- Select the option ceiling clearance
- Painting and whitewashing the ceiling
- Wallpapering a ceiling wallpaper
- Pasting of slabs of expanded polystyrene
- Decorating plastic panels
- Ceilings of plasterboard
- suspended ceiling
- Dropped ceilings
- Stretch ceiling
- Choosing the design of the ceiling depending on the room
- In the living room
- In the bedroom
- In the kitchen
- In the bathroom
- Choose ceiling Housing
- For Khrushchev
- For modern buildings
- For private houses
- lighting options
- Chandeliers and lighting fixtures
- LED Strip
- Current trends in the design of ceilings
- Ceiling Decor with their hands
Deciding to start a repair, you have to choosethe color palette of the room, choose a way to finish the walls, ceiling and floor, find the best combination of practicality, aesthetics and, of course, price. If you examine the possibilities of modern finishes, you can save the lion's share of the family budget, as is well known, as unplanned alterations may lead to huge waste of mismanagement.
Select the option ceiling clearance
Any repair begins from the ceiling,from its completion, the design and construction depends largely on interior room as a whole. Today, options for finishing the ceiling myriad. They are chosen based on the preferences of the owners, destination premises and, of course, cost. When an urgent need to save are selected classic budgetary finishes - painting and whitewashing, paperhanging or slabs of expanded polystyrene. Relatively inexpensive, but also more practical and aesthetic are suspended ceilings. And, of course, when the question of the repair cost is not as acute, the choice could fall on the elite stretch ceilings.
Let's try to describe in detail each type of finish to help you choose the best option.
Painting and whitewashing the ceiling
One of the most ancient, time-consuming and dirtymethods that require perfectly flat ceiling surface with neat seams of ceiling tiles. Everyone remembers how much whitewash falls flush with the floor and furniture after painting or whitewashing the ceiling. In addition, quite difficult to achieve a perfect monochromatic surfaces streak-free solution using chalk or paint for the ceiling.
On the other hand, painting and whitewashing - and wasIt remains the most budget option repairs. And one must admit that the quality reconstructed painted ceiling looks pretty neat and aesthetically pleasing. Plus, at its discretion, can be tinted white color other shades.
Wallpapering a ceiling wallpaper
It is less "dirty" and time-consuming way thanwhitewash, but the same inexpensive, especially along with suspension and tensioning systems. Design options - a huge set of combinations of different patterns of wallpaper before staining in any color.
If you use a special wallpaper for the ceiling (inIdeally, liquid wallpaper), they keep the original appearance for a long time. It is not recommended to use them in the bathroom or in the kitchen. In addition, the ceiling wallpaper is unlikely to iron out irregularities of the ceiling, so the pasted over surface should be as smooth.
Pasting of slabs of expanded polystyrene
This option is very similar to finish pastingwallpaper, so it we will not stop for a long time. Only, unlike wallpaper, ceiling tiles made of polystyrene foam can withstand moisture and smooth the small flaws of the ceiling surface.
Decorating plastic panels
A good option is finishing the ceilingPVC panels. They are durable, strong, have good sound insulation and resistance to moisture and high temperatures. The latter allows you to use them with LED and halogen spotlights. PVC panels excellent camouflage uneven ceiling, pipes and wiring. Overall, this is a budget alternative to the more expensive boarded and suspended ceilings.
Ceilings of plasterboard
It is a versatile and inexpensive podshivnoy ceiling, allowing to realize all sorts of design ideas to life, to hide any surface defects, irregularities, lighting, electrical wiring, etc.
Perhaps the only negative drywall, in his fear of water, so it is not suitable for the bathroom. Otherwise, the gypsum board - almost ideal finishing material.
- Sheathing anyone, even the untreated surface;
- Ability to hide the wiring, pipes, ceiling joints and other irregularities;
- Getting completely flat and smooth surface;
- Creating a multi-level ceiling;
- Implementation of integrated lighting system;
- Excellent thermal insulation and the ability to maintain the indoor climate;
- Heat resistance and fire resistance;
- Low cost, compared with the tension ceilings.
Unlike previous methods of finishing, withinstalling plasterboard panels have to tinker - to establish a framework to mount the plate, a follow-decorative finishes. Depending on the irregularities of the ceiling and the scope of hidden wires and communications, it is possible to lose 5-10 cm in height. On the other hand, this is a minor disadvantages as a result you get a nice, inexpensive, perfectly smooth ceiling favorite design.
If you are interested in finishing gypsum board ceiling, be sure to read our article about it!
In addition to the above-mentioned ceilings of plasterboard,suspended ceiling can be made of fibreboard (MDF) and MDF. It is durable, safe, water-resistant finishes, a huge variety of color and texture.
