What wallpaper to choose for the kitchen
When ennobling his kitchen, each owner should know that the materials for finishing such a room should have not only decorative qualities, but also practicality. They should not lose their appearance under the influence of moisture, high temperatures and other aggressive substances. Therefore, thinking about what wallpaper to choose for the kitchen, first pay attention to the characteristics of the material used in the manufacture of wallpaper, and then on the texture and color of the rolls.
- Characteristics important when choosing wallpaper for the kitchen
- What material to prefer?
- Coloring wallpaper for the kitchen
- The dependence of quality from the manufacturer
- We determine the number of rolls for pasting the walls of the kitchen
Characteristics important when choosing wallpaper for the kitchen
- Moisture resistance. In this case, the best option would be the material with the highest rate, which is resistant not only to wet processing with the use of detergents, but also to mechanical stress. Any dirt is easily removed from such wallpapers..
- Resistance to sunlight. The kitchen is such a place where furniture is rearranged quite often, so it will not be easy to carry out such an event if part of the wallpaper fades and part remains the same. In addition, faded walls do not look aesthetically pleasing. Therefore, for sunny rooms, resistance to fading is also an important indicator when choosing wallpaper for the kitchen.
- Fire resistance. Since cooking, whether gas or electricity, is associated with a fire hazard, the walls in the kitchen must be resistant to fire. Based on this, it becomes clear why the fire resistance of the wallpaper is also important when choosing this finishing material.
What material to prefer?
Next, we determine how to choose a wallpaper for the kitchen, focusing on the above characteristics.
- Paper. This material has low wear resistance, but when treated with special impregnations, this figure increases. Cleaning with a damp cloth is allowed. A paper impregnated with a water-repellent mixture is not expensive, but the service life of such a product is five years by force. This despite the fact that they are not exposed to sunlight, which contributes to the rapid fading of the product. And then you have to glue the walls again. In addition, this option looks cheap and unpresentable..
Paper with a small layer of vinyl is a little prettier and will last longer, but also short-lived and requires wall alignment for pasting.
- Vinyl. They have sufficient water repellent due to foamed vinyl. But that is why these wallpapers have low density and low wear resistance. Therefore, choosing a wallpaper for the kitchen, monitor the density of the product. A great option would be compact vinyl. It is difficult to damage it without using sharp objects. But on the other hand, it can level imperfect walls and has great durability.
The only negative of this finishing material is called air tightness. But manufacturers, improving the quality of the product, began to produce products with micropores, it is they who allow air to circulate freely.
The high price of vinyl wallpaper pays off for their durability and beautiful appearance.
- Wallpaper for painting. The basis of such a material can be made of vinyl, paper or non-woven. The durability and wear resistance of this product are provided by a special coating, which increases the surface resistance to external adverse influences. Such wallpapers withstand up to fifteen stains, which allows you to spend a minimum of time to change the environment.
- Self-adhesive wallpaper. This wallpaper is wear-resistant, waterproof and resistant to aggressive environments. This coating can be used not only for walls, they can update the kitchen furniture. The main thing is that the surface is flat. The application of this material does not require special skills, even a beginner can cope with it.
- Liquid wallpaper. Ideal for those who do not like to glue ordinary rolls, sophisticated in pasting corners, sockets and ledges. It is very easy to apply. The only condition for using them in the kitchen: the surface after application must be varnished. This is necessary to enhance the durability of the walls..
- Fiberglass Wallpaper. This environmentally friendly material, among other things, has a high level of wear resistance and does not lose its characteristics for many years. The strength of this material allows cleaning with a brush. Fiberglass wallpaper can be repainted several times.
Coloring wallpaper for the kitchen
Now we will figure out how to choose wallpaper for the kitchen, focusing on the colors. Any designer will tell you that for small rooms the best option is light wallpaper, for large – darker shades. And it doesn’t matter if this is a kitchen or another room. A small pattern is suitable for smaller rooms, and large details in the colors of the wallpaper for large areas.
Natural lighting in the kitchen also affects the right choice of wall coverings. Rooms located on the north side are less lighted and require light warm colors in the design of the room: beige, lemon, peach. For rooms located on the south side, it is advisable to choose wallpapers of colder shades: gray, turquoise, blue. In addition, such colors visually expand the space..
The dependence of quality from the manufacturer
A large assortment of modern wallpaper in the domestic market is represented by German manufacturers. Various materials, colors and textures allow you to choose the right option for any kitchen. The most advanced are Italian masters. But our manufacturers are trying to keep up with foreign competitors and produce decent quality products that are not ashamed to exhibit next to European counterparts. In addition, domestic wallpapers are cheaper.
With caution you need to approach when buying Chinese products. Some Chinese-made wallpapers are made of low-quality vinyl, which when released emits harmful substances. Therefore, when buying wallpaper for the kitchen, pay attention to GOST or RAL (European quality mark).
We determine the number of rolls for pasting the walls of the kitchen
To determine the number of rolls, it is necessary to calculate the perimeter of all walls minus windows and doorways. The width of the standard roll is approximately 52 cm, the length is 10 m. It will cover 5.2 m² of wall area. In the same way, consider the area of non-standard rolls. Knowing this, it will not be difficult to determine the amount of wallpaper needed. To be safe, experts advise adding 10% to the size.
Thinking about the design of the room, choosing wallpaper for the kitchen, do not forget about the practicality of such a coating. So that you do not have to often change the “clothes” for the walls, pay attention to the labeling of the rolls. They must be moisture resistant, fireproof, resistant to light and vapor tight. The digital marking of all rolls must be the same, otherwise you can take the goods in different colors. A product label may be needed in case of damage to a wall section. Then it will be easy for you to pick up similar products to replace the damaged area.