The question is, what is better - or granite tiles,It is becoming increasingly important today. This is not surprising, because if the tiles among the finishing materials, we can say, survivor, the granite, in terms of design and construction, not just the young and still very young material. It began to produce and use in the mid 70-ies of the last century, but in such a short period of time he managed not only to take a leading position among related materials intended for, but also tends to displace them from their homes positions. Ceramic market is evolving today, so fast that even a specialist is not so easy to navigate in it, not to mention ordinary people. For example, many people know the difference between ceramic tiles on the tiles of granite? And which one is best to use for finishing or repair? Let's try to understand this.
- What is granite?
- The composition and manufacturing process
- The unique quality, durability
- Versatility material
- Differences from porcelain tiles
- What better tile or granite?
What is granite?
To find the answer to the question what is better - granite or tile, you need to learn as much as you can about this relatively young, and maybe a little familiar to many materials - granite.
Porcelain is an artificial finishing material, which is superior in many respects its natural counterpart - granite.
And this superiority is manifested not only inits technical properties, but also in terms of design - it has a wider color gamut. It also competes with ceramic tiles. These serious technical characteristics such as strength, almost zero water absorption, abrasion and frost, joined by exceptional art forms.
The composition and manufacturing process
Porcelain was the unique propertiesdue to its composition and the particular technology. high-quality clay (kaolin and illite) are used for the manufacture of porcelain, which are added to silica sand and feldspar, and mineral pigments to give different colors. The manufacturing process takes place in two stages.
At the 1st stage of the materials in special formscompacted under pressure of 500 kg / cm. Next, the compacted material is calcined at 1300 ° C. Under the influence of a temperature change their structure at the molecular level - get high-vitrified monolith.
In fact, the production of porcelain is likethe formation of natural stone, with the only difference that this process takes place under the supervision of a person, and he uses those components and processing methods that allow you to get better than that of natural stone, performance properties.
The unique quality, durability
Porcelain got its popularity in use by a number of properties that distinguishes it from many other finishing materials:
- Resistance to mechanical damage, hardness. Such boards can withstand loads of up to 450 kg.
- Resistance to abrasion. The most durable of granite is considered matte.
- Low water absorption. Special production technology provides a very dense structure and as a result porcelain absorbs only less than 0.05% moisture. That is why it is perfect for use in rooms with high humidity.
- Frost. Porcelain tiles can withstand temperatures down to -50 ° C.
- Fire safety. This non-combustible building material.
- Resistance to temperature changes. Changes in temperature from -50 to + 50 ° C does not affect the porcelain stoneware.
- Resistance to various chemicals - alkalis, acids, household pollutants.
- Environmentally friendly. Porcelain is absolutely safe for the environment and for human health.
A distinctive feature of granite is the versatility of its application:
- Coating of floor and wall coverings of bathrooms, toilets and kitchens, as well as ladders;
- finish office space (its spectacular view is indicative of the company's respectability);
- revetment of buildings facades;
- Finish outdoor terraces;
- use as a floor covering in areas where there is a large cross, such as restaurants, supermarkets, railway stations, airports;
- lined pools and other places where the surface is constantly in contact with water;
- facing surfaces are on the street.
Porcelain is suitable not only for the construction of new buildings - it also actively used in the reconstruction of old ones.
In this industry its scope is exceptionally broad, they are: houses, schools, public, commercial and industrial buildings, construction of balconies, and others.
Differences from porcelain tiles
Externally, the ceramic granite tile looks no worse, recalling natural granite. He is also a matt, semi-polished, polished, glazed and in relief.
The most significant difference from porcelainTile production technology is. This material is colored through, across the depth so that when the upper clawing layer is practically not noticeable because the bottom is exactly the same color and texture. Even the deepest chipped little visible to the attentive passer. But it is very important that the material looked as good as new for the entire period of operation.
The usual tile with the small chipsIt bares its basis, because it is painted only on the outside. Tile paint, usually at the last stage, covering glaze usual basis. Porcelain tiles are stained before forming - the whole composition and not the finished tile. Thus, the resulting material is homogeneous over the entire thickness of the color.
Also, due to the technology differencesmanufacturing, ceramic, compared to ceramic tiles, has a greater resistance to chemicals and temperatures, as well as greater hardness. This leads to the versatility of its use, that is not true of ceramic tile, area of use which is rather limited.
Ceramic tile is exposed to the greatest waydegradation over time, since it has different surface micro cracks and veins. In porcelain stoneware, they are not available, and it assigns it to the category of materials, not subject to the influence of time.
What better tile or granite?
The unequivocal answer to this question, perhaps notexist. All depends on the cladding destination conditions in which facing materials are used, and, not least, on the subjective assessment - human taste. You can only make recommendations in cases where it is best to use ceramic granite.
- The first option - when the air temperature (ason the street and in the room) can fall below zero, or on the cover will be affected by precipitation. Since the structure of granite is that it practically does not absorb moisture, exclude the possibility that it will crack in the frost. It is often used in open spaces: they spread the entrances to the cottage, a pond on a summer residence, garden paths, it looks good at the pool.
In the kitchen or bathroom the room conditions are not so extreme, so in these areas can be safely put a normal tile.
- The second option. Porcelain is irreplaceable as a floor covering in public, commercial, office areas with intensive cross (he is not afraid of truck with boxes, ladies in high heels, falling heavy objects, breaking glass), but not required in the apartment.
Currently granite willinglyand is used for facing living rooms, hallways, kitchens and halls in country houses, whose owners want to arrange the room in a contemporary style and make them presentable for a long time. This is understandable, because the material is properly selected for the cladding - a pledge of comfort, cosiness and good mood. Therefore, it is better for you - the usual granite or tile - decide for yourself and let your choice will not disappoint you.