decorative decoration – “face” of the fireplace
The decor of the fireplace is carried out using:
– tiles or ceramic tiles;
– gypsum decorative elements; natural stone.
It is important!
When choosing a material for decoration, make sure that it is in harmony with the general interior of the room.
Features of the construction of drywall fireplace
- the fireplace should be located on a protective pillow. Optimum – from concrete. The height of the pillow is 20 cm, and the width will depend on the size of the furnace – the width of the pillow should be 25 cm more;
- Do not forget about the isolation of the false fireplace. To this end, magnesite, asbestos, red brick can be used;
- even a decorative fireplace should have a chimney. The chimney pipe must be double and insulated;
- Provide a chimney shutter. It will not allow cold air to enter from the outside, and leave the room warm;
- attach a visor to the pipe to prevent foreign objects.
The work is done. Now you are the owner of a fashionable and beautiful accessory that will transform the interior and bring warmth and comfort to the familiar atmosphere.