Plates MDF and hardboard can mimic wood,tile, raw brickwork and natural stone. The surface of the plates easily colored enamel and oil-based paints, glued film, decorated strips and other elements, thereby creating an imitation beams. Such podshivnoy ceiling will create a "ceiling effect expensive" and implement a number of interesting design decisions.
The most popular type of ceiling average pricecategories. Suspended ceiling - a design, when a wooden or metal frame fixed different finishing materials. With it, you can easily hide all the flaws and irregularities of the ceiling, wiring and communications, will be able to carry out climate ventilation system, install built-in lights.
- Cassette ceilings - long-lasting, durable,moisture-proof and fire-proof steel or aluminum plates (cassette), often used in public areas - restaurants, hotels, offices, medical facilities, etc,
- Ceilings type Armstrong - a budget optionfinishing, widely spread as for office premises, as well as home rooms. It is simple to install, affordable, aesthetic slabs of pressed mineral fibers having thermal insulation, fire resistance and increased svetootrazhaemostyu that allows good save on lighting.
- Suspended ceilings - is very durable, shock-resistant, waterproof and fireproof metal ceiling. He does not need schepitilnom care, does not rot, does not accumulate dirt and dust.
- Mirrored ceiling - can create a rich, airy and stylish design with plenty of light and depth of space.
The latter type of ceilings - modern luxury fashion ceilings. Besides the fact that this kind of design looks very expensive and stylish, it is also quite practical way of finishing the ceiling.
- Stretch ceilings create an absolutely perfect surface, hide asymmetrical shape of the room, close all the bumps and communication;
- Stretch ceilings hold considerable weight, in case you decide to flood the neighbors;
- The material is moisture, it can be used in all the rooms.
- Very wide variety of design - the choice of the color or texture (matte, glossy or satin) prior to application of printing, sequins, jewelry and other things.
Unfortunately, not manage the installation of suspended ceilings without the drawbacks:
- This is the most expensive type of finish;
- They can only be installed by professionals with special equipment (gas gun);
- The canvas is afraid of mechanical damage, sharp objects easily pierced.
Stretch ceilings are not placed in cold rooms without heating or with a temperature below 5 they lose their technological properties.
Choosing the design of the ceiling depending on the room
Now you know the characteristics of each type of finish and will be able to make a choice.
But remember that the choice of material finishes Ceilingstrongly depends on the location. You can not paste over the wallpaper in the bathroom ceiling, and hope that in a month the external appearance of the ceiling will remain in its original form. Most likely, your wallpaper will divorce, if the does not stick out.
In the living room
The ceiling in the living room must be smooth, aesthetically corresponds to the total interior room. Of all the above options will suit almost everyone.
If you want modern and expensive - suspended ceiling. The small space of the room that you want to expand - a mirrored ceiling. Limited budget for repair - podshivnoy ceiling plaster. And the budget option - papering, provided that you have an absolutely smooth surface of the ceiling.
Perhaps it is not too good option forlounge is suspended cassette ceiling or trim plastic panels. They are more suitable for the office premises, offices or medical facilities, but is unlikely to give your living room more style and comfort. Although, of course, it is a matter of preference.
In the bedroom
Selection of the ceiling in the bedroom is not much different from the ceiling of choice in the living room. The main requirement - it should not be too much to dwell on attention and has to rest.
Not the best option in the bedroom would bemirrored ceiling. It too focuses on attention, does not relax, especially considering that in the bedroom, in the supine position, your view will be permanently limited to it. For this reason, it is not necessary to establish where the metal rack ceiling. If you want to visually broaden and deepen the space, it is best to use a glossy surface tension ceiling.
Very well in the bedroom looks drywall, MDF panel, textured ceiling tiles, suspended ceilings.
For a child's room can be given to the entire flight of imagination and bold decisions like colorful illustrations, cartoon sky, stars, etc.
On the other intricacies of registration of nurseries here.
In the kitchen
Kitchen - A place with constant evaporation dropstemperature and special requirements for hygiene, so the kitchen ceiling should be moisture-proof, fireproof, environmentally friendly and easy to clean. Whitewashing and painting the ceiling in the kitchen, as well as wallpapering long gone, because of its fragility. On such ceilings quickly appear stains, spots, they fall off, come unstuck, but because of the large concentrations of vapor are excellent breeding ground for fungi.
If there is a question of price, it is best to use a laminated polystyrene tiles or relatively inexpensive PVC panels.
For large bumps, the best solutions will be plaster, or suspended ceilings.
In the bathroom
Requirements for the bathroom are the same as for food. Due to the large amount of vapor, the risk of accumulation of pathogenic bacteria and fungi, the need for regular cleaning of surfaces in the bathroom did not fit plasterboard ceilings, ceiling, wallpapered or paneled chipboard and fiberboard without a special impregnation.
