Removing wallpaper from the walls
If your intention is to change the wallpaper - wonderful! New colors, texture, pattern - a new mood, a completely new interior! Perhaps you have already looked after pretty wallpaper? To conceive fulfilled, and new wallpaper is well kept, not a bubble or peel, it is important to properly prepare the surface: Remove old wallpaper, putty cracks, primed walls. In this article we look at how to remove the wallpaper from the walls "little blood", without any material costs and nervous shock.
- Tools and materials
- The order of execution of works
- If you remove the wallpaper the normal way is not possible
- How to remove the vinyl wallpaper
- To part with old interlining
- How "free" wallpaper from drywall
- Removing liquid wallpaper
If you have to remove the wallpaper from plastercement mortar, proshpaklevat and primed the walls and if an ordinary wallpaper paste was used as wallpaper, though lost its appearance, but the strength is not lost (under the arms are not torn) - consider yourself lucky, because you can do with the removal of old wallpaper for A couple of minutes! But if subtle wallpaper, easily torn, and even glued them on the PVA glue - you find that easier plasterboard wall sheatheThan to get rid of the hated remnants of unneededWallpaper. But nothing is impossible! After reading the article, you'll learn how to remove old wallpaper, even if they are pasted "forever." Of all the types of wallpaper hardest to remove the old paper wallpaper Soviet times. First - this is due to the limitations of the wallpaper. Second - with the qualitative characteristics of the adhesive used in those times, in the best case - CMC, at worst - Bustilat, carpenter's glue, PVA. Such Wallpaper virtually impossible to tear the whole web. Involuntarily the question arises, how to remove wallpaper in this case? - They have to scrape firmly, centimeter by centimeter. It's pretty tedious, but that there must be a way to facilitate the work? - Of course have! Several of them! Armed with the knowledge acquired you start to work, wondering how easy to remove old wallpaper.
In the old days before pasting wallpaper wallsprepared by sticking newspaper. If the walls were wallpaper, they are not removed, but simply papered the new over the old. Over the years, the walls may have accumulated many layers of wallpaper, firmly adhered to each other. Leave a mess on the wall is not hygienic: in such multilayer wallpaper often mold factory and various insects. This is the cause of a bad smell in the apartment.
Especially dangerous is the situation when the house haslittle children, because the defeat of the walls of the mold and fungi - is the main cause of allergic diseases. To release the walls of all these vestiges of the past, there are several methods described below.
Tools and materials
- a bucket of warm water, which is better to add dishwashing detergent;
- paint roller, a sponge or sprayer.
- a metal spatula or a scraper;
- masking tape;
- polyethylene film;
- chemical removers for wallpaper;
- metal brush;
- iron and cotton fabric flap.
It is more convenient to remove the wallpaper from the top down. First of all, we should hook the top edge of the wallpaper with a spatula, then pull down, hooking badly lagging place. That may be enough. But if bad wallpaper waste will need extra moisture to soften the old glue. Let us consider in detail how to quickly remove old wallpaper.
The order of execution of works
- Before the removal of wallpaper, you mustto observe the elementary rules of technical safety, because the walls are electrical switches and sockets. And at work, you may have to use water or other conductive liquid. Therefore, at the time of work on the removal of wallpaper you need to turn off the electricity. The following seal sockets, wires and switches masking tape
- By skirting with adhesive tape should be glued a plastic film with a minimum width of 50 cm. The other end of the film to be glued again with the help of masking tape on the floor. This will facilitate the cleaning process.
- Now we need to properly soak old wallpaperwith warm water and mild detergent or liquid soap, wait 10-15 minutes and re-wet. You do not need to immediately take up a large area, because as long as you scrape in one place, the other has time to dry. For better penetration of water wallpaper surface should be scratched with a knife or scraper. After swelling should clean off the old wallpaper spatula. You can use special chemical washes for wallpaper. For this purpose, according to the instructions necessary to prepare a solution and applied to the surface of wallpaper sponge or spray. These cleaning solutions are highly permeable and well destroy the adhesive layer, and then removing the wallpaper does not take much.
If you remove the wallpaper the normal way is not possible
If soaking does not give the desired result(Suddenly used for pasting wallpaper glue type PVA or Bustilat), try to strip the wallpaper with a piece of wet cotton cloth and iron. Scrape the wallpaper you need is hot.
If the walls are still remnants of glue,which can not be removed in any way, remove the large grit sandpaper, better using the sander. Burrs left on the walls, it will be necessary proshpaklevat.
