How to paint a wooden house outside
The very first house in which people tried toestablish a way of life, was a cave. Much later, everything for your home people started to use trees that have a number of advantages. The wood has a low thermal conductivity, excellent retains heat, and is also capable for several decades to maintain its performance characteristics. Unfortunately, not previously aware of the fact that a wooden house in need of protection, which is why many cultural monuments have not been able to live up to our days. If the people at the time knew what to paint the wooden house that he apparently looked excellent, and at the same time was protected from a variety of bugs and microbes, they probably would have benefited from the advice that you can read in this article.
- Why aging tree?
- Paint for new wooden house
- Preliminary stage - careful preparation
- The better the paint timber?
- How to paint a new wooden surface
- Stained old wooden house
- How to paint a house with an old paint
- Preparing wooden facade
Why aging tree?
First, let's look at why the wooden houses begin to collapse.
Firstly, we must still understand that the tree -is a living material, which in any case is subject to aging (aging because people too). But we, unlike trees can somehow affect the fading processes using various medications, vitamins, lotions, etc. Trees do anything like this can not only man able to help them stay young.
Secondly, the construction wood affectedNumerous natural factors, such as water, sunlight and all sorts of small insects, along with mold and fungus. All these natural "disasters" (as for wood, these minor troubles really are) destroying the surface of the wood, causing it coarsens, turn gray, and its fibers lose their strength and "stand on its hind legs." These negative effects can be seen in just a few weeks after the new house was built.
Precipitation in the form of rain and snow at first causeswelling of the wood, and after drying it takes place backlash. As a result, on the surface there are cracks, in which the fungus starts to develop, and this small dirty dog may have a different incarnation. So, the blue fungus and mold fungus hardly have any damaging effects on the structure of the tree, except that spoil the appearance. But the rot fungus has a "stealth" - he develops inside, so it is difficult to notice.
Thirdly, it is not necessary to lower the accounts andBark beetles, which in 2-3 years can sleep in peace inside your home, and you will not even suspect such neighbors. But when they wake up, you will not be good.
Fourth, the atmospheric load affectwooden buildings located in coastal areas or in open spaces, far more than the houses that are at a decent distance from the water source and which are protected by other buildings or forests. In addition, the north side of the building is much less susceptible to negative influences than the south and west.
As you can see, the reasons for the aging of the wood is more than enough. But to help her all you can, if you use the right paint.
Paint for new wooden house
So, you have built a new wooden house and now want to paint. But how to paint a house from the outside? What kind of paint to use for this purpose? Let's investigate.
Preliminary stage - careful preparation
Before staining, it is necessarycarefully prepare the surface of the wood, because it is, as mentioned above, the "live", breathable material, and not banal concrete or brick. This preliminary stage allows you to create the necessary framework through which improves paint adhesion to the surface and significantly increases the durability of the finished coating.
- With a garden sprayer and not toostiff brush to remove dust timber and various small inclusions. Water is much better absorbs the dust, than if you just walked through the brush across the surface.
- Did you notice mold on the tree or blue. In this case, it is necessary to remove the special tool (by the way, there is an excellent drug in Tikkurily).
- The resin (if any) must also remove metal spatula, and the place where it has been varnished to knots (it will be smoother).
- Various metal parts, such as heads of nails, screws and other, you need to cover the primer on metal.
- After completing this work, you must give the timberrest for one and a half to two weeks, closing her film. Do not forget to leave a hole for ventilation in warm weather in general, you can remove the "blanket".
- If the tree is moist, and dry it does notpossible, then right on a wet surface can cause zakolerovanny primer antiseptic and leave the house alone until then, until you get a chance to dry it.
The better the paint timber?
Still, some paint to paint a wooden house? Three types of coatings can be bought for this purpose:
- acrylic paint
- oil paints
Antiseptics They have a high penetrating power. Depth of penetration - 4-7 mm. It allows you to securely protect the wood surface from all atmospheric loads, mold and rot. They are coating and glazing. Glazing antiseptics transparent, which means that they not only retain the texture of wood, but also gives it a noble, natural shade.
Opaque antiseptic completely hide the texture of wood, while maintaining its relief.
acrylic paint characterized by high weather resistance and excellentretain their color and gloss for a long time. In addition, this paint allows wood to breathe, which means that your home will be "alive". Presence in the paint acrylate and elasticity that allows you to "live" the paint in the same rhythm as the house, that is, it does not crack from all sorts of distortions.
Oil paints as well as the acrylate exhibit excellentweatherability, and as antiseptics perfectly absorbed, but they do have one rather significant drawback - slowly dry out (a day or more). Addition time surface coated with oil paint may change its color and become matte, which in principle is not too noticeable in light shades.
