How to glue ceiling moldings
Ceiling moldings (fillet, curb or baguette) -wonderful decorative element that allows you to close the gaps that occur between the wall and the ceiling, and decorate the room. Sometimes it is impossible to tell from the way stucco, meanwhile it is much cheaper, and easy to be installed. In the presence of the border the ceiling becomes a finished appearance, look carefully and effectively. Before gluing ceiling moldings, it is necessary to take into account a number of nuances and carefully read the installation technology, as further stages will be set forth in the article.
- Varieties ceiling plinths
- Almost moldings of polyurethane
- Budget PVC skirting
- Required process - preparation
- Installation instructions on the plinth ceiling
- How to glue the ceiling moldings: Video
Varieties ceiling plinths
Skirting boards come in different textures and widths canbe concave (having longitudinal recesses), convex, be embellished with different patterns, laminated (a smooth surface). Fillets mainly produce polyurethane and PVC.
Almost moldings of polyurethane
Polyurethane borders are considered the mosthigh-quality and most expensive of all types of moldings. Polyurethane - a lightweight, durable material, resistant to temperature changes, moisture resistant, elastic, does not absorb odors, durable (serves up to 30 years), does not emit harmful substances, it does not rot, it can be painted in absolutely any color. But baseboards from it can not be used near the lighting, heating appliances. Fillets are produced from polystyrene foam mass which is heated with steam to increase in volume, thereby forming flat blocks. Thus, the polystyrene foam is 98% of the air, so it is very easy.
Ceiling skirting boards are made out of it in styleart nouveau, baroque, classical, Rococo, Empire and others. They may be straight, wide and narrow, patterned, may, for example, a waveform or a plant, other embossed shapes. Because polystyrene manufactured decorative elements are the same as gypsum, but only a few times easier, so the installation of ceiling moldings of this material is not difficult, even for the fair sex.
Budget PVC skirting
PVC skirting board - an economical option. He preferred, if not enough money to buy a polyurethane fillet. PVC curbs steam produced by heating polystyrene pellets placed in a special form. Among the advantages of this type of fillets can distinguish universality (mounted on the floor and the ceiling), durability, moisture resistance, resistance to mechanical stress, ease of installation. However, polystyrene skirting boards, they can not use in the vicinity of lighting, heating appliances, with low temperatures in the rooms. Apply PVC curbs as decor and perform the barrier function of the dirt and dust. On the market a wide range of different bas-relief designs, patterns and colors that mimic various types of wood, natural stone ceiling plinths PVC.
Required process - preparation
Before starting to cut and paste borders, it is necessary to prepare - to calculate their number and to buy the necessary material.
- Calculating the number. First we need to calculate the right amount of ceiling moldings. Here is an example. Assume room dimensions 3 m x 5 m, the perimeter - 16 m, respectively. The standard length of 1 fillet - 2 meters. perimeter length (16m) should be divided by the length of the fillet (2m). Poduchaetsya that you must purchase 8 baseboards. In any case, especially if you kleite ceiling plinth for the first time, it is recommended to buy another quirk.
- Buying floor. When buying keep in mind that the lower the ceiling, the plinth must have, as a visually make the room below. It is also important that it was combined with the walls. If the wall with drawing and ornament, then they will approach the smooth plinth, but a blank wall, you can pick up fillet with texture and pattern. Here are just a granular and pressed from the large curbs difficult to paint, beads are usually visible after painting. When buying, be careful, especially, take care that you do not have got crumpled and scratched items. Ask pack them inside out, not to accidentally damage.
- Buying glue. Before you stick the ceiling moldings, of course, you need to buy glue. Suitable acrylic or polyvinyl acetate. Acrylic Adhesive better fill all the bumps and cracks, it is white in color and is packaged in a special tube under the gun. But this type of adhesive, there is one drawback - it is a long time to set. Polyvinyl acetate adhesive is packed in the bottle (1 liter, 0.25 and 0.5 liters). It is transparent, very viscous, adheres well to the plinth and the mounting surface (concrete, wallpaper, tile, PVC panels, MDF and so on.). At home, it is better to use a polyvinyl acetate glue.
If the ceiling or wall is very uneven, it is recommended to purchase additional tabs - masking tape, various stops, sewing needle and fix with the help of their baseboard until the glue dries.
It is also advisable to buy acrylic elastic putty, putty to all joints and gaps baseboards.
Important! You can not mount the plinth on the PVA and liquid nails.
Installation instructions on the plinth ceiling
You will need:
- miter box;
- hacksaw blade or paint;
- Acrylic putty;
- small spatula;
- fine-grained sandpaper;
- paint and a brush (if you decide to paint the baseboard).
Consider the curb stickers procedure step by step:
- marking. When all the materials are bought, it is advisable to makedrawing, which should be indicated as plinths will be placed on the ceiling. Take this ordinary notebook in a cage and paint your ceiling a piece of paper on the scale of 1 m to 4 cells. Then lay the fillet along the walls, a tape measure and mark plinths in the places where they need to be shortened.
- Cutting the ends of plinths. The answer to the question of how to cut the corners of the ceilingplinth will be the most difficult in the whole-mount technology. Usually they prirezajut 45 gr., So that they can be joined in the corners of rooms. You will need such a device as a miter box (special box, in which there are slots at the desired angle). It can be bought in every more or less large hardware store. This tool has a number of slots corresponding to a certain angle. You must place a curb in the miter box at an angle of 45 degrees. and carefully saw through it with a hacksaw, and then sanded the ends. If carefully to make it not happen, then you have to buy a ready-made corner pieces and glue them on top of the curb on the joints.
- Cutting skirting. Fillet cut with a hacksaw or a paint knife edge after cutting smooth out.
- Determine which side gluing plinth. On the wall make a mark indicating the heightplinth. Then take one leaf fillet and apply it around the room by the marked line first wide and then narrow side alternately to the ceiling. So you will be able to reveal the rough places and choose the best option gluing.
- Application of adhesive bonding. The adhesive is applied with a spatula or pistolon the back side and the ends of the fillet and gently pressed onto the wall or ceiling on the marked line. Spatula excess adhesive is removed. This technique is repeated, gradually moving around the perimeter of the room. Then all the joints are sealed acrylic plinth filler, blending it with wet fingers.
- Staining plinth. Border color day after installation. This optional procedure is performed, if desired, for better aesthetic effect. Suitable acrylic or latex paint. Kras skirtings carefully before wallpapering brush.
Note! You must first cut the under 45 gr. angle and then to adjust the plinth length. If you first cut off the length, then any error when you trim angle, which will result in the formation of cracks during the docking, the plinth will have to throw out. If you do it right, and crop the original angle, it will be in the order and the length of the border, you will not miss.
How to glue the ceiling moldings: Video
In summary, we note that the answer to the question of howglue the plinth at the ceiling, does not belong to the category of highly complex construction. With this technology can handle even the novice. So safely proceed to gluing, after carefully reviewing all the recommendations on installation.