What should I do if the flooring creaks? To escape from this obtrusive sound, cutting ears and nasty on your nerves? Who will save the situation? Perhaps you can correct the shortcomings themselves, of course, if you are willing to incur some financial cost and inconvenience associated with the work? Ready? Still would! After this horrible, exhausting creak quite insolent and has passed all bounds of what is permitted! It's time to fight back!
- Common causes of squeaking
- Annoying squeak sources
- Eliminate creaking: ways
- Uneven subfloor
- Loose fit chipboard to concrete
- Inconsistency humidity
- Exfoliation of parquet on screeds base
- Reason: poor-quality substrate
- No gap between the coating and the wall
- Shriveled parquet boards
Common causes of squeaking
Wood has a very "interestingproperty "- eventually it dries out and flooring due to the fact that it is made of wood, too, is not immune from shrinkage. Its surface becomes rough, peeling occurs and there are gaps between the individual dies. Such metamorphoses not pass unnoticed - there is a very strong tension, which is accompanied by a distinctive sound - creak, so that you hate.
Creak can occur at all the new coating, but the causes of such incidents is quite understandable:
- or there was not enough wood to dry;
- or the process of drying is carried out at high speed.
And that, and another can entailthe occurrence of unpleasant rattle and squeak that occurs when walking on the parquet. However, in part to avoid the problem of creaking in the fresh coating is still possible - take with you to the store a special instrument for measuring moisture content of wood. But to find out on what kind of technology has been made parquet is almost impossible - the seller and the manufacturer had not you tell all the subtleties and nuances of the production process, so only rely on their own intuition, and integrity of the manufacturer.
Annoying squeak sources
And yet, why creaking parquet? After all, surely there is something that causes a similar sound, and so on your nerves. In fact squeak can be many sources. This friction dice on a nail, and a dried under the parquet glue or mastic, and uneven screed and abnormal location of the log, and incorrectly selected substrate, and a host of similar reasons. Also grinding can occur due to improper mounting plinth to the floor and wall.
Eliminate creaking: ways
So, the cause of the squeak you have found, and foundits source, it remains the case for small - to fix the flaw, and get rid of intrusive sound, tearing your heart to pieces. Consider ways of getting rid of the creaking depending on its causes.
If after long clarification of relations with the parquetYou came to the conclusion that the cause of the creaking in the uneven floor of the floor, then there is only one way out - to break everything and start from scratch. Parquet should be removed, and the rough floor cleaned from debris and dust. All unevennesses should be covered with cement-sand mortar, and a new screed should be made from above or use ready-made mixtures for liquid floors.
Make sure that the unevenness of the fresh screed does notExceeded 2 mm by 2 square meters. M of the bottom of the floor, otherwise the elements of your new (well, or old) parquet will start to creak and collapse again. For reliability on a concrete screed, it is best to lay the sheets of particleboard - so the floor will be perfectly even and your chances of a quiet and peaceful life will increase greatly.
Loose fit chipboard to concrete
Vile and the sound may come from the sheets of particle board,roofed under the parquet. This happens because in some places plywood (chipboard) loosely fitted to the concrete base. Unfortunately, eliminate squeaking without drastic methods in this case is practically impossible, although there is a method that can save the situation, but it will help only if the creak of a local character, that is, the sound is heard in one or more places of the floor.
So, you will need:
- Drill with 10 mm drill
- cement-sand mortar (1: 3)
Determine the place where the sound comes andbit help remove two or three planks parquet. Then, drill, drill a hole in the ground floor of 10 mm diameter. Dialing into the syringe solution, pour it into the hole and leave this little mess for 24 hours alone. A day later, repeat the procedure and allow the solution to re-sets. At the end of the second 24 hours you can put dice in its place and check the quality of their work. Most likely, your hardwood floor will be quieter water below the grass.
It also happens that the parquet begins to squeak onlyin some months, for example, in October-November. There is, as a rule, because of the abrupt change in the level of humidity in the apartment. All summer parquet breathe fresh outdoor air and the pleasure was silent, and in the autumn, with the start of the heating season and the arrival of the heat at home, began to die over the summer to give the accumulated moisture and dry out - here's a creak.
Eliminate the nasty sound in this case, it can be very simple methods:
- Constantly monitor the level of humidity inside the building, measuring this parameter by means of the hygrometer. For parquet humidity indicators should not be lower than 50-60%.
