Styrofoam: types, characteristics of insulation
The purpose of development and production of advancedinsulating materials is to create a product that is as satisfying the technical, construction, sanitary and operational requirements. While ideals have not been established, each of heaters has its own priorities and negative qualities. As well as polystyrene foam, is actively used in the construction of low-rise private buildings used in industrial construction, facade decoration. This insulating material has advantages and some disadvantages to be aware of the owner of a residential property or a house under construction, who decided to choose this type of insulation.
- Scope, characteristics
- Technical and operational benefits
- Technological advantages of plates
- PPP Disadvantages foam insulation
- Types of construction Styrofoam
- How polystyrene foam to insulate?
- Reality and myths about the dangers of
- Styrofoam insulation for floors
- Wall insulation EPS boards
- Conclusion: summarize information
Field of use light effectivelyinsulation material is regulated by GOST 15588-86. On the basis provided in the regulatory requirements we recommend the use of foamed polystyrene to perform middle layer bearing exterior walls. This type of insulation are equipped with ventilated facades, attic floor, occasionally flat roof structures, based on the non-flammable base. The most frequently used material for thermal insulation of floors, particularly when installing floor heating with screed. It is essential in the regeneration and insulation of basements, foundations and plinth insulation in the zone of continuous or periodic exposure to groundwater.
Technical and operational benefits
- Polystyrene foam that gets in ourcountry abbreviation PPP differs from mineral wool, fibrous, brittle solid and bulk materials strength and rigidity. He holds a rather impressive load on the material characteristics does not affect poststroitelnaya drawdown.
- The heater has a maximumthermal technical indicators justified its peculiar structure and composition, comprising 98% of the air mass, or an inert gas. Due to its excellent insulation performance helps to reduce material costs during the heating season is almost 30%.
- PPS is not hygroscopic, which is why it is oftenchoose to equip underground structures subject to constant attack from ground moisture. Plastic cell unavailable for the penetration of water, moisture can seep only the intermediate channels located between the cells.
- The material has almost no temperature limits for the construction of residential and utility buildings, used by almost all domestic regions.
- Polystyrene foam frost, withoutbreach of structural links can withstand from 80 to 120 cycles of freezing and subsequent thawing. These data indicate manufacturers in the technical description of the material. Based on the research calculates the guaranteed service life. That is, the positive results of 120 cycles suggest 60letnem term flawless operation.
- Polystyrene foam improves sound insulation parameters.
- Foam polystyrene plates are inert tomost chemically aggressive environments such as salt solutions, alcohols, alcohol and dyes, acids, oils of animal and vegetable origin. No damage and structural changes it runs in contact with the concrete, aerated concrete, bleach, any type of plaster, paint.
- Insulation does not rot and other biological effects.
- No radioactivity.
Technological advantages of PPP plates
In combination with the lack of strength and fragility of lightweight expanded polystyrene based advantages install it:
- With equipment cottage or country house polystyrene foam insulation to cope performer who does not have the skills of the builder.
- PPP is easily processed, cut by a simple knife or hand saw, with the help of any complexity insulated building elements without any problems.
- Light plate slightly increase the load acrossbuilding structure on a foundation, thereby strengthening the foundation is not required when performing maintenance work or insulation facade. It does not need to build a strong fundamental basis for new construction.
- Power insulation panels with a top layer of plaster is not essential to increase the outer perimeter of the building, so do not have to extend the roofing system.
- Work with polystyrene can be without specialprotective measures, it does not cause irritation, redness or painful reactions to the skin of hands. At the artist work is not an allergy, eczema, eye disease, or respiratory tract.
Disadvantages of foam insulation
There are limitations: using this insulating material can not insulate the timber from any design. It is not suitable for the arrangement of the walls of the timber or logs, as a natural remedy prevents steam and excess moisture through the wooden wall. With the help of expanded polystyrene does not equip the roof with wooden rafter systems.
The upper layer of polystyrene foam cancollapse under the direct influence of ultraviolet rays, X-rays and high temperatures. From the negative impact of PPPs is always protected layer of plaster, deposited on a special metal mesh, sometimes used simple coloring. Disruption can occur during storage under direct UV irradiation or heat.
As polystyrene insulation is not recommended forindoor installation. However, building regulations sump type of insulation is not recommended at all. Acceptable location of any type of insulation material after the vapor barrier layer. That is, the first steam, then insulation.
