110 options for showers. Help in choosing the material for the shower tray and partition. All about additional features and useful trivia in picking.
Shower cabins are a stylish and very convenient solution for those whose bathroom sizes leave much to be desired. Read more about types and prices below. Photos are attached.
Showers in Western countries have been used for a long time. But in our country, they began to gain popularity only about ten years ago. Of course, in Soviet times, when at best several models of this or that interior item were delivered to the conveyor, there wasn’t much to choose from. But on the other hand, provided that the vast majority of our population lives in small apartments, where the size of the bathroom is very, very limited, it’s a little strange that the use of showers is not so massive.
Not everyone likes to take a long bath. Such acceptance relaxes, and very often, especially in the mornings, it is necessary on the contrary – to cheer up. Taking a shower has several other significant advantages:
- It is economical. Water consumption during a shower is much less than during a bath. On average, experts estimate the water flow in the shower as approximately 3-4 times less than when taking a bath.
- It is fast. Much less time is spent on taking a shower. There is no need to wait until the bathtub is typed, and the process itself is reduced to direct washing, not bathing and splashing.
- It is compact. Even the most spacious shower does not require as much space for its location as an ordinary bath.
- It is hygienic. Due to the fact that only running water, dirt, bacteria and microbes are constantly accumulating in the shower cabin, it accumulates and multiplies much less than in the bathroom.
Choose the type of shower
There are two types of showers:
The open shower is a small tray that is installed in the corner bathroom and two partitions – from wall to wall.
Read our selection article tiles for the bathroom!
When choosing an open shower, try to give preference to higher partitions, otherwise water (while washing your hair) can spill over the top.
A closed shower is a sealed capsule that is closed on all sides (including the top). It doesn’t matter if you put such a shower cabin in the corner of the bathroom or only near one wall – thanks to the closed design, absolutely everything is protected from moisture.
The closed design also protects the bathroom from condensation, so neither the walls nor the furniture in the bathroom will succumb to temperature extremes and high humidity.
Another undoubted advantage of enclosed showers is that manufacturers supply them with all kinds of devices and gadgets. It can be a hydromassage, a radio and even wi-fi.
Choosing a model of shower
Shower corner – the simplest open shower, without any frills.
A shower corner can be:
- Frameless. In this case, the partitions are attached using hinges. Also for mounting, installation profiles can be used. This design looks stylish and does not burden the interior.
- Wireframe. In this case, the frame for fixing the partitions is located only along their perimeter. Most often, sliding doors are in such designs, therefore, from the point of view of functionality and space saving, this is the best option.
- Frame construction with internal partitions. Such shower enclosures are the most common due to their stability..
Also, shower enclosures can be of different shapes: rectangular, square, semicircular.
Here you should focus not only on your taste, but also on the possibility of placing this or that design in your bathroom.
IN small bathroom it is better to give preference to a small rounded shower. On the one hand, you need a minimum of space for its placement, on the other hand, a streamlined rounded shape of the wings allows you to move as comfortably as possible outside the shower cabin (you won’t brush your teeth or wash your hands in the shower corner?).
Rectangular shower enclosures are more appropriate for spacious bathrooms.
|minimum||75 cm * 75 cm|
|maximum||90 cm * 120 cm|
Shower without roof
A shower without a roof (but closed with partitions on all sides) is a compromise between open and closed showers. Such a cabin will not protect the bathroom from evaporation, so condensate will collect on the ceiling (the walls will be protected from moisture). That is why take care ceiling decoration in the bathroom so that he does not lose his appearance.
Who then needs such a shower cabin – you ask? Everything is very simple. Such a shower cabin should be preferred in two cases:
- If you have low ceilings (less than 210 cm), since shower enclosures with a roof require more space for installation.
- If you or your family members are very tall (above 195 cm).
And in either case, you will not be able to pick up a completely closed shower capsule, as this will significantly affect the ease of use.
When installing a closed cabin without a roof, make special drains from the side of the walls so that water and condensate do not flow into the gap between the wall and the partition. Otherwise, this space will become the abode of mold and fungi..
A shower capsule is a completely enclosed shower. Its main advantages:
- Completely sealed
- Protects the interior of the bathroom from temperature extremes
- Protects the interior of the bathroom from moisture
- It is supplied with various additions
- It does not have to be placed in the corner of the bathroom
Among the shortcomings can be identified such:
- High price
- Requires space
- Not suitable for very tall people
Combined shower (with bath)
Combined cabins are also known as shower boxes or hydroboxes. The option, when the shower cabin also includes a bathtub, is very popular today, especially among parents with small children (newborns) who should not be washed in the shower. In addition, this is a great option for lovers of romantic fun in the clouds of foam. Hydroboxing can be a compromise for large families in which it was not possible to unanimously decide in favor of a bathtub or shower.
Among the negative points, perhaps only the following can be noted: the need for space for location and price.
Choosing the materials of the pallet
One of the most popular materials for the production of shower trays. This is due to many reasons:
- Acrylic is a very malleable material, you can give it absolutely any shape, which allows not only to make the pallet stylish, but also to form various additions for installation. Its average life is 15-20 years.
- Acrylic is easy to clean. It is easy to clean, does not require special care products and maintains its appearance for a long time..
- Special paste allows you to fix mechanical defects during use, which extends the life of the acrylic pallet.
