- The specifics, pros and cons of kitchens from Ikea
- Choose the layout of the kitchen
IKEA International Group is one of the leading companies producing not only furniture, but a wide range of products for home and office. The company was founded in Sweden, but today its head office is in the Netherlands, in Delft. Ikea is a well-known brand on five continents, which is a benchmark among representatives of the furniture industry.
The specifics, pros and cons of kitchens from Ikea
Furniture for the kitchen from Ikea is represented by four lines:
- Youth style
- Modern style
- Scandinavian style
- Country style
The characteristic design of Ikea is inherent in every subject of all four lines, but they are united not only by this. Both interior and furniture specialists, and ordinary buyers, note the following distinctive features of IKEE furniture:
- Frameless technology for creating kitchen furniture facades from high-strength and high-quality medium-density fiberboard (better known as fine dispersion fraction or MDF). The facades are fixed with special valves and dowels, which allows you to create the most reliable design of the modules.
- MDF is covered with high-quality veneer, the color and texture of which depends on which collection the model is presented from..
- Blum tandemboxes – a wide range of drawer mounts that are made exclusively for Ikea. This makes the drawer extension easy, possible with just one movement, and the production quality guarantees a long service life..
- In the production of most IKEA kitchen modules, stylish and durable plastic legs are used. These legs are capable of supporting up to one hundred and twenty kilograms each, so the total weight that branded Dutch furniture can withstand is up to half a ton.
- Ikea furniture is predominantly in standard sizes. The width of cabinets and other kitchen modules is sixty centimeters.
Above, we have listed the key features of furniture manufactured by Ikea in general and kitchens in particular, and now we will talk more directly about its advantages:
- Ikea is famous for the quality of all materials used for furniture production. All of them are certified and meet the world standards of the furniture industry..
- The fittings that Ikea uses in their production are not just made of certified materials, but also designed to last more than a dozen years. Moreover, even if you assemble your own kitchen by selecting it first in the catalog, you will not encounter the problem of discrepancy between the available parts and the holes intended for them.
- The stylish and modern design of Ikea furniture is ideally combined with household appliances, which is especially important for kitchens. Even if you do not use Ikea household appliances (which the Dutch company also produces), its analogues from other manufacturers will fit perfectly into the interior of your kitchen.
- If you are limited in funds or prices do not suit you, you can very well pick up individual parts and even modules from other manufacturers. The standardness of ikeev furniture greatly simplifies this process.
- A special proprietary kitchen planner called “Do It Yourself” makes online the design of your dream kitchen possible. All you need is the Internet, a personal computer and … fantasy!
- Ikea’s kitchens are incredibly easy to install and assemble, even a novice can handle it, therefore, although the service of calling furniture assemblers in Ikea is provided, you can easily do it yourself, especially since the instructions are always attached.
The assembly of kitchen furniture can be turned into an interesting game and fun with children. Not only boys, but also girls will like to assemble and design. Simplicity and lightness will make this process not stressful..
However, like any medal has two sides, Ikea kitchen modules, unfortunately, also have disadvantages:
- Ikea kitchens are created in the style of minimalism, which not every buyer will like. Despite all the functionality and ease of cleaning this style, some particularly creative people want something more romantic, curly, unusual. As can be judged by the photo, these wishes are unlikely to satisfy.
- IKEA cuisines have a typical “recognition”. To some extent, this can be “tweaked” thanks to a huge selection of various accessories.
- The standard sizes of IKEA cabinets complicate the fitting of IKEE furniture to a specific room. This nuance is especially relevant in the interior of a small kitchen, where often there are many protruding pipes, etc..
- There are no special mounts for wall panels.
- Ikea worktops replace end plates.
- The edge that is glued to the ends of the tables and chairs for the kitchen from Ikea is twice as thin as the standard. Because of this, it looks more natural, but also significantly more fragile. It is especially worth protecting it from direct contact with water.
- The specificity of fixing Ikea furniture is that it is mounted “tightly”. On the one hand, this makes the assembly of kitchen furniture safer, you will not worry that it will budge and collapse at any time. However, on the other hand, having arranged kitchen furniture once, it will be very difficult to rearrange and move it.
- Installation of furniture from Ikea suggests that it is in direct contact with the wall without any gap. Therefore, all sockets, niches, ledges, pipes (which is very important for kitchens) must be hidden.
- Mass production of kitchen ikeevsky modules make kitchens with their use widespread and similar to each other, so it’s unlikely that you can boast a unique interior.
- Kitchens of economy class, according to the people who purchased them, serve only a few years.
- The environmental friendliness of kitchens is another controversial point. The specifics of processing the materials of a Dutch company give rise to doubt.
Choose the layout of the kitchen
The angular layout in the kitchen allows you to organize the most spacious workplace on a minimum area. It is very convenient in terms of cleanliness – the angular placement of the sink, stove and cooking table significantly reduces the amount of contaminated surfaces. This option will fit in well small kitchen.