Types of construction Styrofoam
As a building insulation material used two types of foam polystyrene insulation:
- block form (BSS), the resulting expansion of styrene with additives in the form of a press;
- extruded polystyrene, produced on extrusion equipment by forcing molten polystyrene mass through a nozzle, which determines the shape and size of the product.
Two different mode of production predeterminedifference specifications and performance properties of the final product, specific molecular orientation different conditions. The main advantage of a heater prepared according to the first technique, a reasonable price, but it is inferior insulation performance extrusion products. Block heater, shared on the plate after manufacture, absorbs more moisture, worse prevents the passage of heat and sound waves.
How polystyrene foam to insulate?
In the fight against foam flawsStyrofoam developers modify the formula by introducing various additives. Technologies and components introduced into the insulation, closely guarded by manufacturers are their commercial and intellectual property. Foamed polystyrene building a new generation of flame retardants contain, prevent burning and prevent the rapid spread of fire. Active development are conducted in the field of long-term increase in the material, resistance to external negative of various origins.
Definitely worth giving preference to productsknown brands such as BASF, Knauf, a domestic giant Tepleks, a number of well-known American firm.Ih products are tested on a mandatory basis, and is certified confirmation of sanitary safety. For the majority of home-made products construction companies applies in disbelief, as buildings constructed by them are subject to public inspection.
Reality and myths about the dangers of
Intense media discussed means of fire innotorious nightclub called "Lame Horse" brought on expanded polystyrene insulation a lot of complaints. Despite the fact that the product from reliable manufacturers sold accompanied by documents confirming the safety of the entire heater amateurs forces classified as a hazardous product. Of course, low-quality polystyrene foam can cause damage that is associated with impaired production technology. Products manufacturers with a reputation, engaged in production and sale of insulation materials for over 60 years, unnecessarily criticize and discredit.
The cause of calls to the abandonment ofpolystyrene foam, steel harmful gaseous emissions, poisoned 155 people in a burning club. No one thought that the toxic products of combustion are isolated and other materials. Toxicity of burning natural wood and finishing materials is similar secretions polystyrene, used for lining the ceiling of the club. Equally important was the poor ventilation and other violation of security regulations.
In Europe, the thermal insulation materialapplied for decades, in practice, confirmed the absence of harmful effects. There is no accurate data on the occurrence of hereditary diseases and complex changes that occur due to warming of the PPP. It secretes toxins only when melting and temperature readings in excess of 320 degrees Celsius graduation. In conditions recommended by the manufacturer, the negative effects excluded. New version with improved properties are classified as non-combustible materials harmless, measured at the ETICS criteria.
Styrofoam insulation for floors
The rigidity and excellent carrying capacityEPS boards substantiated priorities of this material for thermal insulation of the floor. Convince use styrofoam insulation characteristics by which minimizes the loss of heat through the surface of the lower floors, it reduces noise penetration.
For the insulation of floors is preferably usedplate, whose thickness does not exceed 50 mm. They are usually placed on top of the bulk roll or a material having insulating properties, is placed between the joists. Butt joints between slabs must be sealed. Then make a concrete screed or sand-cement mixture, a layer of which should be equal to 6 cm. It can be put in place ties grooved chipboard, or apply both schemes in the complex. Seamless screed or "dry" floor function as cushioning element. It is this interlayer excludes penetration of the sound vibrations in the design of the ceiling, the floor.
Wall insulation EPS boards
For insulating walls polystyrene plates used two technologies:
- installation of insulation elements with long nails with wide hats;
- installing slabs using special adhesives.
Before applying the adhesive to the outer surfaceWall should be cleaned of contamination. Clear is necessary and the material itself, and the wall is slightly wet. In order to reduce its consumption of adhesive may be applied to fragments in increments of 20 cm. For the treatment of walls keramsit adhesive will take longer than walls made of aerated concrete or brick. The plasticity of the adhesive allows time to eliminate the flaws, correct the wrong position of the plate. At butt joints glued boards necessarily. While the binder dries, block or record the extruded polystyrene boards can, leaning them to the insulated surface. After the final drying of the binder material of the wall covered with plaster, decorative panels or facing brick.
Conclusion: summarize information
After weighing the pros and negative quality of PPPs caneasily determine the choice of the thermal insulation layer. This type of insulation is characterized by an excellent combination of performance and value. Price material not belonging to the category of low-priced products, quickly justified in the operation of a good energy-saving house.