Few can boast of a large bath arearoom, so the ideal option would be hanging rack and mirrored ceilings, which will allow to expand the space, add more light and shine.
Plus behind them is fairly easy to care for, they are perfectly clean and free from streaks and plaque.
A more expensive alternative is to make the suspended ceiling, which is also ideal for the bathroom.
In the table you can see the final recommendations for each room.
Choice of finishes depending on the room
|Type finish||Living room||Bedroom||Kitchen||Bathroom|
|Painting and whitewashing||Yes||Yes||undesirable||undesirable|
|Pasting of slabs of expanded polystyrene||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Suspended ceiling (plasterboard, MDF and hardboard)||Yes||Yes||Yes||undesirable|
|Dropped ceilings||Yes||yes (not recommended SLR)||Yes||Yes|
Choose ceiling Housing
Small height of ceilings in the Khrushchev, toUnfortunately, not a myth, but a harsh reality. Maximum their height - 2.40 m, or even less if the apartment conducted replacement and floor screed. Naturally, in such circumstances it is difficult to establish a suspension or suspended ceiling, which steals from the already small height of 5-10 cm. But it is still possible, if the actual surface of the ceiling is not too big transition, and the ceiling can be installed with minimal loss of space .
In Khrushchev to mount ceiling with mirror or glossy finish for visual extension and deepening of the space. Proper placement of lighting fixtures will also give a similar effect.
For modern buildings
Unlike Khrushchev, with the choice of a ceiling for thebuildings much easier. Here and ceiling height is greater and the quality of the newer, so you can choose just about any type of finish. It should only take into account that within 2-3 years, the new building will sit a little bit, that can affect the geometry of space. Therefore, finishing materials, especially for the ceiling should be set with a certain margin. Ideal for new buildings fit all kinds of pendant and tension systems.
For private houses
In a private home is an issue of thermal insulation,so the ceiling material should well keep heat in the house. Since the outer covering of the ceiling must take into consideration the layer of insulation (from the expanded clay, rock wool or foam), it is best to use a frame design - suspended ceilings.
For suspended ceilings are first assembled framefor fixing the ceiling of the external (tape, drywall, etc.), and then in the space between the profiles pave the layer of insulation. For suspended ceilings, on the contrary, first create a framework of bars for heat insulation, paving it, and only then pull the outer sheet.
The choice of light source and the correct placement of the light depends on what room you get in the end - small and dark, great, but cold or warm and cozy.
Chandeliers and lighting fixtures
Classic variant of lighting - chandelier in the center of the ceiling. Gives a lot of warm light, perfect to almost any kind of interior, gives the room a refined comfort.
Remember the weight of the lamp! Heavy chandelier unsafe mounted on lightweight gypsum board, it is better to mount to a concrete ceiling base.
Unfortunately, this type of lighting is not very suitable for modern suspended ceilings, so to replace him gradually come recessed lighting.
- Allow to create the necessary lighting for the entire perimeter of the ceiling and make it a specific pattern, if it is provided by designer;
- Easy to install fixtures and replacement bulbs;
- Security. Spotlights do not heat the ceiling;
- Swivel models allow us to change the direction of light as needed;
- This is a relatively inexpensive way to light.
It is non-standard and non-trivial approach tolighting rooms are LED strip. You can not just pick up the unusual color of the lighting, but even create a light show home now thanks to dynamic lighting effects - smooth shifting colors, lumiere, waves, etc.
Current trends in the design of ceilings
What's designers recommend ceiling clearance?
- Bright neutral colors make the room more spacious, lighter and higher. If you choose to use patterns or bright colors - their accent in a small place, so the room does not become clumsy.
- Great divide the space into zones allow multi-level ceilings. For example, the protruding portion of the ceiling will focus perfectly on the bed in the bedroom.
- Glossy, mirror and lacquered surface scatters light, creating the effect of 3-dimensional space.
- For the low room ideal monochromatic light plasterboard ceiling located on the edges of the LED ribbons. This illusion visually raise the ceiling.
- The ceiling, covered with wood clapboard or under a tree, taken in conjunction with light furniture gives the interior naturalness, richness and comfort.
- Varnish bathroom walls is combined with a matte ceiling.
Ceiling Decor with their hands
The eternal question repairs - do it yourself, orgive the job to professionals. In fact, many of the above methods of the ceiling design is not particularly difficult and it can be performed independently. You can easily do blanch or paint the ceiling, wallpaper paste over his or slabs of expanded polystyrene. At a certain skill and study video tutorials you can put on the frame plaster board or MDF board.
The only type of ceiling, the installation of whichrecommended by a specialist - suspended ceiling. Firstly, because it is necessary to install at least a little practice. Secondly, because the stretched canvas using a special expensive gas gun, which you buy impractical for one repair.