Foam as a heater
The foam is environmentally friendlya material that is able to provide effective insulation, high fire safety and thus bring significant economic benefits during the construction of buildings and structures, as well as their further exploitation. The polymeric foam material is similar in structure to natural materials: microscopic cells (as cork) are filled with gas or air. It is this structure and provides excellent thermal insulation properties of the material, so as the foam insulation has been recognized worldwide. The use of foam in the construction of buildings as insulation is one of the cheapest ways to achieve good thermal insulation.
- The properties and characteristics of the foam
- The use of foam as insulation
- Wall insulation: inside and outside
- Thermal insulation foam floor
- Insulation of roofing
- Protection of the foundation from the cold
- Foam insulation for communications
- Insulation of refrigeration chambers
The properties and characteristics of the foam
The basic properties of the foam is characterized by its features, and advantages over other materials:
- Environmentally friendly and harmless - regulated hygienic conclusions manufacturers and state standards.
- Low thermal conductivity. According to this index, as well as a vapor barrier foam has no equal today. The material consists of 98% air, and he is known - the best natural heat insulator.
- Stability and fire safety in largetemperature range. Its physical and chemical properties do not change with changes in ambient temperature. Foam fire-resistant material. It belongs to the group of plastics, emit during combustion, as well as wood, carbon dioxide and water. But high-quality foam does not support combustion: it contained a fire retardant material gives the self-extinguishing property.
- Low dynamic stiffness which provides good insulation.
- Resistance to various technical environments, andalso to microorganisms. The material does not emit water-soluble substances, does not decompose, so when released into the soil or groundwater has no detrimental effect on the natural resources.
It is important to know! Foam used in construction must be protected from interacting with chemical compounds - alcohol, turpentine, paint solvent, acetone, kerosene, gasoline, the various resins which can completely dissolve the foam and damage the cellular structure.
- Resistance to biological factors. Polystyrene is not a breeding ground for bacteria and mold fungi, so their appearance it is possible.
- Low weight. Due to the minimum density, the foam had virtually no effect on the change in the load on the foundation and load-bearing structures.
- Easy handling and simple installation.
- Durability. It has a virtually unlimited service life.
The use of foam as insulation
Due to the totality of all the above properties and especially the use of low thermal conductivity foam construction allows:
- first - to reduce heating costs of the building during the operation;
- Secondly - to save a useful area;
- third - to reduce the costs of loading and unloading operations;
- Fourth - to reduce the costs for the use of sophisticated mechanisms and tools in the processing;
- Fifth - reduce the period of construction works to give a warm and comfortable building.
It is important to know! The foam is well combined with many materials, such as cement, lime, plaster, foam paint, asphalt coating, roofing, artificial fertilizers, caustic soda, soap.
The foam is widely used indevice of warm floors and basement insulation, walls and roofs. Actively used this material for thermal insulation of pipes, cables, ducts and other underground utilities.
Foam has become indispensable in the production of refrigeration and freezing equipment and in the construction of low-temperature warehouses.
Wall insulation: inside and outside
There has been increasingpopularization of foam insulating walls. This is primarily due to the constant rise in price of energy, and, as we know, the foam wall insulation can reduce heating costs by 50%. In this case, the heat in the house will feel cool and eliminate the need for frequent turn on the air conditioner.
The foam is used for internal and externalwall insulation. On the outer side plates are bonded with cement mortar, mastic or adhesive or attached using mounting accessories. Foam protect from possible exposure to open flame variety of non-combustible materials: bricks, ceramic tiles, aluminum or steel profile, plasters.
In the interior of the premises, polystyrene foamShows its noise-protective properties. And in these cases it must be protected from open fire. This is done using plasterboard sheets or ordinary plaster.
Plates for outdoor mounting should havethickness of 50 mm, while the internal 30 mm is sufficient. When attaching the foam plates with the outer side wall surface of plaster cement mortar, using a metal grid.
Thermal insulation foam floor
When the foam insulation of the floor iseffective heat-insulating means, and also reduces the transmission of impact sound (move furniture, steps, etc.). Boards of foam 50 mm thick layer is usually placed on an insulating material. After sealing joints on the top of the fresh concrete or sand-cement mixture or particle decking plate thickness not less than six cm.
Insulation of roofing
Thermal insulation foam roofs of apartment buildings andpublic utilities buildings is carried out in several ways. One of them - "Non-ventilated (warm) roofs." In this case, the roof cover slabs 70 mm thick foam, pouring a waterproof bituminous top layer. The second method - "Vent (cold) roof" when the foam plate is mounted on the back side of the roof, leaving a cavity vented to prevent condensation of water vapor. Especially important is a good thermal insulation of the roof at the device of a living room in the attic.
Protection of the foundation from the cold
It is no secret that the foundation of the building is the foundation,and thermal comfort, and durability of the house depends to a large extent from him. Therefore, the foundation insulation, particularly in latitudes with severe winters, plays a pivotal role in the construction of buildings. The foam is used traditionally as a middle layer of three-layer foundation blocks. No worse than proved himself as the foam insulation (feedback was very good) in the construction of buildings bespodvalnyh: insulation boards are placed in one or more layers to the prepared site and poured concrete.
Further, the structure is being built in the usual manner. In this situation, concrete screed and serves as the foundation, and as a subfloor. The foam is also used for external insulation of the foundation, to prevent freezing of the soil. To this end, along the basement dig a trench width of 1 m, laid insulation boards and covered.
Foam insulation for communications
Yet, until recently, thermal insulation engineeringCommunication does not give proper attention, although the heat loss through them is about 30%. Recently, for thermal insulation of pipelines of water supply, telephone lines, air ducts, buried cables are increasingly began to use foam. This material is now fine line can be run at a lesser depth, reducing the volume of excavated soil much. In this case, the special role played by the possibility of giving the foam almost any desired shape, adapting it to the requirements of the design.
Insulation of refrigeration chambers
The foam used in construction refrigeratingpremises at the device windows, freezers, refrigerated storage rooms, refrigerated wagons. In this case, taking into account not only its coefficient of thermal conductivity, but also moisture absorption. According to these two indicators foam outperforms all existing insulation materials previously used in refrigeration, for example, and miporu ekspanzit that absorb moisture slowly, which reduces the effectiveness of the insulation. The foam also does not have these disadvantages - water absorption plates is not more than 3%. Moreover, its insulating properties are not deteriorated over time, and the lifetime is 100 years. That is why the thermal insulation of ceilings, walls, partitions refrigerated space used is polystyrene.
The use of foam for insulation of walls,roofs, ceilings, floors in homes, as well as utilities and refrigeration facilities is caused by its special physical and technical properties. There is no doubt that in terms of price / quality of the foam - the best insulation. Houses, insulated with foam plastic, will last for many years to his master.