Modern wallpaper is much easier to remove than old ones.
- Firstly, most modern wallpaper -bilayer, which provides the possibility of delamination. However, only the outer decorative layer can be removed, which lost its appearance and the "substrate" will remain on the wall and will serve as a basis for new wallpaper.
- Secondly, modern wallpaper glue hasratchet good properties and yet readily soluble or special washes with warm water, which greatly simplifies the process of removing wallpaper.
Wallpapers are made of paper (single and multi-layered,smooth and textured), moisture in the paper basis, as well as fiberglass. Washable wallpaper is well removed from the plaster surface with a spatula. The thing is that these wallpapers are much stronger than paper, less torn. withdrawal method is determined by the kind of wallpaper, and the nature of the surface on which they were pokleit. Walls can be water-resistant surface with a solid or plasterboard. The above described universal way to remove old wallpaper. But inevitably the question arises: how to remove the washable wallpaper. Let us consider in detail.
How to remove the vinyl wallpaper
Vinyl - is washable wallpaper, which have twolayer. The first layer - the basis of which is glued to the wall surface, it can be a paper or flizeline. Second - vinyl (polyvinyl chloride), which gives water-resistant wallpaper, and decorative properties. To remove the wallpaper from the walls completely optional, they provided the possibility of removing only the outer layer of PVC. The base is on the wall, provided that it is firmly adhered. Depending on the base material, vinyl wallpaper has a paper and non-woven. If you want to completely remove paper vinyl wallpaper, you can first tear the outer layer and the base to soak with water and clean off with a metal spatula.
To part with old interlining
It is desirable to remove only the outer layer, asremaining interlining, reinforcing the wall, provide a good basis for new wallpaper. If we decide to remove the wallpaper completely, the paper basis stronger than paper, so it is easier to remove. Usually it is sufficient to hook the edge of a spatula and gently tear off the wall from top to bottom, it is difficult to tear off a spatula helping lagging place. If necessary during the tearing can moisten the inner layer of warm water.
When will remove the wallpaper from the walls,plaster cement plaster, and proshpaklevat pogruntovannyh before pasting wallpaper - can not be afraid to damage the wall of superfluous moisture - in fact in this case we are dealing with a solid surface, and how fast to remove old wallpaper from the surface, which is afraid of water? Consider this question in more detail.
How "free" wallpaper from drywall
Liberally moisten the surface is undesirable -can damage drywall, removing wallpaper with cardboard. In the case of wallpaper pasting before drywall was not primed, the wallpapers removed again without damaging the cardboard layer will be practically impossible. To remove old wallpaper, it is better to use special wash. To improve the effectiveness of the wash, the surface of the wallpaper must be incised or notching; You can make a perforation knife, trowel, toothed roller or wallpapering special tiger.
In severe cases, when not usedwallpaper paste, such as PVA, you can try to remove the wallpaper with a thin layer of cardboard. Since the board is made up of thin sheets of paper glued together, only need to peel the outer layer. This should be done gently, gently exfoliate it with a paint knife. If you decide to remove old wallpaper from drywall in this way, do not forget before pasting new wallpaper proshpaklevat and primed surface.
Removing liquid wallpaper
Liquid wallpaper - is decorative and finish coatwalls and ceilings, which consists of flakes of cellulose or cotton with dyes and other components. The composition has a water soluble liquid wallpaper glue with which they remain on the surface. This type of coverage is good ease of application and removal from the surface. Clay water soluble even after drying. In order to remove the liquid wallpaper, you need to pre-soak them well with warm water. There handy spray bottle, a sponge or a rag. Watering desirable surface liberally with warm water several times. After the liquid wallpaper good swell, they scraped off with a scraper or metal spatula. Interestingly, removed from the wall if desired weight can be reused.
If the repair is delayed, and you are running out dates,it may be useful information on how to quickly remove the wallpaper and save your valuable time. You can use professional tools, such as a steam stripper. This device is well that simultaneously heats and moistens the surface of the wallpaper. With superheated steam can effectively remove old wallpaper and a dried glue. Effects on the wall surface - is minimal.
Old wallpaper can be removed with the film. Watch a video, it is possible that you will like this option.
For creative solutions often is painstakingJob. In repairing the preparatory work for a significant portion of the time, but can not do without them. As you can see, remove old wallpaper from the walls not so difficult, it is important to take into account only some of the features of the materials used.