Radiators (batteries) heating iron
Radiators iron already can be safely called a classicthe heating infrastructure of several countries, including Russia and other CIS member states, even though they have long been abroad relate to outdated equipment and little used. We at the peak of their popularity retain useful properties of cast iron. This is a good resistance to corrosion, which affects the duration of the period of use without repair; and resistance to the destructive effects of various impurities added to the coolant; and ease of operation. On the whole, the Russian heating systems are mostly not allowed to use other kinds of batteries. Let us consider what is a cast-iron radiators.
- Structural features, operation
- Advantages of cast iron radiators
- Disadvantages of cast iron batteries
- Can cast iron radiator to be beautiful?
Structural features, operation
Radiators, cast iron pouring outiron alloy, characterized by a homogeneous mass, and are designed for use in centralized and autonomous heating systems. The sections are manufactured separately and then joined together to the desired length by means of special gaskets designed to ensure complete sealing, and iron nipples.
Application for cast iron radiators specifications depend on the model of the equipment. Separately, each type will not be considered, limited to the general properties.
- Internal ribs iron batteries are arranged vertically, which ensures the best heat dissipation.
- The temperature of the coolant for cast iron radiators should not exceed 150 ° C.
- Optimal crimping pressure is 18 bar.
- The operating pressure of 9-12 bar cast-iron battery.
- Power iron radiators is in the range of 100-150 watts depending on the model.
- High inertia, that is, slow heating and slow cooling of the same, which renders meaningless the heating control.
Interesting: Power, stated in the specifications, is always different from the actual. The reason is very simple: testing equipment occur in laboratory conditions close to ideal. In real life at the temperature of coolant in the boiler of 60 ° C cardinality not rise above 50 watts. That is, if you want to have your radiators were heated up to 60 ° C, it is necessary to maintain the boiler temperature at 75 ° C.
The principle of operation is absolutely cast iron radiatorsis no different from all the others. Heated to the required temperature of the coolant through the pipes enters the radiator compartment and by the impact of heat warms the air in the room.
At the current construction market represented by the following types of cast iron batteries:
- Three channel.
Advantages of cast iron radiators
Despite its "rich experience", cast-iron battery (and they are already more than a hundred years old) still actively used.
Let's try to find out the reasons for their popularity among consumers. Thus, the advantages of cast iron radiators:
- Increased persistence. Let's start with this highly controversial point. For residents abroad inertia heating equipment - it is rather a disadvantage than advantage. After the temperature of the inertia of the system is virtually impossible to regulate. In our harsh winter conditions this minus turns to fat plus, because even when you stop the circulation of hot water (this is particularly important in non-automated solid fuel systems), cast iron is a long time to give heat to the room, not giving shelter to cool quickly.
- The impurities in the coolant. The centralized heating hot water produced in the CHP, where it added a variety of additives and dyes. This is done so that when the breakthrough of underground utilities serving the water color you can quickly understand which system is affected: water or thermal conductivity. Additionally, when coolant flows through the pipes saturated variety of other chemicals that entering the radiator, promptly cause corrosion of internal surfaces. Cast iron radiators consumer reviews describe how the equipment is very resistant to damage and corrosion.
- Longer lifetime. Cast-iron batteries can last for more than 50 years, subject to regular maintenance, including the replacement of gaskets between sections, and flushing the radiator cavity.
- A small flow resistance. Thanks to this measure, cast iron radiators can be used in manual solid systems, ie systems with a gravity circulation of coolant.
- A wide cross-section of the channel ensures the normal functioning, even if some scale deposition in the system.
Disadvantages of cast iron batteries
But do not think that it is the ideal heating device. As with all other types of cells, they have a number of disadvantages:
- Cast iron radiators sizes are very bulky, which greatly complicates the installation of equipment. In addition, they are very heavy, some batteries reach 100 kg.
- Complex Intersection space does not allow to completely clean your device from dust that accumulates in it.
- Low efficiency of the regulation of heat carrier, which is due not only to the specific heat of cast iron, but also a great capacity of the sections.
- Slow warming the room. The average heat transfer one section is 110 watts, and the heat dissipation of aluminum or bimetal radiators is almost one and a half times more. This is true, but as long as we do not consider the difference in the heating processes. In aluminum - convection-air, in cast iron - Beam method of heat transfer. So radiation is a method in which not only heats up the air, but also near objects are considered the most effective.
- Unpresentable appearance. Sullenly standing under the window, battered iron radiator is able to nullify all the efforts of the owners apartment on the improvement of their own homes. This edifice is very difficult to completely mask screens or bars, so many are switching to aluminum or bimetallic analogs, a sleek design.
Tip: The radiator replacement must necessarily be consistent with the special organizations responsible for the correct operation of engineering networks.
Can cast iron radiator to be beautiful?
Last, we identified the lack of iron batteries became their unpresentable appearance.
So do they always remain theordinary and boring and still have the opportunity to pick up iron device to the individual tastes of the owner? In the manufacture of cast iron radiators in the first place is their cheapness, so all models are manufactured based on the mass market, different homely.
Not everyone is aware of this form of production asartistic iron casting, by which on the surface of the heater may receive the original pattern, suitable for the general style of the room. However, this is expensive heatsink, six section one battery will cost more than $ 250.
But this beauty is not only do not need to behide, but even on the contrary, want to show off. Perhaps someday so manufacturers will master this technology that cast iron radiators again outshine all its competitors.
So, getting cast iron radiators, notworth much in a hurry. It is better to sit down and think, and whether it is worth their installed in their premises, or it is better to use other, more modern battery.