Make the right choice among all the abundanceflooring rather difficult task, and everyone chooses what is more usual and familiar. Today, there are materials that in their structure and characteristics resemble wood or natural stone, but by artificial means with the use of natural raw materials. The most outstanding representatives of this category of flooring is laminate and tile. When choosing a material is often the question arises - what is better: a tile or laminate? To answer this question, we must consider the advantages and disadvantages of each of these materials and know which room they can best play to their strengths.
- Advantages and disadvantages of floor tiles
- Advantages and disadvantages of laminate
Ceramic tile is perfect for a bath, toilet and hallway
This type of flooring is quite popular for many years, even centuries, and it continues to grow.
By the operational benefits floor tiles include:
- Durability and longevity. Tile is able to last for 50 years or more, and the level of durability allows it to lay in areas with high load on the floor surface.
- Robust and undemanding material. Tile is one of those materials that "put and forget '. Caring for her the most simple and requires no special tools or cleaning methods. The surface of the tiles is difficult to damage or scratch, and if it does not drop anything heavy, the tiles can withstand fairly heavy loads.
- A wide selection of colors, textures and patterns. Today, technology allows to make very high quality simulation under different materials with diverse designs. The color scheme of the tiles is very wide, you can choose to suit every taste.
- Eco-friendly material. Only natural raw materials are used for the production of tiles.
- High moisture resistance. Thanks to the specially treated surface of glazed floor tiles do not absorb water, which is very useful for the kitchen, bathroom and toilet.
- Not exposed to fire and rot.
For an objective assessment should be noted and disadvantages of ceramic tiles:
- The high thermal conductivity of the material. Tile, like natural stone, cold material. For additional heating can be installed "warm floor" system. But in the "minus" is a positive thing. Floor tile is perfect for hot climate.
- The complexity of the installation. Today, for laying tiles using a special glue that greatly simplify the process, but it did not affect the overall progress of the work. Tile still requires high skills in handling tools and increased attention during installation.
- Great weight. Coverage of the tile has a very large mass, which is reflected on the requirements of the base. It should be as reliable and able to withstand heavy loads.
- The fragility of the coating. This lack of tiles is not so noticeable on solid concrete foundations. In addition, the tile is marked on the Mohs scale of strength 1 (talc) to 10 (diamond). But on wooden or poorly prepared substrates with grooves or other defects of the floor tiles over time can give a crack or split.
- Slippery surface. After contact with moisture on the surface of the tiles on it, you can slip and fall. In fairness it should be noted that the manufacturers have succeeded in creating a variety of non-slip surfaces. Because when you select should pay attention to this parameter.
Floor tiles can be laid in almostAll: bedrooms, kitchens, dining rooms, hallways, corridors, bathrooms and toilets. When laying the tiles should be aware of its high thermal conductivity, surface topography and level of strength. From these three parameters will determine in which room must be placed one or the other tiles.
Laminate is suitable for the kitchen, bedroom, hallway and a common hall
Invented at the end of the last century, the laminate has quickly gained market of floor coverings and today holds a leading position.
Laminate flooring has a number of advantages, which distinguish it from other floor coverings:
- Easy installation. Due to the method of fixing a laminate Zamkova all the work on its installation can be performed alone with minimal time expenditure.
- Good heat and sound insulation properties. But it should be noted that high performance is not achieved at the expense of the laminate, and the substrate due to the presence of cork, foam or polystyrene foam.
- A wide choice of colors and pattern. The surface of the laminate is made so that to simulate virtually any natural material and may be made in any color. Although in practice the laminate on the number of colors and patterns is slightly inferior floor tiles.
- Good resistance to abrasion and household chemicals. It should be noted that, like tiles, laminate has a certain degree of load on the marking and abrasion resistance. More accurate data are given in the table below:
- Light weight. With this laminate can be installed on various types of bases and reduce the load on them, which in turn reduces the costs for their preparation.
- Ecologicaly clean. This option is somewhat controversial, since the surface of the laminate is made of plastic, but its performance is completely meet all environmental standards and hygiene requirements. For the production of the panel itself using pressure-treated wood.
- Affordable price.
From laminate disadvantage is the following:
- Low moisture resistance. Despite the fact that manufacturers have created a waterproof laminate and its ability to tolerate high humidity is very low. Because of this laminate is not recommended to put in the bathroom, kitchen or toilet.
- Low sound insulation. Since the laminate surface is made of plastic, all fallen on him a hard object or a hard sole shoes will produce a sudden loud sound.
- High demands to the ground. Despite its light weight, the laminate imposes very strict requirements to the ground. Therefore, before laying it will have to spend some serious preparatory work.
- Squeak connected panels. Click connection laminate when properly prepared substrate and non-compliance with stacking technology may produce unpleasant squeaks.
- Specialized cleaners. Since laminate flooring was "afraid" of water, cleaning it requires the use of certain means and methods of treatment, which is not always convenient.
- Small service life. Compared with tile laminate life not exceeding 25 years.
Laminate is perfect for these premises: bedroom, nursery, hall. Controversial is the hallway, bathroom, kitchen, toilet. When laying the laminate must be considered indoor humidity and possible to stack it in a dry room.
Laminate flooring and floor tiles can be quitelaid at the same time. The thus simple way coverage is very original. On top of that by using this approach, you can distinguish between certain space area, which will allow more efficient use of the strengths of the tile and laminate.