However, the acrylic tray may bend (and, as a consequence, break). Therefore, if the manufacturer has not previously strengthened it with metal plates, it will be necessary to additionally purchase a metal frame.
These are the most indestructible pallets, which, if used correctly, can last for more than a dozen years. Such pallets heat up for a long time, but also, accordingly, they give off heat much more slowly. In addition, these are the most budget pallets, their price is low. Of the minuses, one can note a large weight and a limited variety of shapes (several standard models).
Steel pallets are enameled. They are prettier than cast iron, but they also heat up slowly and have a very low threshold for sound insulation. The life of such a pallet is determined by the quality of the coating enamel.
Beautiful and easy to use and care type of shower trays. Warmer than steel or cast iron. Fragile however.
Stone pallets are considered the most durable, stylish and, most importantly, quickly warming up. Most often, marble is used to create a stone pallet, although other options are possible. The disadvantage of using natural stone is its high cost. Therefore, cheaper synthetic materials, such as porcelain stoneware, can be used. It is strong enough, and the similarity to natural stone makes it a very popular material for creating shower trays.
A wooden pallet is more suitable for giving than for home. If the tree is not processed correctly, such a pallet will not last you long. However, it is permissible to use only some wooden elements in the shower tray in the shower, for example, as the bottom on which a person directly stands. In this case, contact with the shower will be pleasant and comfortable due to the naturalness of the tree..
Choose the material for the partition
The curtain in the shower is an elementary partition that can easily be made with your own hands. By and large – these are echoes of the specifics of using ordinary bathtubs, in which it is simply impossible to take a shower without a curtain: everything will be flooded with water. Note that if the curtain is not fixed at the bottom (but only at the top), the risk of pouring everything around in such a shower corner is even greater than the bathroom, if its sides are not high enough.
PMMA, acrylic or plexiglass – a high-quality and popular material for creating partitions in showers. This material is easy to clean and looks stylish enough..
The lightest, cheapest and simplest material for shower partitions. From it it is very simple to assemble a shower cabin yourself. However, the use of plastic can make your bathroom uncomfortable, because due to its cheapness it is often used in hospitals and inexpensive camp sites.
Unlike ordinary glass, toughened is very durable, it is almost impossible to break. This is extremely important for the shower, where there is a great risk of slipping and falling. Tempered glass looks very stylish and gives special lightness and charm to any room. But there is limescale on the glass, so after taking a shower it is advisable to wipe it dry. An alternative may be the use of frosted glass – not with it, the stains are almost invisible.
We choose a complete set
To choose a high-quality mixer that will not rust in a couple of months and will not fall off within six months – it is possible only with the help of an experienced and decent specialist. He will help you choose a convenient mixer for each design of the shower cabin, tell you which materials are more resistant to trace elements contained in water, which manufacturers make the highest quality products, etc. However, some nuances should be remembered:
- Cranes break less often than a lever
- Separate taps are slower but more precisely regulate the temperature of the water
- Faucets must have a minimum non-metallic shell, otherwise the hot water tap cannot be turned off – it will heat up
- It is convenient when the cranes open completely in one bend, and not in endless torsion.
- The density of the water flow depends on the frequency of the holes on the shower head. Girls with long hair will not be able to wash their hair from shampoo if the water scatters in different directions like raindrops.
- A shower head can be mounted in the ceiling, wall or wall of a closed shower, however, in this case, you will always have to wet your head while taking a shower. It is also not worth giving up completely on the mount for the shower – one hand will be occupied all the time during washing. The best option is a hose and a special mount, which will give you the opportunity to remove the watering can at any time and independently adjust the height and direction of the water jet.
- It is better to choose a rubber or silicone one-piece hose for a watering can, since an ordinary metal spiral becomes unusable in a matter of months.
Nozzles are mounted in the walls of the shower cabin, due to which the hydromassage effect is achieved. This function will allow you to relax after a hard working day and recharge your batteries in the morning..
This device is designed to create steam in the shower. This function is also called the “Turkish bath”, as the temperature of the steam is not very high..
For lovers of a real bath, manufacturers offer a wide range of built-in saunas. If the temperature of the Turkish bath is not enough for you and you want more thrills, then it is better to choose this option. The specificity of such a shower cabin is that, despite the presence of a shower, it is intended primarily for bathing procedures, and not for washing.
Another useful feature for fans to conduct spa treatments without leaving home. Aromatic oils are added to the steam generator and you enjoy not only tactile influences, but also aromatic.
Ozone has recently become a trend in medical and cosmetic procedures, but in the shower, the most important advantage of using ozonation is its undoubted killing effect on bacteria, microbes, mold, fungi and other microorganisms. The presence of such a device is very useful for asthmatics and allergy sufferers..
On the one hand, infrared radiation warms up the shower, so bath procedures are much more pleasant and comfortable than in a normal cold cabin. And with the arc – it has a beneficial effect on the body. Thanks to infrared radiation, blood circulation is stimulated and all metabolic processes in the body improve. As a result, fats are broken down, toxins are removed, and the skin becomes smooth and supple..
Wash and listen to morning news at the same time! Save time with the built-in radio!
And with the built-in TV, you can not only listen to the news, but also watch.
With this device, you can enjoy your favorite movies, clips, programs without interrupting bath procedures.
In order for the shower cabin to serve you for a long time, and its operation is pleasant and safe, you must:
- Wash it regularly
- Seal all possible water ingress areas.
That, in fact, is all! Enjoy!