Film for the pool
If you intend to build a pool, you should decide not only on its location and shape, but also on the type of lining – the final touch of work. Cladding materials perform both an aesthetic function and are of great practical importance. Therefore, the means for the final stage must be selected with special care. The best option for decor is a film for the pool, which is very popular today.
- Film for pools: useful information
- The advantages of finishing film
- Cons of film coating
- Types of film coatings for pools
- How to choose the best material
Film for pools: useful information
The film coating, although inferior in quality to the mosaic and tile finish, is recognized by consumers. And there are good reasons for this..
The advantages of finishing film
The film is the facing material of the new generation, which helps to solve two problems at the same time: coating the bowl and waterproofing the reservoir, regardless of its size, shape and type.
Innovative technology allows you to glue the film on any surface: stone, concrete, plastic, tile, iron. This durable and reliable material is resistant to water and microorganisms..
A wide selection of shades and a variety of patterns make this type of coating unusually beautiful. Cladding with a film takes place in the shortest possible time and ensures tightness (even when cracks appear in the bowl).
Film is a very durable material consisting of several layers that are interconnected by a reinforced network of threads. It is ideal not only for the construction of new tanks, but also for the reconstruction of old.
The top layer has a rough surface – a guarantee of anti-slip effect.
To properly lay the film to possess remarkable knowledge is not necessary at all: it is enough to carefully read the instructions and strictly follow them.
In addition, this method of facing is an excellent option for zealous owners who want to save money and decorate the pool. The affordable price will allow everyone to purchase universal material for decoration and waterproofing.
Cons of film coating
But unfortunately, despite the many advantages, the film waterproofing for pools has disadvantages.
The service life is only 6 years. It gets dirty, fades and may lose its original shape. In case of violation of the external waterproofing, bubbles appear on the inner wall of the pool under the film.
And when using a skimmer type film after a couple of years (due to exposure to ultraviolet radiation), a noticeable color difference of the coating appears under water and above the surface.
At minus temperatures, the film is prone to destruction, which creates the need to think over the methods of “conservation” of the pool for the winter period.
Types of film coatings for pools
The market of modern facing materials offers consumers two types of film:
1. Polyvinyl chloride film is a synthetic coating based on plasticized PVC. Special impregnation protects against the negative effects of bacteria, spores and fungi present in water.
You need to know!
PVC film for swimming pools can be of different thicknesses: 1.2 mm; 1.0 mm; 0.8 mm; 0.5 mm Thickness is selected according to the type of pool. For shallow reservoirs, a film of 0.5 or 0.8 is used, for deeper bowls – 1.0 and 1.2 mm. The length of the rolls does not depend on the thickness – 25 m, and the width – 2.4 and 6.8 meters.
The color palette is diverse: white, turquoise, beige … This allows you to choose a copy in accordance with your preferences and fantasies of the designer. There is a PVC film for the pool with marble, mosaic and other patterns, which gives the pond a special look.
2. Butyl rubber film, which is characterized by improved ductility and durability. It is easily cut with scissors and glued. Such a film is good for large tanks where special strength is important. Butyl rubber film is not afraid of changing seasons, because It tolerates fluctuations in temperature and pressure, which means it is suitable for working with any surface, even in harsh winters..
You need to know!
With a thickness of 1 mm, the film may have a width of 3.05 m; 6.1 m; 9.15 m; 12.2 and 15.25 m. The length changes in the following sequence: 15.25; 30.5; 45.75 and 61.0 m.
Two-layer material eliminates leakage and extends its life.
How to choose the best material
First of all, you should decide on the amount that you intend to spend.
It is important !
In the situation with waterproofing materials, the price is a mirror image of quality, so if you want to buy good products, you have to fork out.
Owners of a large pool not rounded but in relief form should pay attention to expensive and thick samples. For smaller ponds with a smooth bottom, you can choose a more economical option.
When buying, it is worth considering two important properties:
- elasticity. This indicator is extremely significant since Allows the material to stretch and not lose quality
- thickness – a criterion on which the life of a film coating depends.
How to clad a pool with a film with your own hands?
In order for the pool to be finished with foil in accordance with all the rules, attention should be paid to some points.
Requirements to Be Observed
- the surface of the reservoir should be flat, without potholes and sagging (roughness of not more than 2 mm).
- the pool side should be strong (when drilling at a distance of 4 cm from the inner edge of the chips should not be).
- mating points must withstand an angle of 90 degrees (except for areas of differences at the bottom).
- vertical deviation should not exceed 3 mm.
- embedded elements must have flange connections.
- it is necessary to maintain a distance of 30 cm from the bottom and walls to the embedded part.
- tiling should be started after applying a film coating.
- in order to avoid the appearance of bubbles and folds, as well as further violations of the waterproofing properties of the film, it is necessary to plan measures to protect the bowl from groundwater.
Foil pool technology
Facing process consists of 4 steps.
1. Surface preparation.
In the presence of bulges and roughness, grinding of the bottom is necessary. If there are potholes, it is necessary to putty them. In the case when it is impossible to bring the surface to proper appearance using the above methods, alignment should be made. When leveling the bead, make sure that the leveling layer adheres to the base without a tendency to peel.
It is important !
The film can be laid directly on the old tile, after making sure that it lies firmly. In case of peeling tiles will have to be dismantled.
2. Laying the backing and mounting strip.
The substrate is needed to protect the film from abrasion on the pool bowl. On the walls, the substrate is fastened with a fixing strip, to which the film is then welded.
The fixing strip is a metal tape (2 meters long, 2 mm thick), on which a plastic coating is applied. The strip is fixed with screws. Drilling frequency – 10-15 cm from the upper inner corner of the pond wall.
The main thing is to prevent overlapping of the substrate sheets and wrinkling.
Use elastic glue if necessary..
3. Laying the film.
To ensure tightness and a flawless appearance, it is necessary to adhere to the welding technology and observe the cleanliness of the working surfaces.
In places of welding, sheets should be “grabbed” by rapid heating and compression, which will avoid the formation of ugly furrows. After welding, the joints are treated with a special joint sealant.
4. Filling with water. First, a 30 cm layer of water is poured into the pool to stretch the vertical layers of the film. Next, the mating elements mating flanges are mounted, and only then the pond is filled with water to the desired level.
It is important !
The temperature of the water for the first filling should not exceed 40 degrees.
Done! The film coating has been laid, the pool is full, and now it’s time to enjoy a vacation on the shore of your own pond, and the idea that this masterpiece is the result of your efforts will make your vacation doubly pleasant.