What flowers to plant in the garden
Want to decorate your garden with flower beds and flower beds, but don’t know where to start? The advice of experienced amateur gardeners and the secrets of landscape design experts will help you decide what flowers to plant in the country.
- The main criteria for choosing flowering plants for the garden
- What flowers to plant in the garden: beauty for one summer
- Top 5 summer cottages
The main criteria for choosing flowering plants for the garden
- Personal taste preferences
There are a huge number of options for the design of a personal territory. You can create a flower garden from plants in a single color scheme or play on contrasts. Even a novice grower can draw various patterns on the flowerbed. In addition, experienced amateur gardeners and landscape designers advise you not to forget about the reception called creative mess.
- Features of the color life cycle
To make a personal plot look attractive for a long period, carefully study the information on the flowering period, size, and decay time of the foliage of the plants that you plan to use to create live compositions.
- Dimensions and structure of flowers, their leaves and stems
Fans of dense thickets will appreciate the Volzhanka and black cohosh. To form a flower carpet, it is better to use a stalk or tenacity. Pay attention to the fact that irises and yarrow form dense bushes, while geranium and sage look more friable. When creating a flower garden, try to maintain a species balance and a harmonious combination of vegetation.
- Unpretentiousness and simplicity in leaving
Ideal flowers for giving do not need to be watered often, tied up and fertilized. They should easily tolerate drought, heavy rains and other natural phenomena..
If you have small children and curious pets, refuse to plant lily plants. Tubers of these flowers are very poisonous..
What flowers to plant in the garden: beauty for one summer
Plants whose life cycle lasts one season are often called flower beds. Planting them is easy enough, but this process must be repeated annually. In addition, annuals need careful care. When choosing seeds of annual crops for the garden, you must consider:
- decorative properties of plants;
- illumination of the landing site;
- soil composition of the plot;
- features of their growth and flowering.
It is worth noting that in most cases, flowerbed flowers grow better in sunny places. The exception is some varieties that prefer a slightly shaded habitat. Wet fertile soil is a great place for a flower garden of marigolds or calendula. It is recommended to plant nasturtiums or petunias in alkaline soil.
Top 5 summer cottages
Despite the fact that they distinguish about 60 species of these flowers, only 3 of them are considered the most common varieties:
Simple, double and semi-double flowers of marigolds are monophonic or two-ton. The color palette of plants stands out for its diversity (from yellow to maroon).
These annual flowers are beautiful, unpretentious and varied. They are grown in seedlings and seedlings. They are resistant to frost and drought. The most famous varieties of asters: Southern Night, Versailles, Fonteblo, Irida, Gray-haired Lady, Winter Cherry. They delight with their flowering from mid-summer until the first frost.
Tall drought-tolerant and cold-resistant annual crop. Inflorescences are simple and terry daisies of white, pink or raspberry color. Decorative cosmea leaves resemble openwork lace. The plant is sown in open ground in mid spring. The main condition for the flowering and growth of cosmea is the abundance of sunlight.
This unusually colorful plant has a wide range of bright colors. There are three main varieties of zinnia:
- dahlia flowers;
Plants are not susceptible to a wide range of diseases, are not attractive to pests. Zinnia is characterized by a long flowering period in group plantings..
Yields to the above flower crops due to picky care. It is very popular among summer residents due to the huge number of color solutions. Petunias are planted in flowerpots or in open ground. They need sun and regular watering..
Biennials for flower beds and more
The decorative value of two-year-old flowers appears in the second year of life. In the first year after planting, they actively grow and develop, their root system is strengthened. After wintering, flowering shoots appear on biennials. Plants bloom, seeds form.
Two-year-old flower crops are very elegant and quite unpretentious. They are sown in open ground in mid-summer. Experienced growers sow biennials from year to year. This helps maintain flowering continuity. In addition, most plants reproduce well by self-sowing. The biennial family includes:
- pansies etc.
These flowers can be combined with perennials and perennials on flower beds, in containers and bouquets..
Perennials as a decoration for your garden
The life cycle of perennial flower crops is calculated over the years, sometimes even decades. The range of these unpretentious flowers in care is simply huge. Flowering perennials are classified according to the following criteria: wintering method:
- cold-resistant (periwinkle, yucca, peonies, irises);
- thermophilic (dahlias, lilies, gladiolus).
- photophilous (carnations, poppies, delphiniums);
- shade-loving (lilies of the valley, violets);
- hardy (chrysanthemums, irises, phlox).
- tall (ornamental sunflowers, cornflowers, stem roses);
- medium-sized (yarrows, peonies, cornflowers);
- undersized (geranium, sage).
Note! Crops higher than 80 cm are considered high, medium – from 30 cm to 80 cm, and low – up to 30 cm.
Perennial flowers can propagate in various ways: tubers, bulbs, cuttings, rhizomes, division of bushes and even seeds. Perennial care includes:
- soil mulching;
- regular watering;
- removal of dried flowers;
- timely rejuvenation of plants.
Flower garden design on the site
Flower design of the plot: secrets and plant placement options
You can decorate your homestead with flowers yourself. Use for this the basic techniques for placing flowering plants from specialists in landscape design.
- Rabatka. It is a wide floral strip along the paths. Formed from one or more cultures.
- Border. It looks like a narrow strip of uniform undersized plants.
- Arabesques. These patterns of flowers, made in the Arabic style, it is very difficult to create and maintain in good condition..
- Mixborder A flower garden with a complex composition that allows you to observe its flowering throughout the season. It includes dwarf trees, shrubs, herbaceous and vase plants, as well as ornamental cereals..
- Array A huge cluster of flowering plants of various shapes and species.
- Tapeworm. It is mainly used for planting large decorative perennial flowering crops. Located separately from other garden facilities.
- Plant plastic. This technique will appeal to creative people. For it you need a metal frame, a little imagination and patience to grow carpet vegetation on it.
- Container garden. It will help to decorate a summer house or balcony of an ordinary apartment with the help of flowers in flowerpots. Such a garden has high mobility. He is able not only to decorate everything around him, but also successfully used to mask any cosmetic defects in your area.
Before creating a new flowerbed, sketch its plan on paper. It is worth noting that tall plants are best placed closer to the center of the flower garden. As you approach the edges of the clubs, vegetation growth should decline. For complete filling of the flower garden, 3 large plants, 7 medium and no more than 55 carpet or ground covers are enough.
The device of a flower garden in the country
As you can see, there are a huge number of ways to decorate your homestead with flowers. Try your hand at floriculture – you won’t regret it! Enjoy the beauty and the process of creating it.!