Of course, that any, even the most expensive and high-quality paint, sooner or later will require an update. When there comes the moment?
- the average life of glazing antiseptics about 5 years, although this figure may vary as a large, and in the smaller side.
- have antiseptic coating - up to 7 years;
- in acrylic paint - up to 10 years;
- in oil paints - up to 6 years.
These figures, of course, approximate - you have to see when your house will lose its original appearance.
How to paint a new wooden surface
No special skills are required for the application of paint on the wood, but still there are some nuances that you have to consider when performing this work.
- Applying a primer. Antiseptic primer is very important to protect the wood from fungus, mold, and blue. If you suddenly decide that you can omit this point and immediately go to the stain, then a couple of years (and perhaps before) you will regret it. Do not skimp on the antiseptic, because it can significantly extend the life of the finished coating.
- The application of paint. The first and most important rule - you need to apply paint to completely dry surface and in several layers (2-3 layers is sufficient). Each layer must be dried.
Rules applying paint on a wooden surface:
- should be periodically stir the paint to tint it was always the same;
- apply paint brush is best, as this way you can achieve uniform staining wood, but do not overdo it with paint;
- You can use the color scheme for the primer, then the color will be perfect for better painting;
- Do not paint the wooden surface belowthe scorching sun - the paint dries too quickly, which is not desirable. The most favorable weather for painting works - warm, cloudy and windless;
- and paint, and an antiseptic should be applied only in the longitudinal direction;
- end portions of logs and planks are thustheir weakest link - the water in these places very quickly absorbed. To avoid rapid decay and possible destruction due to high humidity, the ends need to carefully handle and several layers of primer coating material.
Stained old wooden house
If your home is not a new one, and you see thatthe facade of the mold, peeling paint and other defects, you should think about how to update the color and give the house a chance at a new life. Fresh paint will significantly improve not only the appearance of the building, but will also allow you to experiment with color.
Before staining needcarefully examine the surface of your home - perhaps somewhere something has fallen off and that something needs immediate repair. In addition, western and southern part of the house more often quickly lose their attractive appearance, because it falls on the side of the most negative impacts from Mother Nature.
Perhaps, you are limited to painting only those sites that are most "worn out" and may decide to completely repaint and all dramatically change color.
In the case of repainting should be followedthe following rule - either use the same paint (meaning the manufacturer), or the same type of paint, which you malyarnichali last time.
What if you bought a house and did not know what he was painted early? Then you can try on their own to determine the type of paint product. This is done visually.
- acrylic paint looks and feels like a thin skin. Usually it cracked along the grain.
- Oil paint eventually becomes matte and when you touch may leave a light chalk mark on the skin. Cracked it across the grain, or cell.
- antiseptics glazing over timebecome thinner. If the surface is glossy, it is possible to paint the house antiseptic same or darker color, or even oil paint. If traces of the antiseptic is almost not visible, you can use acrylic paint.
In addition to the visual evaluation of the surface, can beto conduct a little experiment: to tear off a piece of old paint and roll it into a roll. If it folds easily, so the house was painted with acrylic paint, and if it just crumbled in your hands, it is oil paint.
How to paint a house with an old paint
So, if you have found (or know) that your houseIt was previously painted with oil paint, so it will update the same oil paint, acrylic, or well, just for starters, cleaning the surface with a wire brush wood to the ground. If staining produced acrylic paint, then we paint it the same, or (if they want too much) with oil paint, but also pre-clean the surface of the old paint.
Preparing wooden facade
First you need to clean up the surface of the wood from the hanging pieces of old paint, dust and dirt scraper or brush. Then rinse with water, spraying the walls of the spray.
If there is mold, then it must be removed with a special solution, and for better adhesion of paint to the surface of the wood, it can be further treated with an alkaline detergent.
Old, rough and rotten boards replaced with new ones, or they will spoil all the work your unpresentable appearance.
The paint can be removed with a scraper,metal brushes or chemical means, but if it keeps well and does not peel off, it can leave. By the way, mechanical way to remove old paint is preferable, if you want to complete all the work as quickly as possible, and if you have time, car and small truck, you can use the method of "chemical peel". This option is much better preserves the texture of wood, but it takes a lot of time, but the result will certainly delight - wood surface will be like new.
Additionally, you can carry out grinding, of course, if it is required.
Next act in the same way that is offered for new wooden surfaces.
Well, perhaps that's all you need to know those wholooking for an answer to a question than to paint a wooden house from the outside. Adhering to these rules, you can keep your home beautiful and "healthy" for years to come.