- During the installation monitor the humidity and temperature in the apartment, do not forget that the level of the parquet humidity should be 9-10%. The optimal temperature for laying parquet - 15-20 C?.
- Observe the rules of care for parquet: wash it with a damp (not wet !!!) and a rag to avoid water on the surface of the floor. Moisture is quickly absorbed into the die and is hammered into the gaps between them, which leads first to the swelling planks, and then to their deformation.
Exfoliation of parquet on screeds base
If squeaking sounds in only a few places in the room, the radical methods of its elimination can be avoided very simple way.
- Find all the "squeaky" point and highlight those areas with chalk.
- In the center of each of these sections using masking tape to make markings in the form of small pieces of tape spaced 20 cm apart.
- A drill of 2 mm diameter drill holes right at the marked up until the drill bit comes into contact with concrete.
- Using medical syringe and adhesive for flooring, squeeze a small amount of glue in the holes and let it dry for one hour.
- During drying, the adhesive begins to foam and a partit may come out to the outside. It is to the viscous mass is not spoiled parquet, and you use masking tape. Just separate it from the floor and discard. If you still got a bit of glue on the parquet surface, remove it with a solvent.
- It is advisable not to walk on the "patient" parquet floor throughout the day, and the places where it was carried out "operation" to pin down any heavy objects - bags with sand or flour, weights, etc.
- After 24 hours, you can do the restoration work: the holes are laid pieces of colored wax crayons and polished. The main thing is to match the color of chalk from your parquet color.
Reason: poor-quality substrate
An unsuitable or poor-quality substratetoo, may cause creaking. In this case, one board - remove the parquet layer and the substrate perestelit. No other way! Although you can still avoid mishap on the stage of the purchase of the insulating layer, if you make the right choice in store.
Best option - substrate "Tupleks". It consists of three layers: the top and bottom - polyethylene and serdtsevinka - foamed polystyrene. This material is perfectly evens the base of the concrete screed, holds heat well and has elasticity and resistance to mechanical damage.
The substrate made of polyethylene foam, of course, is good, but it requires additional damp-proofing, and its thickness is not entirely suitable for laying parquet.
Fashionable today substrate made of cork, unfortunately, is not suitable in the case of the deck at her floorboard as any large leak can cause decay and growth of molds.
No gap between the coating and the wall
Sometimes during laying parquet boards layso close to the wall that is not even the slightest chink. This is wrong, because the die is constantly changing its shape - they increase in size of the high humidity, the decrease of its shortage. Swollen dies can no longer fit in the allotted space for them and walking them start actively "attacking" a wall that becomes the cause of squeaking. If you increase the distance between the wall and flooring planks, the creaking will disappear. So the advice here is one - to remove the baseboard and trim parquet fabric around the perimeter of the room.
Shriveled parquet boards
Failure humidity conditions in the roomcertainly lamentable impact on your dance floor. If excess moisture leads to swelling of the dice, its deficiency can cause cracks of them. Therefore, always keep in the apartment desired humidity level. But if your parquet has Rassokha places and cracked, you can solve the problem of creaking in the following ways:
- Make scraping the old flooring with its subsequent varnishing. The varnish will penetrate into the pores of the boards and the gaps between them and the creaking finally stops.
- To conduct a special operation codenamed "Search and Destroy", in other words, to find a squeaky die, remove them with a chisel and replaced by new ones.
- If the boards creak, but have quitepresentable and you would not want to remove them permanently, you can do this: carefully remove the plate, clean everything that was under it and lay a thin cardboard that span. On top of the cardboard base of the plate and lay firmly nail her nails so that the nail heads are recessed 1-2 mm in the floorboard. Next slide repair damaged dies: seal the nails and polish the surface.
There is another way to eliminate squeaking individualDice parquet, which is hammering wooden pegs into boards, jarring. To do this, between the creaking dies need to drill a hole diameter of about 8 mm at an angle of 45 degrees to the floor. Thin dowels of wood, oiled carpenter's glue, hammer into these holes and the ends cut off a chisel sticking out. Seal flaw putty for wood and buff to a shine.
If you squeak flooring - what to do and how to deal with it you do not, then our advice to you be sure to come in handy. Follow them, and you will succeed.