Read more about the benefits. corner kitchens!
The linear layout of the kitchen is the most common method of arranging furniture. It allows several people to work simultaneously in the kitchen, while absolutely not interfering with each other. This is a great option for narrow, elongated kitchens..
A parallel layout of the kitchen space suggests that the working areas are opposite each other, in parallel (which is already clear from the name). This is the safest arrangement of furniture in the kitchen, because only in this case the likelihood that splashes when washing dishes will suddenly fall on the ring and extinguish it (which will lead to a gas leak) is excluded. Whether two people can work in such a kitchen at the same time depends on the width of the room. Usually, kitchen table with parallel placement of furniture in the interior is not provided.
This is a compromise option combining the advantages of angular and parallel placement of furniture in the kitchen. Most often it is used in fairly wide rooms, however, it is permissible to use such an arrangement in small kitchens.
The name of this layout of the kitchen comes from the word “island” and involves the formation of separate zones of furniture, islands independent of each other. How to allocate and place these islands – you decide. The main and only criterion that you should be guided by is convenience and comfort. To move quietly around the kitchen with an island layout, there should be a lot of space, so this option is better to give preference to studio apartments or kitchens combined with the living room.
Choose a color scheme
White kitchens from Ikea are the trend of 2020. They look incredibly stylish, and the individual ikeevsky style makes them cozy, sophisticated, perfect. Despite the marbling of light surfaces, the IKEA furniture materials are easy to clean..
The working areas of the white kitchen can be made darker.
The youth line of ikeevsky cuisines involves the use of bright and saturated colors. So that the kitchen does not look lurid, the interior uses one juicy shade, which is combined with more neutral.
Natural motifs (wooden furniture)
Natural wood kitchen furniture is an ideal solution for lovers of classics and country. Its unobtrusive shades remain relevant for many years..
Despite the fact that “natural” wooden furniture, at first glance, may seem boring and uninteresting, be sure that it will not bother you for several weeks and its purchase is a long-term investment.
Ultra-modern metal furniture will appeal to fans of science fiction and space adventures. It is very functional, and the flickering glare of light on its surface gives it a simply stunning look.
About the choice of kitchen facades and cabinets
The cabinet doors can open vertically or horizontally. In appearance, they can be made of solid wood or with glass inserts.
Transparent doors make furniture visually more light, however, remember that everything is visible behind them, so the lockers must always be in perfect order.
The fewer details and decorations on the front panels, the easier it is to care for them and the less they visually clutter up the kitchen room.
For convenience, wall cabinets must be placed at eye level. In the closed lockers, everything will be hidden from prying eyes. But open shelves will allow you to take everything you need with one movement, without unnecessary opening-closing.
Cabinets for built-in appliances
Cabinets for built-in appliances do kitchen interier a single and unobtrusive ensemble. However, first you will have to purchase all the equipment and only then select cabinets for it. Otherwise, it may happen that the refrigerator you like in functionality does not fit into the cabinet.
Changing one model of equipment to another in the presence of cabinets for it in the future can become very problematic: either you will have to select a new item to fit the size of the cabinet, or in addition to the equipment, buy a cabinet for it.
Even in the smallest kitchen, one floor cupboard will allow you to place the maximum number of all necessary items – from dishes from dry products.
About the wealth of internal equipment
Shelves and drawers
Drawers and shelves in the kitchen modules from Ikea – the top of perfection! These are not just pieces of furniture put together from several boards, this is truly an ideal space for storing all the utensils necessary in the kitchen. The usual kitchen drawer in Ikea is an ultramodern organizer for forks, spoons, knives, and even seasonings. The traveling stand for cans with spices (like a bar) will be a real find for every housewife. Multilevel shelves for storing dishes will help you find any necessary thing in seconds.
Thanks to special dividers from Ikea, you can organize even the simplest drawer exactly the way you need it.
Stylish and fashionable accessories for cooking from Ikea will turn even the most uncomplicated recipe into a creative process. In addition, the Ikea brand is a guarantee of quality. Of course, you can well use your grandmother’s ladle, but once you have tried kitchen utensils made of high-quality materials from the Dutch brand, you will not be able to stop. Simplicity and reasonableness, convenience and safety of their use is the key to the long-term popularity of accessories from Ikea.
New in the 2020 catalog
In the middle of spring 2020, a series of kitchen furniture from Ikea with a frame system called Factum officially ceased to exist (read: production). In its place, 2020 brought the kitchen with a system of frameworks Method. This frame system is more mobile and significantly increases the number of assembly options. Regarding the model lines, the policy remained the same, but the previous lines were replaced by alternative ones..
Read also about 2020 trends in kitchen design.
Alternative kitchen lines from IkeaFactum Method
(in Russia – Hitarp)
Related article: Ikea Furniture