How to tile a bathroom
There are some requirements for the finishing materials of the bathroom – they must be resistant to moisture and temperature extremes, undemanding in care and look aesthetically pleasing. Tiles fully comply with these standards, which today has many varieties that differ in color, size and texture – you can spend more than one hour to choose from. But the difficulties do not end there, after the materials are acquired, a new, no less significant question arises – how to cover the bathtub with tiles with our own hands so that the end result pleases the eye for a long time?
- Choose the type of masonry
- Laying tiles in the bathroom: preparation
- Leveling is a Prerequisite for Success
- Rules and markup options
Choose the type of masonry
The choice of the masonry method should be approached responsibly, especially if it is necessary to visually expand the territory. Few people know that you can increase the height of the bathroom by using:
- vertical stripes of contrasting tiles in the corners;
- vertical tile laying;
- vertical arrangement of friezes;
- eye level decor.
Expands the room:
- tile of cold shades;
- small tiles;
- diagonal laying on the floor and horizontal – on the walls;
- transverse pattern;
- contrasting friezes laid on the bottom and top perimeter.
Laying tiles in several ways:
1. Option number 1 “Basic” – the most common and simple. Tiles are laid in rows one below the other parallel to the floor and walls. Tile joints look like a sheet of a math school notebook.
It is important!
The fidelity of horizontal lines is checked using a square, vertical – with a plumb line.
This option is suitable for laying both rectangular and square tiles. The main advantages are profitability (almost complete absence of waste) and a large selection of methods for decorating the bathroom.
2. Option number 2 “In the dressing” is somewhat reminiscent of brickwork – each next row is slightly shifted in relation to the previous one. This method is the fastest and is considered the best way out of a situation where time for work is limited. In this case, a rectangular monophonic tile looks advantageous.
It is important!
For decoration, using tiles of different colors and textures is not recommended – the floor will seem uneven.
Laying “in the dressing” is exclusively horizontal rows, tiles of the same size.
3. Option number 3 “Diagonally” is recognized as the most time-consuming to perform, but it allows you to get the original picture, hide the non-perpendicularity of the walls and expand the space.
It is important!
The tile must be calibrated, differences in size are not allowed. Laying the first row begins with diagonally cut tiles, which means there will be a lot of waste.
4. Option No. 4 “Chess” is executed in two colors, and the method allows laying tiles both diagonally and “seam in seam”. Unusual and interesting looks such a masonry on the floor.
5. Option No. 5 “Modular” will save you from the boring alternation of identical segments. It is better to use plain or contrasting tiles. Despite the fact that the masonry seems somewhat chaotic, you can still trace the rhythm of the alternation of figures.
It is important!
When choosing this option, one should refrain from decorative elements, as modular masonry is dynamic in itself.
Laying tiles in the bathroom: preparation
First of all, it is necessary to prepare a field for finishing – remove the old lining and clean the surface. Laying on the existing coating is allowed only if the old tile is held firmly. It’s easy to check: hear a dull sound when tapping – the old tile will have to be eliminated.
Leveling is a Prerequisite for Success
A smooth surface is the key to a quality result and the absence of such troubles as, for example, a fallen off tile. Plastering the walls and adding to the desired floor level will help bring these parts of the bathroom to proper condition – the angles between the floor and the walls should be 90 degrees.
Do not forget to worry about waterproofing, which will protect the tiles from destruction. Then the surface is treated with PVA glue or primer, which will improve the adhesion of walls and tiles.
Rules and markup options
The marking starts from the far corner from the door. Using the staff, check the evenness of the floor. We draw a line, then a second, their intersection should form an angle of 45 degrees. First, a whole tile is laid, then – cut pieces.
The marking of the walls is as follows:
- on the wall is fixed a strip (building level), which will serve as the basis for the first row;
- for maximum accuracy, a vertical level is set in the upper corner (twine rope, plumb line);
- consider the obstacles in your way.
The bulk of the work
It’s time to think about a primer, which should be moisture resistant. This will not only firmly fix the tile, but also eliminate the formation of mold.
Laying tiles on the floor
Tiles are laid on the cleaned, leveled and treated floor to determine the best direction for the job. Most often, the masonry starts from the middle of the floor.
It is important!
A thin strip of tiles along the wall should not remain.
With a notched trowel, apply the adhesive, put the tile on top, align it. An experienced master often does not need to apply a level, but if you are a beginner, it is better to check each sample. Correct the location will help a rubber mallet. Gaps are set between the tiles.
When applying glue, remember – the thinner its layer, the stronger the connection.
If the masonry occurs without shifting, then it is necessary to lay two rows of cut tiles before the entire floor is closed. You can cut it with a tile cutter or grinder.
How to tile a bathroom wall
It is difficult to imagine a bathroom without a mirror, and this is where you have to start. We outline its contours on the wall, adding 2 mm. If possible, try to choose a location so that there is an integer number of tiles on both sides. In any case, a new row should begin with a whole tile. Be sure to consider the places of fastening of shelves, fixtures, plumbing equipment.
How is grouting done
After 24 hours, grout with a hydrophobic putty, which is sold in 25 color variations. Sometimes grout is mixed with a latex additive, which will extend the life of the finishing material. After drying the grout (see the time required for this, in the instructions), rinse it with water.
Stitching – completion
The mortar mix is applied using a construction syringe. This is necessary to completely seal the holes, sewn tiles from the liquid and the appearance of foci of mold.
Done. After the tile is laid, the grout and embroidery are dried, you can proceed to the final work – installing mirrors, shelves, towel hooks, etc..
As you can see, there is nothing complicated in laying tiles. A little knowledge, skill and desire will help you cope with the task perfectly.