How to bend drywall
Often in interior design can be seen bentsurface made of plasterboard. People who do not work with the finishing material, can not figure out how to bend the drywall so that the sheet is not broken. It turns out that manufacturers produce special arched drywall sheets that lend themselves well to a variety of strains. However, there are several ways to perform these operations on a normal path wall drywall. All methods have the same base but different choice of tools and accessories.
- Arch drywall GKLA
- Methods for bending conventional drywall
- Professional Advice
Arch drywall GKLA
If the project is necessary to perform interior designarch poluarki, as well as any other dome-shaped or wave-like curved shape, it is necessary to purchase a special arched drywall. The thickness of this material is 6.5 mm. Sheets easily bend, while there is the smallest possible bending radius. For the installation of drywall Arch uses a frame made of arched profiles with cutouts on the side walls, which allow them to bend smoothly.
Methods for bending conventional drywall
1. Harvesting of the drywall on one side wetted with water with a brush or roller. It was then left to rest for 5-15 minutes so that the moisture absorbed in the plaster layer sheet. Produce assembly moistened sheet, screwing it to the metal profiles, after drying the material becomes firm and holds a predetermined shape. This method is acceptable only in situations requiring a small bend, or break the sheet.
2. To reduce the bending radius of the sheet using a special tool - the needle roller. With it, it makes a hole in the sheet on one side, making it easier to bend drywall. Before bending the sheet and soaking with pure water at room temperature.
3. If the hand is not the needle roller, the work can be done with a sharp knife. This modified technique. Make cuts the cardboard layer on one side of the sheet at intervals of 1-5 cm. The incisions should be placed perpendicular to the line of bending the workpiece. From the frequency of cuts depends on the radius of the bend drywall. If a concave structure, it is necessary to cut through the cardboard from the inside. If the sheet will bend outwards, the front surface is incised. In this method does not require wetting water.
Important! Perforated side should always be placed inside the bend.
4. This method allows us to achieve a very small radius of bending of the sheet. To use it, use the cutter, in the absence of which the work is carried out with a knife, but the quality is reduced. With the help of the cutter is held gypsum sample, after which it should be no more than 1-3 mm.
Important! The frequency bands selected cutter depends on the degree of bending of plasterboard.
When using arch GKLA on the walls or partitions need to strengthen the structure.
There are two versions of this work.
1. The first rough layer is made from a conventional sheet of plasterboard, designed for walls and ceilings. It uses the above ways to bend it. Next is the installation of a further layer, which is made of arched drywall. As a result, possible to obtain a rigid structure having a nice smooth bend.
2. All of the layers are made of arched drywall. The number of layers may vary from two to four. This method allows to obtain perfectly smooth rounded surface. But it requires a lot of material and labor costs.
Important! When installing curved structures located on the ceiling and high on the walls, more advantageous to use the arched drywall. Works manages to hold fast to arrive at a perfectly flat and smooth bend.
As you can see, the process of bending the sheet of drywallnot extremely difficult. As in any business it requires expertise, which will enable, based on the complexity of the design, to select the most optimal method of its manufacture. Availability of the necessary tools will facilitate the task.